Ever Had Your Door Magnets or FE Stolen?

Yes we' ve had a circle cruise magnet stolen of mr. Smee Found it 2 doors down. One night I knocked on door a boy around 6years old answered I asked him if it was theirs, that I was missing one just like it. He said "it's ours"
Do I believe it ? NO! Since it was the only one on his door. And two doors down. Especially since I had Captain Hook Jake, Izzy,and Buddy. But if he wants it that bad that he has to take it from someone else. Let him have it. Funny though,after that night , never saw it on his door again. From now on I will put purchased ones on top and homemade ones lower. I hope it will deter them a little. That's the chance you take, I guess!!

We had our table mate (who was concidentally 3 doors down from us on our deck) inform us that we had so many magnets that she instructed her 8yo DD to steal the ones she liked from us. :scared1: She was trying to tell us how proud of her DD she was because the DD refused to do it. Umm, okay? :confused3 The DD was mortified. We had extra magnets that we had packed and placed them on their door for the DD. The kicker was the mother's response the next night "That's nice but the ones on your door are nicer than the ones you gave us." :eek:

We had our table mate (who was concidentally 3 doors down from us on our deck) inform us that we had so many magnets that she instructed her 8yo DD to steal the ones she liked from us. :scared1: She was trying to tell us how proud of her DD she was because the DD refused to do it. Umm, okay? :confused3 The DD was mortified. We had extra magnets that we had packed and placed them on their door for the DD. The kicker was the mother's response the next night "That's nice but the ones on your door are nicer than the ones you gave us." :eek:

I just said "OMG!" out loud. That is DEPLORABLE. That mom should REALLY be happy that her poor daughter didn't inherit her rudeness and actually somehow managed to learn right from wrong in spite of her mother!

Neighbors on the Hawaii cruise had a Hawaiian turtle magnet stolen from their door.

Someone down the hall on the Baltic in 2010 had a fish extender vandalized. Someone put raw fruit in it and squished it around.

The most infamous occasion was the January 2010 Panama Canal cruise where a couple of teens videoed themselves vandalizing door displays, then posted the videos on YouTube. They taped themselves doing a lot of other stuff they shouldn't have been doing, either, like harassing girls and going into crew areas.

They weren't doing this because they wanted to keep magnets for themselves, it was a thrill for them. Names and room numbers on the magnets would not have stopped them. Labeling them may help to prove it is yours if you find it on another door but these boys were apparently throwing stuff away.

I do not put anything I care about losing on the outside of the door (like magnets purchased in port)

Never got one stolen and even if they were I prob wouldnt be upset but definately would have the thought in my head wondering who might have taken them. Never even thought to put "stolen from room XXX" on the back. That is a great idea for my next cruise!

We had our table mate (who was coincidentally 3 doors down from us on our deck) inform us that we had so many magnets that she instructed her 8yo DD to steal the ones she liked from us. :scared1: She was trying to tell us how proud of her DD she was because the DD refused to do it. Umm, okay? :confused3 The DD was mortified. We had extra magnets that we had packed and placed them on their door for the DD. The kicker was the mother's response the next night "That's nice but the ones on your door are nicer than the ones you gave us." :eek:

Permission to sound off:
People are jerks! If I made rad magnets, there was a reason I made those. People shouldn't encourage their kids to take them. What is wrong with people? If you packed a lot of magnets, you're allowed to do so. People shouldn't have sticky fingers.

I made kinda' crappy magnets that were super specific to me and my family when we went in July. Seriously I made a magnet that was the tattoo I have on my ankle (in case I got super drunk I could see Shaun the sheep and know that's my room. Because seriously who else would have Shaun on their door?), and if someone stole that...

this is really so sad.

This is our first time doing FE, I'm making our FE and most of our FE gifts are also hand made. I would hate for anyone not to receive theirs. And I know my dd would be SO disappointed if anything happens to the FE gifts we are to receive. I'm also concerned because our cabin is right near the laundry room, so probably a lot of traffic.

Really, just what's wrong with people? :confused3

We've had our FE stolen before and it was zip-tied to the fish so it took a little doing! It was a custom embroidered FE and was very disappointing that someone would work so hard to steal something that I had created. (Well, who knows if they worked hard or just cut the hanger -- I forgot to see if the zip ties were still there after the fact.) But the day we were in Grand Cayman, we came back to the room to find it missing. The response from Guest Services (not that we expected them to be able to do something -- just wanted them to know it was ours if it turned up in Lost and Found or anywhere else on the ship) was that anything with Disney or Disney characters is liable to be taken as a free souviner.

UGH! I can't believe that happened to your FE group! :scared1:

I just got home from buying all my FE supplies. We're going to be hauling these from California to the Med. I've started telling my daughter about "surprises" we might get in the "Fish Pockets". If our stuff gets stolen it would put such a damper on the whole trip.

I also don't want to be on an excursion wondering if our FE stuff is being ransacked.

Now I'm wondering if we should participate at all. Not to be dramatic, but I really would rather skip the whole thing than be totally buzzkilled if someone jacked our FE stuff. Magnets, eh, whatever. But FE! That really sucks.

Does stuff get stolen - sometimes. But I don't let it dampen my enthusiasm for my vacation. I love making magnets for my door and my friends' and family's doors. I have a blast with the FE's too. I make most of my gifts too. It takes a lot of time and effort, and I would be very disappointed if one of my FE friends didn't receive it. But I won't let it keep me from the enjoyment of making it and distributing it.

It's part of my vacation - and NO ONE is going to ruin my vacation! I just have to say, oh well, and move on.

We've had one or two magnets take a walk and my mom lost her FE bag (it was a cheap reusable shopping bag that I had ordered as part of my FE gift with the cruise info on it). I replaced her bag and we didn't have any further problems.

Just have fun!

We were on the Jan. 6 cruise and had a DVC magnet on our door - the lifesaver "welcome home" one but it was dated 2012. I went to the desk and said we were hoping for a 2013 one to add to our collection and he gave me a new one ---- it's a wooden ship's wheel but only says Welcome Home Member and the DVC symbol but they no longer have dates on them. I guess we'll be seeing these same ones for a long time.......Debbie

We've never had a problem with stolen magnets or FE. That said, we use a zip-tie on our FE.... and there was this one time when we were leaving at the same time a mom was admiring our door with her very young little girl and as they started to walk away the little girl (not knowing any better) snatched one of the "minnie heads" that bordered the edges of our door. Mom quickly took action and told her to place it back on the door that they were only to look at. Of course, I told her to go ahead and take it. I just adjusted the ones outlining the door so the missing one wasn't noticeable. We passed by their cabin often. We knew where it was because of the very small "minnie head" on it. :goodvibes So, if you lose a magnet, just assume it was snatched by a sweet little girl/boy who just didn't know any better rather than by the teen just out to create mischief. Maybe you'll feel better about its loss that way. ;)

We've never had a problem with stolen magnets or FE. That said, we use a zip-tie on our FE.... and there was this one time when we were leaving at the same time a mom was admiring our door with her very young little girl and as they started to walk away the little girl (not knowing any better) snatched one of the "minnie heads" that bordered the edges of our door. Mom quickly took action and told her to place it back on the door that they were only to look at. Of course, I told her to go ahead and take it. I just adjusted the ones outlining the door so the missing one wasn't noticeable. We passed by their cabin often. We knew where it was because of the very small "minnie head" on it. :goodvibes So, if you lose a magnet, just assume it was snatched by a sweet little girl/boy who just didn't know any better rather than by the teen just out to create mischief. Maybe you'll feel better about its loss that way. ;)

You have such a good attitude lol :thumbsup2 I'm more the, "Get off my lawn you dang hooligans!" type of person.

So yea, get off my FE and door magnets...hooligans! ::yes::

It isn't nice to take things that are clearly left as decorations, and it is terrible if people do it just to be mean like the teens who documented their rampage.

But would you leave other valuables unattended? I know people pay a lot for the personalized FEs, but would you leave a $20 towel unattended on the deck, or an ipod on a table?

I was going to bring some of our Disney magnets on our first cruise, including one I've had for 14 years with the Disneyland castle and a picture of my then 3 year old on her first trip to Disney. When I heard the magnets sometimes disappear, I decided to leave it at home because while it only cost $5, it means something to me. We use an inexpensive tote bag decorated with Mickeys for a FE and our magnets are mostly FE gifts we've collected. Some of the bottlecaps don't stick well, and I'm sure more than one has fallen off and been kicked down the hallway. In fact, on the Wonder, a lot of the magnets weren't strong enough to hold through 10 years of paint, even on the inside of the door.

FE and decorating the doors is supposed to be a fun game. If it stops being fun, don't do it, because who wants to spend their vacation worrying about theft or coming back to the cabin and getting made about missing magnets.

Nancy

Just an FYI... If anyone is worried about theft, decorate the inside of the door instead. No one will steal them and you can still enjoy them.

this is really so sad.....I'm also concerned because our cabin is right near the laundry room, so probably a lot of traffic. Really, just what's wrong with people? :confused3
We are by an elevator and I thought the same thing :confused3

UGH! ....I also don't want to be on an excursion wondering if our FE stuff is being ransacked....I really would rather skip the whole thing than be totally buzzkilled if someone jacked our FE stuff. Magnets, eh, whatever. But FE! That really sucks.
I made magnets that are not necessarily for keeping, so I don't mind them being taken, but I do have issue with the gifts that others put effort into making for another person. Rudeness...still no cure :sad2:

Just an FYI... If anyone is worried about theft, decorate the inside of the door instead. No one will steal them and you can still enjoy them.

You are exactly right!! :thumbsup2

So far we've only had dvc magnets on our cruises. The first cruise, my kids were younger, I had put their magnets above the circle so it looked liked a Mickey head and one was stolen:( They were pretty Upset) I got it replaced and packed both away.

Making some this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter