Ever had a bone marrow biopsy or aspiration?

julie_yet

Fashionably Sarcastic
I had some blood work done and found out that I have thrombocytosis which is a high platelet count. I've been refered to a hematologist and was told they might need to take a bone marrow sample. For anyone who's had it done what exactly does it entail and how badly does the procedure hurt?

You asked, so I assume you want to know the truth to prepare yourself so you won't be shocked.

Never had it done, but people who have report that it hurts a LOT. A lot a lot a lot. Way. Ouch. Yikes. Jesus Flippin Christ, that hurt. It's a great deal of pain.

But it is over quickly and then they're fine.

I'm sorry you have to have it done.

I hope you get good news when the results come in. :hug:

I've heard it's painful I just wanted to know how painful.
Bone marrow aspiration is about as painful as it gets, from what I understand. But over quickly.

I always tell people the truth. I never say, "There will be mild discomfort." I always tell people if it will hurt and exactly how much. I do that because I'd want to know the truth. That way, you know. You can be prepared. You aren't surprised. And - though you probably won't - so that the person knows that when they have another question, they can believe me later when I say something won't hurt or will hurt more/less.

If I tell you it won't hurt, you can trust me. It won't. If I say it will only hurt a little, you know it will only be a little.

What you are going to have done is going to hurt a great deal. But it is over fast and when it is over, it is over. No pain - PAIN! - No pain. Bing, bang, boom.

You'll do great.

My godson had them done every other month for years from 2 years old and on for years and he used to say it was just a little sore. I guess it depends on what you compare it to- when they used to stick a needle into his skull he used to puke and said it hurt so I guess the bone marrow was not bad compared to that one. For the bone marrow if he had it done early in the morning he would be back in school in the afternoon- but they did used to knock the kids out for a few seconds while doing it, I am not sure he ever had it done while he was awake so he may have just felt the after effects and not the actual process.

I have had a few bone marrow biopsys done. When I had routine blood work they found that my platelet count was very low. I will tell you that it is not the greatest thing to have done, but it didnt really hurt. I felt pressure, but not really any pain. I was a little sore for a few days after, but nothing that I couldn't handle.

Hopes this info helps, Kim

I had one done several years ago and have also assisted in doing them as a nurse. The hematologist you see may do the biopsy himself or refer you to a pathologist to have it done. It is most often done from the back of your hip bone-that is the location mine was performed at.
1. The doctor will inject lidocaine just under the skin to numb it-if you have ever had lidocaine you will know what this feels like-burning and stinging.
2. doctor injects lidocaine probaby a couple of more times deeper each time-it burns deeper each time but you can't feel it initially-as they numb the skin all the way to the bone.
3. the doctor has a little metal thingie they screw into the bone. I thought this kinda hurt-and you do feel pressure as quite a bit of force must be used to actually get into the bone.
4. After they are into the bone they attach a syringe to the metal thingie-it is hollow-and aspirate (pull back) on the syringe and it pulls back the bone marrow. This part is supposed to be painful but it is the part I remember the least.

Now for the bad part-I think my experience was probably due to a doc with poor skills so ask before hand how experienced the person doing yours is- Immediately after mine was done my hip bone ached like crazy- I couldn't lift my leg to get my pants on or to get into the car. The rest of the afternoon it ached REALLY bad-but was better by the next day and I actually went to work for 12 hours on my feet. If you have any more questions I can try to answer them. In all honesty it sucked pretty bad but if I were going to have this done I would want someone to tell me the truth!

I had a low platelet count and the hemotologist wanted to be sure that I was producing platelets. The hemotology fellow performed the procedure. It is uncomfortable but not unbearable--childbirth is way worse. I did have pain when the weather changed at the spot where they took the sample for quite a while. Good luck to you in getting your platelets down.

My DD had a bone marrow biopsy when she was 13. They took it from her hip, under general anesthesia. She had a little soreness afterward. Two weeks later, they biopsied her spine, under general anesthesia. She was sore that day, but in excruciating pain the next day.

Hi, I would like to make a recommendation. I am a nurse, and my mother was diagnosed with leukemia almost a year and a half ago now, and has undergone many bmb's. I have been there for most of them. I have always INSISTED on conscious sedation for her. She had one bmb done that the doctor did not want to do the sedation (a nurse has to put in an iv to administer it, and it requires a half hour of monitoring after the procedure, and because it was close to the end of the day, he did not want to keep the office staff late), so he told her to take two darvocets an hour before the appointment. She said the pain was terrible with that one, and would never do that again! For her, ativan and demerol work best, but every physician has different offerings. They may just give morphine or a combination of drugs. If you have the sedation, you will need someone to drive home for you. Expect the area of the poke to be sore for about a day, but not unbearably so. The reason you will need the sedation, is that when the actual biopsy and aspiration is occuring, when they pull back on the syringe to remove the sample, it causes a shooting sensation down the leg.

Hope that gives you a better idea, and good luck with everything!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you all for being honest. I know that the procedure is painful I just wanted to know exactly what to expect. I'm not looking forward to it but I'm glad I'm a little better prepared. Maybe I can request to have them knock me out completely for the procedure.

I have assisted in one as a nurse... I heard that it is supposed to be very painful but the patient was awake and said that he didn't hurt at all...

Best wishes

:hug:

I've never had a bone marrow biopsy, but I've had a bone biopsy. I was out under general, and it was done on the very bottom of my femur. I have a small scar, but it's disappeared 1 and 1/2 years later. I do know that it hurt pretty bad afterwards, I was on Percocet and crutches.
From what I've heard about marrow, it hurts pretty bad. But those I know have also been under general, and this was after they came to.

I'll be praying for you!

I would recommend the sedation.
Even tho I had a BMB over 25 years ago...it was in my opinion
-more painful than childbirth.
I've never had anything hurt so bad!
They swabbed the skin to numb it ....
but it didn't help the real pain.
My hip was sore several days afterwards.
I hope things go well for you.

I had some blood work done and found out that I have thrombocytosis which is a high platelet count. I've been refered to a hematologist and was told they might need to take a bone marrow sample. For anyone who's had it done what exactly does it entail and how badly does the procedure hurt?

My son was diagnosed with leukemia and had to endure them regularly for
3 1/2 years (along with other things). They were painful. I agree with the person
who said it depends on who was doing the procedure... some are better at it
than others. The conscious sedation did not work for my son (he could still
feel everything), but it worked for most of the kids. Good Luck!! I know it is
scary when you don't know what to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter