• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever done EE with a young children?

wwlees

Earning My Ears
My DD4 is pretty tall. She is pretty adventurous 5and has liked fast carnival ride, but I know EE is in a whole different league.

Assuming she makes the height cut off, I was thinking of giving it a go. I also have a DD5.

Would love to hear opinions.

Wendy

ps: We are not doing Dinosaur, and hope to have ridden Barnstormer and Big Thunder Mountain on a previous day.

My now DD7 rode it about 6 times last year right after she turned 6, was her second favorite ride at Disney. It's a relatively smooth coaster, the thrilling part is being in the mountain in the dark in parts and also the section where you go backwards.

I showed my 6 year old son some vids from youtube. He TOTALLY wants to go. :teeth:

I took my 4 year old DS on it. He liked it, was a little scared, but not so much to not think it was fun. We rode it a 2nd time before leaving too. :thumbsup2

My daughter, who is 6, loves EE. It is her favorite and she rode for the first time at 5 as soon as she was tall enough!

Our son rode EE last October, he had turned 5 in June so he was a young 5. He LOVED EE! He likes big movement and had already ridden BTMRR and space mountain earlier that trip.

Have fun!

My DD went on when she was 5....I know I will get the bad mommy of the year award for this but...I wish I would've bought the picture after the ride was done. The look on her face was of sheer horror!!:scared1: I laughed so hard...she is not afraid of rides, she even had been on Dinosaur and TOT!! For some reason this one scared the pooh right out of her and the picture was priceless!! She didn't cry, she was more like I WILL NEVER GO ON THAT AGAIN!!!:lmao:She already has said she's going on it this year;)

young as in my pretty tall dd4 who loves to try anything disney:goodvibes

Please don't flame me for taking an opposite view...but I want to give you the other side of the picture, after all, only you know your child!

We took DS Feb 08. He REALLY wanted to ride and was a good 2 inches above the height requirement and is a thrill ride junkie! I was more worried about ME riding than I was HIM!

The first three seconds were great...then he slipped down under the bar. I spent the remainder of the ride trying to keep him from falling out the whole ride! After the ride was over, the CM checked the seat to make sure there wasn't a malfunction and were very nice to us...we finally determined that even though he met the height requirements, he was so small (light) that the bar did not hold him in tight enough.

I'm sure there was some extra training going on after we left about checking ALL things on a small child!

If your child is young, just make sure they are big enough for safety's sake. He has now forgotten all about the 'problem' and wants to ride again this September....Mom...not so much!

Nini

DS rode earlier this year (6yo) and was really scared. He rode BTMRR about four times in a row, but EE was too much for him. I'm sure he'll do it again down the road, but by the time it went backwards he was entirely freaked out. He got off saying "I don't want to do that one again!" I wish we had gotten the photo (I know, I know, another Bad Mommy award for me). :rotfl2:

My DD 6 and I just rode EE a few weeks ago. She had ridden BTMRR many times in the days before and said it was her favorite ride, so when we got to AK she decided to try EE. She hated it!! No crying or anything, but she stated very firmly that she did not like it at all and would not be doing it again! I think the backwards in the dark and the sounds of the yeti scared her. I know that she closed her eyes during the yeti scene, and I think that may have been more scary than leaving them open.

I would advise you that only you know your child. Mine does not like anything scary on TV and I should have known that she would not handle the storyline well. I don't think riding EE has effected her negatively, but she probably won't do it next time.

My DD5 loved everything about this ride except the part where they project the shadow of the yeti on the wall. For some reason, that really scared her. Once I explained how it worked, she was fine and has ridden it many times since.

DS rode earlier this year (6yo) and was really scared. He rode BTMRR about four times in a row, but EE was too much for him. I'm sure he'll do it again down the road, but by the time it went backwards he was entirely freaked out. He got off saying "I don't want to do that one again!" I wish we had gotten the photo (I know, I know, another Bad Mommy award for me). :rotfl2:

my DD made the height requirement when she was 4 and she loved BTMRR and Splash but there is no way on earth she would have liked EE: the backwards in the dark part puts this ride on a WHOLE different level. You have to know your own child.

I've been really surprised at my DD4. She didn't like BTMRR when we were on it in October but is already begging to ride it when we're there later this month. I don't know that she'd like EE.

Everything that was supposed to be scary that she rode (the Snow White Ride, Haunted Mansion, etc.), she absolutely LOVED. Yesterday, she watched footage of the Dinosaur ride, and she thinks she wants to ride it...even after seeing the big dinosaur eating the little dinosaur. I'm going to YouTube that one before we go and make her watch whatever I can find. (Although, we went on that one in 98 right after AK opened, and I remember the ride as boring. Has it changed much since then?)

Here's a video that some one filmed from the front seat of the ride, if that helps any. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ABgBTSMm8

I agree...it really probably depends on your child. I bet, if mine were big enough, she'd hate it while she was on it and love it as soon as she got off.

Please don't flame me for taking an opposite view...but I want to give you the other side of the picture, after all, only you know your child!

We took DS Feb 08. He REALLY wanted to ride and was a good 2 inches above the height requirement and is a thrill ride junkie! I was more worried about ME riding than I was HIM!

The first three seconds were great...then he slipped down under the bar. I spent the remainder of the ride trying to keep him from falling out the whole ride! After the ride was over, the CM checked the seat to make sure there wasn't a malfunction and were very nice to us...we finally determined that even though he met the height requirements, he was so small (light) that the bar did not hold him in tight enough.

I'm sure there was some extra training going on after we left about checking ALL things on a small child!

If your child is young, just make sure they are big enough for safety's sake. He has now forgotten all about the 'problem' and wants to ride again this September....Mom...not so much!

Nini

WOW! Totally not flaming you but...my DD was 5 when she rode it in 2007 and *just* made the height requirement. She weighed 39lbs at the time and somehow she did just fine. Didn't move a bit. I'm wondering if it was the particular 'car' that you rode in.

Now, to get back on topic....my DD is very excited to ride this again and she loved it the first time - actually rode it twice thanks to the child swap! But just as others have said, you need to know your own child.

Nini

Thanks for the warning. My 5.5 year old is very petite (weight, not height) and last year she flew up out of the seat in ToT and it startled her and I held her down. I will keep a close eye out on EE if we ride this year.

My son rode it when he was almost 5 and loved every minute. He will ride anything, though.

Nini

Oh wow! That is scary! My kids are very tall and VERY skinny and I've always wondered if they take the skinniness into account when they determine safety standards. I would have been flipping out if that happened!

Anyway, my oldest is pretty daring and willing to try any ride offered to her, but her first time on EE was not a good experience. She was 6, and plenty tall enough for it. It was my first time on it also. After riding EE, she complained of a headache for about 3 hours. She had never had a headache before in her life, so this was kind of scary for me. She did go back on when she was 8 and was fine though. I already told my other kids that they will be waiting until they are 8 to try EE though. EE also messed with my equilibrium majorly! I was dizzy and felt "off" for hours after riding it. I would have sworn that it went upside down even though it didn't. I've never felt so wierd after riding a coaster before. Personally, I think the height requirement for EE should be higher than it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter