• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever Decided to Stick with Your Home Resort After Trying Out the Others?

littlestar

DIS Veteran
Well, we've tried out all the present WDW DVCs and we decided we bought at the right location for us. Our main points are at VWL and 60 at BCV (the location of our two most favorite hotels at Disney by the way).

We had been on a wait-list for some BWV points, but after staying there, we decided it didn't have the right feel for us. Too much convention traffic (husband travels on business a lot and the last thing we want to see on vacation are suits!) Also, the laundry room was a mess there (was really surprised that it stayed that way for two days - water on the floor and all). I don't think the Boardwalk maintenance is up to snuff with the rest of the DVC properties (we noticed a difference when comparing the other three). The location was nice, though, close to MGM and Epcot. But so glad we stayed there or we would have never known it wouldn't suit us.

Our favorite DVC resorts at WDW are (in order of preference):

VWL
BCV
OKW (which looks great even though it's the oldest!)
BWV

Knowing what I know now from staying at each WDW DVC, I would definitely not buy until I had stayed there to try it out.

Great advice. We haven't tried WLV yet, but hope to try it out with the Bike and Boat plan in the future. We like the beach along the waterfront of Crecent Lake better than the Boardwalk, so BCV wins out over BWV for us. It's great to have choices and the flixibility to stay in different resorts. Glad your purchase worked out the best for you, and you don't suffer from "DVC Resort Envy" as we sometimes see on these boards when the resort bashing gears up. Each has it's advantages, there are lots of things to like about BWV, especially the standard points, GVs and community hall.

We own at BCVs, and I think we will really like it (will visit next month for the first time). But DH and I both think we would LOVE VWL too. So I 'hope' that we will be able to get reservations there at the 7 month window from time to time.

DJ

Yes, in fact, I've decided that I really love our home resort after trying out all the others. We own at VWL and I just love the serenity of that resort, yet it's just a boat ride across to the Kingdom. Also we are so close to so many great services and restaurants. I really enjoy the GF spa and the restaurants as well as the Kona Cafe and the California Grille. I also love being able to walk to the campground for a totally different feel of WDW. That is what is so great about DVC. The ability to try new things. We really love the choices.

We own at OKW - since practically day one!

Have tried all the other DVC's, including HH and VB.

At WDW, OKW is the Best for us - the spaciousness and the scenery - doesn't feel crowded like being in a big hotel. And after our latest stays at VWL and BCV, there's no bathroom door absurdities at OKW!

Also, have to love being able to park right outside your front door !

It's a vacation just being in WDW - it's a vacation within a vacation when staying at OKW!

We bought at BWV sight unseen.I have stayed at OKW(LOVE it), BCV(extremely unimpressed) and BW(Our favorite) out of the WDW DVC resorts.
We love the BW for it's location and the general feel of the resort. I do love OKW as well, but it's been my experience that it is very easy to book there, so I'm glad I have my points at my favorite resort(BWV), which can be hard to get into(esp standard view, which is what we get) with the option of booking OKW if we want to stay there.
I would say we definately have the right home resort for us.

Why were you unimpressed with BCV?

Although we totally LOVED the location of BWV we felt that the room was totally worn and the housekeepers did not do that good of a job. Disappointing. I hope this changes and things get up to snuff as we would like to try BWV again and hope this was just a bad first experience.

It's odd. We stayed at BCV the month it opened, and we were unimpressed, also. We were really surprised, since we have been staying at the Yacht and Beach Clubs since they opened and just love the hotel.

But the BCV rooms seemed underthemed to us, and small. Nothing really special. I will say the friends we were traveling with were just blown away. They normally stay at the All-Star resorts. And Stormalong Bay is quite a bonus.

We own at Old Key West, and stay there most often. We love the space and the low points. It's so relaxing. Just got back for VWL last month and really enjoyed the setting and the theming. BWV has a great grand hotel feeling, and awesome location and views. We like the Vero Beach inn rooms with the great view of the ocean.

I'll be interested to see how Saratoga Springs is....

I think this thread speaks well to the adage that you should "buy where you plan to stay." Loyalty comes with familiarity...we love best what we know best.

For me, OKW is always HOME.

We own at BWV and in fact, the only reason we bought into DVC at all is because we had a great AP rate at BWI and just fell in love with the area. At first I was very disappointed that I couldn't get an AP rate at YC or BC (my first two choices) but after being in the middle of the action at BWI it turned out to be lucky that we had gotten "stuck" there.

We were "forced" to stay at OKW once when nothing else was available and were pretty disappointed in the studio. It sounded like we were staying next to test track as the busses went by all night long. The great view that every unit supposedly has at OKW was not ours (we were on the end of the building and covered with trees, though we did have a golfer rummaging around right outside our window a couple of times!) and it was annoying to have to hunt for parking every night when we came back late. You may be able to park right outside your door if you come back in the early evening but we had to park a fair distance from our room when we came back at 2am... and nothing like coming back that first night and finding out that your bed had been shortsheeted by housekeeping! We did give OKW another try in a 1br but were missing things like stores open til midnight and room service. I guess it's just not for us.

We did eagerly try out VWL when it first opened and that caused us to add on 50 points there. We really loved it and love the theming but I think BWV is the one that feels like "home" (when we are at VWL we feel like we are just visiting).

We also eagerly tried out BCV when it first opened, but were also unimpressed. The location for us did not feel as great as the boardwalk. Yes, you are closer to Epcot (but not that much closer) but you are really far from MGM and the boat dock (was that boat dock built for YC first and then BC was added on after?) Nothing is worse than being able to see the dock and see your boat pull in but you are too far away to get there to catch it! The rooms are beautiful, though, but the view was less then spectacular (overlooking the parking lot at the end of the building). SAB was okay, but the sand bottom didn't thrill me the way it thrills others and I could easily live without it. In fact, I prefer the theming at the VWL pool even though it doesn't have a sand bottom and I REALLY enjoy the quiet pool over there.

I think it's a chicken/egg thing. It's hard to tell if I get cranky at other resorts because things aren't as I like them to be on vacation (you should've heard me cursing when I wanted some warm milk one night only to find out that OKW's store closes an hour before BWV, and that I couldn't even get room service to deliver some!) or if I want things a certain way because that's the way I got used to having them on my first trip. In either case, I definately agree that you should buy where you plan to stay!

Lisa

We own at OKW and love the feel of the place: the serenity, the beautiful Key West palm trees and flowers, plus the delightful, spacious units, especially those with decks facing the waterways. We have also stayed at the BWV twice, the BCV once, and the Wilderness Lodge during its opening week (before the villas were built there). For us, OKW is truly home. We plan on staying at the WLV next year and may change our opinion at that time because we "loved" our WL vacation.

We bought first at VB because of MB, then bought more points at BCV. I would like to stay at them all before deciding on purchasing points at another resort.

We've stayed at VB, BWV and VWL. Plan to stay at all of them and will probably rotate depending on whether it's a "park vacation" or "golf vacation" and whether it's just DH and me or if we bring along family. I don't think I will stay at one resort more often than another. I like the variety. As long as we are able to get ressies at the other resorts within the 7-month window.

DVC owners sure can be ruthless;)
We were "forced" to stay at OKW once when nothing else was available and were pretty disappointed in the studio.
We have the same feelings about BW We have not loved our stays there nor the size of the rooms. (Location of room and noise played a big part also) and would rather remain at OKW and VB which is according to some boardmembers, "a big failure"

That's why "forced" was in quotes. OKW is not my favorite but it sure beats all stars and moderates by a long stretch. Given the choice I would probably choose a deluxe hotel anywhere else rather than an OKW studio but the price is so much higher, it's not really a choice. I also don't think that all OKW housekeeping sucks because we had one bad housekeeper. I'm sure that was just a fluke. But our first experience there was so poor, I think it influenced my attitude about it after that.

We got a BW view once and also thought it was loud. The standard view is nice and quiet, with water and ducks and greenery (plus fewer points!)

Lisa

We loved BWV the pool mostly and really didn't care for WLV and OKW is our next place mind you I like all the noise and activity so I am sure OKW is going to be way to quiet for me.

Love OKW--and DVCGrace has summed it up nicely.
In all of our stays there since 1992, never ever had a problem parking exactly in front--or nearly in front-of our "home".

When first considering buying into DVC, our family stayed at OKW in a studio. DH wasn't all that thrilled. At that time they were selling VWL. After the tour, DH said that we could buy ONLY IF we bought at VWL. He especially liked the woodsy feel of the place. Since I was the one who really wanted to buy into DVC, I was thrilled that he had agreed to any resort.

Since that time, we have stayed at the INN at VB. Loved it!! When the BCV opened, we bought more points to have closer access to Epcot. We will stay there for the first time this July.

I personally like the feel and polished wood "smell" of the 5th floor villas at VWL but can't wait to try those BCV!!!!!

We love OKW. I do not generally like the hotel type DVC resorts. We have not stayed at BCV, but after touring them last month, we decided we wouldn't even try them. We were NOT impressed either. I like the location of BCV and BWV since they are close to Epcot, but not sure the location is the most important part of the trip! I much prefer the setting at OKW and VWL.

We bought at BWV and are glad we did!
We've stayed at OKW and while very nice, it was just too difficult to get around (no car).
We're staying at BCV for a week this summer followed by a week at BWV. For us, it's all about location!

We own at BWV, OKW and BCV, but we call BWV home. For us the location, the first class hotel amenities, the community hall,the themed pool and the many food choices, along with Jellyrolls makes BWV our favorite home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter