Ever Been Kind of Insulted By a Christmas Gift?

I’ll never understand this level of petty. She asked and was like “eh McDonald’s it is!” And she went out of her way because at our McDonald’s gift cards can only be paid for in cash.

I told this story to a coworker once. She guessed that my aunt forgot us and it was a last minute scramble to get something.

Sadly, I have many more stories like this. I can't tell you how many times my aunt asked me what I wanted for Christmas only to get mad at me when it wasn't what she thought I was supposed to want.

My grandmother really did not like me at all and made it quite clear. As an overweight 12 year old, she gave me a pair of pajamas that were 2 sizes too small. When I said they wouldn't fit, her response was that if I wasn't so fat then this wouldn't be a problem.

My mom tried to get a receipt to exchange them only to discover that my grandmother got the pajamas from a secondhand store.

My grandmother really did not like me at all and made it quite clear. As an overweight 12 year old, she gave me a pair of pajamas that were 2 sizes too small. When I said they wouldn't fit, her response was that if I wasn't so fat then this wouldn't be a problem.

My mom tried to get a receipt to exchange them only to discover that my grandmother got the pajamas from a secondhand store.

Yikes! I think you win the prize for the most insulting gift ever!

I’m sorry you had to experience this as a 12-year-old!

Years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a bunch of blank greeting cards for Christmas. They were birthday, thank you, get well soon, thinking of you, etc. cards. When I opened it, she said, "I noticed you don't seem to have time to buy cards, so I made it easy for you." We lived in the same city and we saw her every few weeks. It didn't occur to me to send her random greeting cards. She said her other daughter-in-law sent cards often. They lived in another state so it made more sense. Also, I'm just not a huge card person. It's not my thing. Plus the cards she gave me weren't the kind I would choose to send. They were more her style. After Christmas she frequently asked if I was using the cards, because she hadn't received one yet. Ugh.

sorry but I couldn’t help LOL. This is a whole other level of petty. Wow.

I find gifts that have no thought to be insulting. I would rather not get a gift than to just get something because you felt obligated. Those gifts are usually crappy IME.

My XHs aunt had a huge walk in closet full of stuff. For example the free toothbrush and toothpaste samples from the dentist, any “free coupon” gifts she would get (free VS panties for example), things she randomly found on clearance, any sample products she received, etc. When birthdays or Xmas came around you’d get what I called a box full o crap. One year my 5 year old got 20 toothbrushes and sample toothpastes. One year I got a pair of VS panties 2 sizes too big.

:flower3: Honestly? I think if she knows you well she found a cleaning product she's impressed with and thought maybe you didn't know about it and wanted to introduce you to something you'd get use out of. One year, shortly after they came on the market, I gave my DSis one of those Intuition razors (the kind with the shaving soap built into the blade). Was I criticizing her hygiene? No - I know she shaves in the shower and this thing was literally a game changer.
I never thought of that, but she is a real super clean person. You can eat off her garage floors! I will try to look at it from that perspective.

I never thought of that, but she is a real super clean person. You can eat off her garage floors! I will try to look at it from that perspective.
:flower3: I really think you should. As you mentioned, it wasn't a Christmas gift, or any occasion really - she just brought you something, right? And if you don't mind me asking - did you try them? They really are the bomb for certain applications. :hug:

:flower3: I really think you should. As you mentioned, it wasn't a Christmas gift, or any occasion really - she just brought you something, right? And if you don't mind me asking - did you try them? They really are the bomb for certain applications. :hug:
Yea, I did try them and they work great. I still think when bringing a gift, it should be something the person likes or would prefer. I would never ever bring her something to clean with. I would be worried that she would think I thought she needed it. When we visited last, I made a table runner in her colors and placemats. She uses black, red, and white everywhere. That's what I think is a nice gift; something for the house. Or we will bring some special chocolates or something like that. She didn't give the cleaners to my husband; he got really nice thoughtful gifts. I didn't even find out about that until after she left, so she didn't want me to know what she got him. But I will try. Not everyone thinks the same,so there's that.

I wasn't upset by getting a gift, I got upset because of the reaction I got to one that was given. A couple years after my divorce I started dating a lady that was a friend of my sister. We had only been going out for a couple of months and during that time we had a lot of discussions about WDW. She knew that I went every February and since she had never been there she thought it would be fun to go. So for Christmas I gave her a 4 day pass to WDW and was planning on making plane reservations the first week in January. She stayed behind after the Christmas dinner that I made to help me clean up. Then she asked me to hold onto the ticket because she would surely lose it. When I told her that I would do that she then spoke up and expressed her serious disappointment in her gift. She was expecting some expensive jewelry. She didn't specify if it was an engagement ring but, was very upset. Since we had only been going out for a few weeks and not only did she not mention or even hint, besides never wearing jewelry since I had known her, I was a little surprised.

Then she said that she couldn't go because she was afraid to fly. I said OK, let's make it a road trip then. She seemed excited about that and we started making plans to do that. Two days before we were scheduled to leave she called me and said that she couldn't find anyone to take care of her dog while we were gone. She hadn't even bothered to ask my sister who told me she would have been happy to take care of the dog. Anyway, I just said to her, OK, I'll let you know what it was like when I return. I don't think I have to tell you what happened after that. Yea, I dodged that bullet and had an extra 4 day ticket that I used the next year. Moral of the story... Both men and women, if you really want something special don't keep it a secret and expect someone will just magically guess what it is. Speak up. Regular jewelry would have been a lot cheaper then a 4 day WDW, Park Hopper, airfare and meals. And at that point an engagement ring was not even a passing thought.

Last edited:
I wasn’t offended by it, but one year my stepmom’s parents came to visit and brought us all presents. DH got a pen and I got a pad of paper. My brother got a bar of Dove soap. It was apparent they didn’t remember we would be there and found stuff in the motorhome to give us. It made us laugh, but we moved on.

A year or so later, my brother was traveling for work and went to open the box of soap only to find $10 worth of quarters in it. It appears they accidentally gave him their laundromat money. He made out on that one, but he really needed soap at the time 🤣

omg! That's awful. My own grandmother wasn't exactly fond of me either, but didn't do that.. what she did do was send my sister (4 years younger) birthday cards/gifts, but not me. That whole side of the family had issues though. One week they were all against one particular person, the next week they were bffs. It was weird and sad.

Four years ago I was very impatiently waiting for the then BF to give me an apology ring he had purchased in November. It is a gorgeous ring that I had personally picked out (a whole other story). I thought for sure he would give it to me for Christmas. He was leaving the country for the holiday and left a large gift bag with gifts for everyone (Me and the kids). I waited till Christmas morning To open my gift. I got an electric skillet.

I did finally get the ring. In Feburary. ,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter