Ever been assigned a room and somebody already in it?

We had someone walk in on us, at a NC hotel. It was just me and DD, and it was kind frightning. The "intruders" left right away, it was not their fault of course.

Oh yes we were given a room and walked in on a couple "having fun". Got swore at by the couple, completely understandible. Got comped our room just as we finished getting a new room assigned the guy was down screaming at the people at check in.

That's why, when I'm in the room, I always put the chain or the deadbolt or whatever they have as additional security in case this happens and I'm in the room. Also, just in case housekeeping comes and we're still in the room and I've forgotten to put out the do not disturb.

Same here, although I do it more to insure that housekeeping doesn't come in, even though I'm pretty good about remembering to put up the do not disturb sign.

This is why when we are in the room I always flip the latch thingy closed. Thankfully this has never happened to us.

The only inconvenient thing that happened to us is our arrival day, we never got the room ready text, I didn't know, and apparently neither did CM they don't text to out of country cell phones. When we finally went back to resort to see if room was ready, it was, so we went up. Walked into a made up but dirty room. Hair ties on floor, empty water bottles, papers, etc on tables and dresser.

We were so tired and my knee was killing me. All I wanted was to lie down. Knee hurt to much to drag back to lobby so I used room phone and told them the problem and asked to be connected to POR. When you use room phone it goes to a call centre. Within 5 min I got a call back from POR. They said they'd send someone to clean. I said I didn't want to wait an hour and can I get another room. Another maybe 5 min & she called me back with new room #, and when we went to new room we had been upgraded to River View.

About 20 min later we received a visit from resort manager who went to other room. Apparently housekeeper didn't understand room was supposed to be cleaned for new occupant, and just cleaned for a returning guest. Yuck. So sheets & towels wouldn't have been changed or a thorough clean. He apologized profusely and told me to call on him anytime if there was any other problems. I appreciated the personal visit.

This was mid January.

We checked in to CBR at 11am and they told us the room was ready. But, we didn't swing by, we went right to Epcot. We got back around 7pm (with a 3 y old and 9m old) and found that the room had not been cleaned from previous guest. Dirty towels all over the floor, piles of trash, unmade beds, etc. It took nearly an hour to get someone out there. I was trying to get them to put us in another room we could walk to (since we already had all our stuff out of the car) but they said they had no others (this was mid Jan and parking lot was completely empty). Finally a manager got out there as we were changing the 9m old on a pad on the cement walk way, and cleaning crew arrived soon after. We got a free night.

I wouldn't believe they didn't have an empty room either mid January. It's not usually a time that has 100% occupancy. Should have asked for a manager right then! It's especially bad since you had 2 young ones.

Never at WDW, but it did happen to me and my parents in New Orleans. The guy was in the bathroom!!!!!

Middle of the night, I hear someone at our door, as if trying to use the key... The door opened, the person looked in, and closed the door. Scared the crap out of us. It was non Disney. We got comped the night. We called down to the manager who apologized profusely, but did not explain the midnight visitor. I did not sleep the rest of the night. We usually use the deadbolt or chain...but not that night obviously...not making that mistake again!

Sadly yes 3 times at AKL Club level. First room they open for us was a couple on their Honeymoon. And yes they were in the bed ;) The second time same resort a man walking out of the bathroom with no clothes on :( The last one was at the GF Club level and another Honeymoon couple.

Happened to me once at a Marriott in Denver. Was on a multi city work trip. One suitcase of materials broke, so I was carrying brochures etc. in a hige box. Walked into room carrying said box and noticed men's clothes about. Knew right away room wasn't free and turned to walk out. At this moment room's occupant walks in. Would have loved to have seen my reaction standing there with a huge box in arms in some guys room! I quickly explained I was a convention exhibitor and they messed up. He was cool.

Not sure how i'd react catching some one in my room walking out with a box!! Did look shaddy

Happened to my friend at All Star Sports, we were both new CM's starting Disney Cruise Line training, she was arriving later and was supposed to be sharing my room, but they sent her to another room by accident that had guests in it.

I once had it happen three times on the same trip at a resort in Mexico. We were assigned a room that someone else was already occupying and then two more times (that I know of) people walked in on us in our room. They just couldn't get it right. The bad thing was the room was so far at this huge resort from the front desk that each time we'd have to walk a huge trek back to the front desk. Ruined our vacation.

Stayed at Coronado Springs a couple of weeks ago. Did online check-in with room request in Ranchos but at check-in was assigned Cabanas. Got check-in cast member to change to Ranchos after she called room assignment desk or whatever it is. So when we get to the room the magic band opens the door and we walk in. My first thought was the maids had not yet cleaned then realized someone was already using the room.

So question is anybody else had that experience? My trying to get a room from that point is a whole another story.

Sure did. Also at Coronado Springs at Christmas. Checked in at the desk, headed toward the room, and we could see it was obviously being used (shopping bags up against the windows, cups on the table, curtains open with the lights on). We headed back to the desk and they were completely shocked that the room was already occupied. They were going to send someone to look into it while they reassigned us. Caused us to be later getting to the park than we planned, so we missed our first FP that night.

Happened to us at Pop Century when we did online check in and went to the front desk to do that (before the "all on your wrist" stuff). We arrived around 11 AM and was told our room was ready so we drove around and went to the room but didn't enter because the shades were open and there were suitcases on the bed. No people but we just went back to the desk and explained and the Cast Member was shocked and said, "that room has been cleared!" We were given another room and apologies.

It was quite possible that the family had been packing up earlier, went to breakfast (using a last meal on the dining plan) and got caught up with a late breakfast.

No, but we did have someone else's luggage delivered to our room via ME (I'm assuming it was via ME since they were tagged), so I'm curious if that family walked into our room while we were at the park.

YIKES! Has never happened to me. But after reading this thread I know I will always use the chain or latch when in my room now!!! :eek:

Yes it happened to us at BC. We had booked just a regular standard room and received our key/room at check-in. Walked a mile to get to our room, opened the door and found a family in the room! We were mortified and so were they. So we walked that mile again back down to the front desk and politely spoke with a very kind CM who immediately got on the phone with the manager and we were upgraded to Club Level, our very first Club Level stay, and we have subsequently booked CL every trip since then!

Happened once to me years ago on a business trip - it was clear as soon as I opened the room that it was occupied (no one was there).

That's why, when I'm in the room, I always put the chain or the deadbolt or whatever they have as additional security in case this happens and I'm in the room. Also, just in case housekeeping comes and we're still in the room and I've forgotten to put out the do not disturb.

My sister used to work the front desk at different hotels and she said that it does happen occasionally, especially with express check-outs where you don't have to go to the front desk to return your key and check out. Sometimes people stay longer in the room than check-out time or they do decide to stay longer and don't think to tell the front desk. And sometimes, there are just errors in the system that happen.

Agree-I ALWAYS engage the deadbolt and the "safety latch"-thought everybody did.:)

It happened to us too on our stay at Boardwalk Inn. When we arrived no one was there to take us to CL. We weren't sure where the elevators were so I asked a CM at the check-in desk where they were. He said he could check us in right there. Well I didn't want to seem rude by refusing to check in with him so we did. He said our room was ready so we went up. When we got to the CL desk the CM wasn't very happy that we had done check in downstairs. I told him our room number and showed him our room key cards. He also said our room was ready so off we went. Well needless to say the room was occupied so we had to go back out and deal with a now very unhappy CM. He finally assigned us a room which was right next door to the lounge. He was the most unfriendly CM that I have encountered. After that we tried BC CL and that is now our favorite resort.

Yes, once at Wilderness lodge. I don't think we opened the door, I think it was already standing open and it was obvious that the room was not vacant.

Even if nobody was in the room, I would have had to go back to the front desk. The room was on the ground floor facing the Wilderness Lodge DVC building and we had paid for a courtyard view. I could be wrong, but that isn't my idea of a courtyard view.

I agree with others, if we are in the room, the deadbolt and the security latch are on the door.

Stayed at Coronado Springs a couple of weeks ago. Did online check-in with room request in Ranchos but at check-in was assigned Cabanas. Got check-in cast member to change to Ranchos after she called room assignment desk or whatever it is. So when we get to the room the magic band opens the door and we walk in. My first thought was the maids had not yet cleaned then realized someone was already using the room.

So question is anybody else had that experience? My trying to get a room from that point is a whole another story.

Have had it happen to us in reverse at least two times long before online check-in was implemented! first time was at GFloridian concierge level on our 25th anniversay trip! :eek: Was in our room and bell person walked some other couple right into our room! thank goodness we were dressed! :o the second time was at BCV, we were checked in and bell services brought a whole family not once, but twice! into our villa unannounced! :(THEY at least got compensated for the inconvience (overheard the offer as they were leaving) but not US (since it was embarrassing for us as well, would have been nice gesture!):charac2: PS Yes, we too NOW ALWAYS deadbolt/"latchy" thing the door (usually did after first time, but the BCV "event ",we were still getting settled in , fetching ice and such so hadn't bothered with it ..yet lol !

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter