EVC Solo and Hotel Door.

maux

Mouseketeer
I tried to search the board to see if this has been answered before but couldn’t find an answer. I will be renting an EVC and staying at All Star Music. I will be traveling solo and am wondering what is the best way to hold the room door open so I can drive in and out. I do not want to leave outside overnight. I was reviewing door stoppers and a lot of them say they don’t work on wooden floors. Does anyone have any experience/advice? Thanks!

maux

Put the door stopper in the space between the door and the frame, that's what I've heard people do. Then when you are part of the way in, take it out and your ECV will (obviously) keep the door open.

I tried to search the board to see if this has been answered before but couldn’t find an answer. I will be renting an EVC and staying at All Star Music. I will be traveling solo and am wondering what is the best way to hold the room door open so I can drive in and out. I do not want to leave outside overnight. I was reviewing door stoppers and a lot of them say they don’t work on wooden floors. Does anyone have any experience/advice? Thanks!

maux
We were in a handicap accessible room at the BC and there was a special device that would hold the resort door open for about a minute. It gave you enough time to get in and out of the room easily. You might want to book a handicap accessible room so you have have this feature. :)

You even sure the scooter will get in the room? We stayed at Pop with a single stroller when the beds were still double and had to fold it to get in the door and past the bed. I can’t see how it would have been possible to get a scooter in. I think the All Star rooms are even smaller. For sure are not bigger.

Most leave them outside at night. They are safe if that’s what has you worried

You even sure the scooter will get in the room? We stayed at Pop with a single stroller when the beds were still double and had to fold it to get in the door and past the bed. I can’t see how it would have been possible to get a scooter in. I think the All Star rooms are even smaller. For sure are not bigger.

Most leave them outside at night. They are safe if that’s what has you worried

No, do not leave scooters outside the room unattended. Not only is it NOT safe (minimally, someone could come along and unplug it while it is charging, leaving the rider without sufficient power to last the next day) but everyone knows how to release the brake, and it can easily be pushed away.

More importantly, it's against Disney Policy.

From this page on Disney's website:

Also, we have members here who have stored *2* scooters in a room at POP with no issues.

No, do not leave scooters outside the room unattended. Not only is it NOT safe (minimally, someone could come along and unplug it while it is charging, leaving the rider without sufficient power to last the next day) but everyone knows how to release the brake, and it can easily be pushed away.

More importantly, it's against Disney Policy.

From this page on Disney's website:
View attachment 651261

Also, we have members here who have stored *2* scooters in a room at POP with no issues.
Hah. Well good luck with that. 99% off scooters are stored and charged in halls. They rarely fit in rooms. I used one following knee replacement in December and the only room it for in was 14th floor at CR. There are scooters charging in halls on every floor of every Disney hotel. There is no run of scooter theft. Wow.

more power to you if you can even get yours in the door at an all star. Have fun.

need visual evidence of 2 scooters in the room at pop. Don’t care what people claim. As I said, we couldn’t get our stroller in with the door open. Heck, the door didn’t open fully. It hit the bed

maux

I like the Wedge-it.

The easiest thing to do is once you are ready to go in or out, grab your doorstop, and open the door fully, and deploy the doorstop. Disney Resort doors - even at Values - are heavy, and want to close, so you need a robust door stop. Hence, the Wedge-it.

Then you can move the ECV through the doorway with no issue. Once the ECV is on the other side of the door, remove the door stop, and make sure the door fully closes.

Hah. Well good luck with that. 99% off scooters are stored and charged in halls. They rarely fit in rooms. I used one following knee replacement in December and the only room it for in was 14th floor at CR. There are scooters charging in halls on every floor of every Disney hotel

more power to you off you can even get yours in the door at an all star. Have fun

First of all, I would never recommend that someone do something that is blatantly against Disney's posted rules. It has the potential to impact that person's vacation.

And for what it's worth, I don't believe it's 99%, based solely on the number of ECV rentals I see in the Parks vs. the number I see parked in Resort hotel hallways.

And yes, I personally have quite successfully gotten an ECV both into and out of a room at a Value Resort.

First of all, I would never recommend that someone do something that is blatantly against Disney's posted rules. It has the potential to impact that person's vacation.

And for what it's worth, I don't believe it's 99%, based solely on the number of ECV rentals I see in the Parks vs. the number I see parked in Resort hotel hallways.

And yes, I personally have quite successfully gotten an ECV both into and out of a room at a Value Resort.
You got some magical scooter skills

And you seriously think most scorers are parked inside rooms? Wow. Ok

I like the Wedge-it.

The easiest thing to do is once you are ready to go in or out, grab your doorstop, and open the door fully, and deploy the doorstop. Disney Resort doors - even at Values - are heavy, and want to close, so you need a robust door stop. Hence, the Wedge-it.

Then you can move the ECV through the doorway with no issue. Once the ECV is on the other side of the door, remove the door stop, and make sure the door fully closes.
I use the wedge it too! Easy to use and very effective

Hah. Well good luck with that. 99% off scooters are stored and charged in halls. They rarely fit in rooms. I used one following knee replacement in December and the only room it for in was 14th floor at CR. There are scooters charging in halls on every floor of every Disney hotel. There is no run of scooter theft. Wow.

more power to you if you can even get yours in the door at an all star. Have fun.

need visual evidence of 2 scooters in the room at pop. Don’t care what people claim. As I said, we couldn’t get our stroller in with the door open. Heck, the door didn’t open fully. It hit the bed
years ago but we came back to our room late one night to see a group of teens pushing ECVs up and down the hall. did not see for sure I bet they did not plug them back in and I am pretty sure they were not with the ECVs they were using

Keep in mind some scooter companies rent scooters where one key which will work in all their rental units. Master keys which work any Pride scooter are widely available. Putting the scooter in neutral and pushing it is very easy. Can another guest in an ECV easily pass your parked scooter? Can a housekeeping cart easily pass. Frequently;y the answers no. Please don't complain if your scooter is moved or if your charging cable in unplugged.

Your theft waiver will generally not cover scooters which are parked where not allowed.

We were at Boulder Ridge over Christmas and witnessed a guest in an electric wheelchair struggle to get past an ECV that was blocking the hall. Additionally, it's a major danger in an emergency. If the fire alarms go off at night, ECVs become an obstacle in the dark.

I've never not seen scooters in the halls, even in places where they obviously would fit in the room, like Kidani and VGF.

They're always been rentals though, haven't seen anyone's fancy stuff in the hall.

Exception would be Riviera. I don't think they would fit in the hall of Riviera?

We were in a handicap accessible room at the BC and there was a special device that would hold the resort door open for about a minute. It gave you enough time to get in and out of the room easily. You might want to book a handicap accessible room so you have have this feature. :)

There is a fairly inexpensive device that will hold the room door open…several brands actually. Reserving one of the extremely few rooms with a push button door opener when only a door chuck is needed can prevent another disabled guest from visiting WDW. Door chucks can’t easily be used by someone non-ambulatory so those guests don’t have an alternative.

You got some magical scooter skills

And you seriously think most scorers are parked inside rooms? Wow. Ok

We always park the scooter for my Mom in the room. It often gets moved around the room several times to find the most out of the way spot to park and charge it overnight. We would never dream of parking it in the hall. We are responsible for it, so it stays with us in the room. We have had them in studios at AKV, Poly, Boardwalk, BLT (which have ridiculously small studios), Beach Club, Boulder Ridge, and I am sure I am missing 1-2 more.

Coincidently, I just booked a HA studio at BCV next January for a solo trip. Sure hope I get a studio that has that!

On previous solo trips, I've never gotten a door stop to work-guess I don't put it right. I think I got the hang of it, after a few years, without a door stopper. I haven't tried the wedge-it, though. If going in forward, I use my cane to hold the door open, and go as slowly as possible. If I want to go out forward, I have to back in so I open the door, then I can hold it open with one hand while I back in (again, as slowly as possible). The only problem is that at some point, I'm in too far to hold the door, so I have to get off the ECV and grab the door, so it doesn't SLAM shut-not easy, especially if you're as fast as nimble as I'm not.

Coincidently, I just booked a HA studio at BCV next January for a solo trip. Sure hope I get a studio that has that!

On previous solo trips, I've never gotten a door stop to work-guess I don't put it right. I think I got the hang of it, after a few years, without a door stopper. I haven't tried the wedge-it, though. If going in forward, I use my cane to hold the door open, and go as slowly as possible. If I want to go out forward, I have to back in so I open the door, then I can hold it open with one hand while I back in (again, as slowly as possible). The only problem is that at some point, I'm in too far to hold the door, so I have to get off the ECV and grab the door, so it doesn't SLAM shut-not easy, especially if you're as fast as nimble as I'm not.

Try the Wedge-it - once I watched their video a couple of times, I have had no problems with *any* door I encounter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter