evaluating a flash

glass slipper girl

because the right shoe can change your life!
I am looking at buying a flash for my DSLR. Just wondering if the pros among us here can offer any guidance as to what to look for in a good one.

I just bought a KM 7D I was researching the Rebel XT, Nikon D50 and KM 5d and after going and holding the cameras in my hands I ruled out the Rebel XT b/c it was just a bit too small. I'm 5'10" so I don't have small hands and it just didn't feel comfortable in my hands. So I used the cards I had brought from home and shot 20 or so pics with the D50 and the 5D and came back home to look at them and do a bit more research (I'd been leaning towards the Rebel XT). I made a couple of calls to ask some questions and fell into a great deal on a 7D kit. Not what I started looking at buy I'm happy with it! I will primarily be using this for family photos and vacations. Nothing professional or anything like that...just wanting really good shots of the stuff I will be shooting. :) So I don't want to spend a ton on a flash, but I don't mind spending more to get something that will be more effective and get more consistently good results. What should I be looking at to evaluate these flashes?

Thanks!

So what you want to look for is guide number (how powerful it is) and also the ability to bounce the flast (rotating/tilting flash head).
There are 2 flashes that I can recommend for you:
1) Konica-Minolta 2500D: ~$115
It has a guide # of 82, which is not bad, and can tilt the head up to 90 degrees. It is NOT a zoom head, though. A zoom flash head actually takes into account where your lens is zoomed and adjusts the flash angle to give you better lighting. At far zoom, it projects light further, and at wide angles, it spreads the light out more to cover more range.

2) Konica-Minolta 3600HS-D: ~$160
This flash has a guide number of 118, so it's much more powerful. It has a tilt and zoom head. This is the one I'd get. For only about $50 more, it's really worth it.

I would definitely recommend the Konica-Minolta 3600HS-D: ~$160
in addition to features already mentioned it also allows wireless remote flash with your camera...

personally I would get the Konica-Minolta 5600HS-D,{ guide # 184 } but that's a bit more expensive...
I just always go with the theory that if I'm buying MInolta's top of the line camera I want the top of the line flash to go with it, that way I know that if I need the extra power I have it...rather than needing it and wishing I had bought the more powerful flash

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter