Europe hotel transfers questions

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the 1-way Barcelona to Southampton cruise next summer and have a few questions about booking the transportation and hotels through Disney for pre- and post-stay. Yes, we know that there’s more options and it’s cheaper to book on our own, but with a multigenerational group with individuals with limited mobility, we need to consider all options. Cheapest isn’t always best. Here are our questions:
-in Barcelona, does Disney transport us from the airport to their hotel affiliate?
-in Barcelona, does Disney transport us from their hotel affiliate to the cruise terminal?
-do we have to select a PAT if using Disney’s transportation?
-in Southampton, will Disney transport us from the cruise terminal to a London hotel affiliate? Or are the options only in Southampton? Will our luggage be transported by Disney so it is “hands off” for us, or do we collect it and bring it on our own to the Disney vehicle?

if anyone has experience with this and has other suggestions (favoring ease over price given this particular trip party‘s circumstances), I’d really appreciate any input!

We are booked on the 1-way Barcelona to Southampton cruise next summer and have a few questions about booking the transportation and hotels through Disney for pre- and post-stay. Yes, we know that there’s more options and it’s cheaper to book on our own, but with a multigenerational group with individuals with limited mobility, we need to consider all options. Cheapest isn’t always best. Here are our questions:
-in Barcelona, does Disney transport us from the airport to their hotel affiliate?
-in Barcelona, does Disney transport us from their hotel affiliate to the cruise terminal?
-in Southampton, will Disney transport us from the cruise terminal to a London hotel affiliate? Or are the options only in Southampton? Will our luggage be transported by Disney so it is “hands off” for us, or do we collect it and bring it on our own to the Disney vehicle?

if anyone has experience with this and has other suggestions (favoring ease over price given this particular trip party‘s circumstances), I’d really appreciate any input!
Following this as we are considering this cruise as well.

I can't say for sure - you'll have to check as you get closer but our experience three times cruising DCL in Europe - twice from Barcelona and once from Dover was that: (a) if you book transfers, they will pick you up from the airport and take you to the hotels booked through them; (b) they pick up your luggage on the morning of the cruise and will transport it ahead of you; (c) they'll put you on transfers to the cruise port. We didn't have to pick PATs any of those times.

Once we went to a hotel in Barcelona after the cruise and DCL took us from the port to the hotel (also arranged through them) and to the airport after a couple of days stay. The other two times we went directly from the cruise to the airport. Regardless of whether you're going to the airport or a hotel booked through DCL after the cruise, you have to take your luggage with you - no independent transport. There is also, I believe, a maximum length both before and after the cruise that you can book those hotels and the transfers. When we stayed in London (cruise went out of Dover), we came in a day earlier than we could book a hotel through them so stayed at a hotel near the airport, then went back to the airport the next day to get picked up and taken to their hotel. A bit of a hassle but we were coming from visiting family in Germany and that was when we could get the flights we wanted.

Starting to put together the Barcelona to Rome cruise and figuring this all out as well.

Not sure if I want to do public transport or not. My only issue is in Rome, I have very specific hotel I want to stay in for 2 nights post cruise.

I’m on the same cruise THIS summer.

BOOK YOUR BARCELONA HOTEL NOW. I was unable to get a room through DCL because they sold out. Because of that, I can’t answer your questions about the transportation. Don’t quote me, but I don’t think that transportation is available from airport to hotel for pre-cruise stays, but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

My understanding is that a PAT is not selected for guests with DCL transfers. I will try to remember to follow up here after I check in online and let you know for sure.

For Southampton, the post-cruise hotels are in London. We’re staying at the Sofitel Heathrow and taking DCL transportation. Again, I will try to remember to follow up with what my experience is this summer re: the luggage. We chose the Sofitel because it was the least expensive. It’s 45-60 minutes outside of central London, but that’s because it is literally attached to Terminal 5 of Heathrow. So no transportation is needed between it and the airport. I think we leave out of terminal 2, and we can take the underground for free from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2.

My advice: if there’s even an INKLING you will use Disney’s pre- and/or post-cruise hotels, book them now. You can remove them from the reservation later if you don’t need them.

We just came back from a Disney Dream Med cruise. We used Disney hotels/ground transfers. They picked us up at the Barcelona airport and took us to the hotel (Hilton Diagonal Mar). A coach took a large group of us who were staying at the hotel pre-cruise to the cruise port the morning of our sail date. After the cruise, they picked us up at the port (again, a fairly large group) and took us back to the hotel where we stayed that night (we couldn't get a flight out of Barcelona the same day as debarkation). We were picked up the next morning and driven to the airport. It's all pretty slick; my only beef was it seemed like you didn't get much info until closer to your sail date (maybe because I booked through Disney Vacation Club?).

We just came back from a Disney Dream Med cruise. We used Disney hotels/ground transfers. They picked us up at the Barcelona airport and took us to the hotel (Hilton Diagonal Mar). A coach took a large group of us who were staying at the hotel pre-cruise to the cruise port the morning of our sail date. After the cruise, they picked us up at the port (again, a fairly large group) and took us back to the hotel where we stayed that night (we couldn't get a flight out of Barcelona the same day as debarkation). We were picked up the next morning and driven to the airport. It's all pretty slick; my only beef was it seemed like you didn't get much info until closer to your sail date (maybe because I booked through Disney Vacation Club?).
Hi… may I ask pls at what time did they pick you in the hotel (Barcelona) to go to the airport?
Thanks

Hi… may I ask pls at what time did they pick you in the hotel (Barcelona) to go to the airport?
Thanks
We had a 9:40am flight back to the US and out pick-up time was 6:40am. Not a large group in a big coach at that hour--it was the two of us and another couple in a Mercedes Sprinter van, which was fine.

I can't say for sure - you'll have to check as you get closer but our experience three times cruising DCL in Europe - twice from Barcelona and once from Dover was that: (a) if you book transfers, they will pick you up from the airport and take you to the hotels booked through them; (b) they pick up your luggage on the morning of the cruise and will transport it ahead of you; (c) they'll put you on transfers to the cruise port. We didn't have to pick PATs any of those times.

Once we went to a hotel in Barcelona after the cruise and DCL took us from the port to the hotel (also arranged through them) and to the airport after a couple of days stay. The other two times we went directly from the cruise to the airport. Regardless of whether you're going to the airport or a hotel booked through DCL after the cruise, you have to take your luggage with you - no independent transport. There is also, I believe, a maximum length both before and after the cruise that you can book those hotels and the transfers. When we stayed in London (cruise went out of Dover), we came in a day earlier than we could book a hotel through them so stayed at a hotel near the airport, then went back to the airport the next day to get picked up and taken to their hotel. A bit of a hassle but we were coming from visiting family in Germany and that was when we could get the flights we wanted.
This was all incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time to detail this out.

BOOK YOUR BARCELONA HOTEL NOW. I was unable to get a room through DCL because they sold out. Because of that, I can’t answer your questions about the transportation. Don’t quote me, but I don’t think that transportation is available from airport to hotel for pre-cruise stays, but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

My understanding is that a PAT is not selected for guests with DCL transfers. I will try to remember to follow up here after I check in online and let you know for sure.

For Southampton, the post-cruise hotels are in London. We’re staying at the Sofitel Heathrow and taking DCL transportation. Again, I will try to remember to follow up with what my experience is this summer re: the luggage. We chose the Sofitel because it was the least expensive. It’s 45-60 minutes outside of central London, but that’s because it is literally attached to Terminal 5 of Heathrow. So no transportation is needed between it and the airport. I think we leave out of terminal 2, and we can take the underground for free from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2.

My advice: if there’s even an INKLING you will use Disney’s pre- and/or post-cruise hotels, book them now. You can remove them from the reservation later if you don’t need them.
Thank you, I really appreciate this advice!

We had a 9:40am flight back to the US and out pick-up time was 6:40am. Not a large group in a big coach at that hour--it was the two of us and another couple in a Mercedes Sprinter van, which was fine.
Thank you… apologies I wrote it wrong… I meant the the port on sail date… what time did the transportation pick you up to go the the ship?
Tks

Thank you… apologies I wrote it wrong… I meant the the port on sail date… what time did the transportation pick you up to go the the ship?
Tks
Can't find the piece of paper that says for sure and my feeble memory can't call it up....seems like it was 11:15a for a 12:15p Port Arrival Time. There was a DCL Guest Services table in the hotel lobby that you checked in with the day or two prior to departure. Travel time from hotel to cruise terminal was 20-30 minutes.

Can't find the piece of paper that says for sure and my feeble memory can't call it up....seems like it was 11:15a for a 12:15p Port Arrival Time. There was a DCL Guest Services table in the hotel lobby that you checked in with the day or two prior to departure. Travel time from hotel to cruise terminal was 20-30 minutes.
Thanks!

I have Disney transportation from the airport to the port and I had to select a port arrival time. Was able to get 11:30 am (looked like the first window, but I’m not sure) and boarding group 7.

Hope that helps! 😊

I have Disney transportation from the airport to the port and I had to select a port arrival time. Was able to get 11:30 am (looked like the first window, but I’m not sure) and boarding group 7.

Hope that helps! 😊

✔️ That would be the same situation in States if not doing Disney-designated hotel.

I have stayed at both the Sofitel at Heathrow and the Hilton Diagonal in Barcelona - and would definitely recommend them. (Not booked with Disney). Neither are in the tourist area, but are easy for access to airport (London) or port (Barcelona).

Sofitel - I don’t remember if there’s a lot of walking to get there. Heathrow is big. Check into accessibility help.

Hilton Diagonal - there was a mall across the street with food and a supermarket (when you realize you forgot something or need liquids).

* If the Disney-designated hotel is full, check availability directly with the property. I recently called to get a room at the MCO Hyatt - Disney had no rooms, but Hyatt did. But I was able to get Disney transfers from that hotel (so no need to select a PAT).

Hope it’s a great family trip!

I have stayed at both the Sofitel at Heathrow and the Hilton Diagonal in Barcelona - and would definitely recommend them. (Not booked with Disney). Neither are in the tourist area, but are easy for access to airport (London) or port (Barcelona).

Sofitel - I don’t remember if there’s a lot of walking to get there. Heathrow is big. Check into accessibility help.

Hilton Diagonal - there was a mall across the street with food and a supermarket (when you realize you forgot something or need liquids).

* If the Disney-designated hotel is full, check availability directly with the property. I recently called to get a room at the MCO Hyatt - Disney had no rooms, but Hyatt did. But I was able to get Disney transfers from that hotel (so no need to select a PAT).

Thank you for the tips!!

Tried to book independently. Full at the time I checked. Booked another property a few months ago. But thanks for the advice. 😊

Our family took the Disney Dream cruise from Barcelona May 27th (a few weeks ago) and had a great time. We stayed at the Disney recommended Hilton Diagonal Mar hotel and it was fantastic! The hotel is beautiful, spacious, and has several food options available. There is a mall across the street for last-minute shopping. Disney has bus transportation directly to the cruise ships on the morning of departure, with baggage pick ups from your room...very convenient and everything went well. One note, when we arrived at Barcelona airport to go to the hotel, we had pre-arranged transportation and they mixed up the Hilton hotels. Thankfully, we realized it before the transportation left us at the incorrect hotel...make sure you clarify the Diagonal Mar hotel...we did and it was an error on the part of the driver, but he took us to the correct hotel. I highly recommend the Hilton Diagonal Mar hotel and Disney bus service to the port for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter