• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Europe Heat Wave

firecracker725

DIS Veteran
If anyone is coming to Europe, particularly France, you should know we're in the grips of a powerful heat wave. Even if you think you can handle heat, you should make sure you take precautions.

I'm a southern girl, so I know heat, but this is a whole different animal. Like most, our apartment isn't air conditioned, and neither is my daughters' school. Thankfully, their last day is tomorrow. We're all baking over here!

Looks like, this one is breaking records. We were in Europe during the 2003 heat wave. The fans just circulated the hot air and the European air conditioners weren't much better.

Sorry, y'all are so miserable. :hug:

Ds is in London right now, but hasn't mentioned the heat. Of course where we live we have summer heat indexes of 100-105 normally. When he packed, we were more concerned about long pants and a jacket for him lol!

Ds is in London right now, but hasn't mentioned the heat. Of course where we live we have summer heat indexes of 100-105 normally. When he packed, we were more concerned about long pants and a jacket for him lol!
They are hitting those temps straight up...without the heat index. It's difficult to sleep when it's that hot.

If anyone is coming to Europe, particularly France, you should know we're in the grips of a powerful heat wave. Even if you think you can handle heat, you should make sure you take precautions.

I'm a southern girl, so I know heat, but this is a whole different animal. Like most, our apartment isn't air conditioned, and neither is my daughters' school. Thankfully, their last day is tomorrow. We're all baking over here!
We have been at 108, try being in death valley

A couple of teachers I know are in Paris right now & theyve mentioned how hot it is (gotta love Facebook!)

We have friends returning tomorrow from a month in Europe. Wondering how they fared.

My daughter is also in Paris with a school trip and is telling me about it..
She moves onto Amsterdam in the morning, and then Berlin, it seems slightly cooler.

My in laws had a very difficult time with the heat wave in 2003. They kept the temp around 60 degrees at home. The air conditioners don't cool like that in Europe, even if they are available. DMIL had to buy a whole new wardrobe.

Oh, and they could NEVER find enough ice for their drinks (typical Americans).

Hopefully, this heat wave will not have the fatalities of 2003. It was a really HOT summer.

Last edited:
I leave for Europe on Wednesday. Turkey and Greece. As always, my timing is impeccable--especially with the financial crisis. :crazy2:

I leave for Europe on Wednesday. Turkey and Greece. As always, my timing is impeccable--especially with the financial crisis. :crazy2:
Two places, I've always wanted to visit. Unfortunately, they are off our list, at least for now.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:
Have fun and bee safe!
Thank you! I have friends in both countries who are going to show us around. We just ordered Euros, so I'm hoping all will be ok!

Thank you! I have friends in both countries who are going to show us around. We just ordered Euros, so I'm hoping all will be ok!

Yeah, this is one time I'd definitely go with some Euros. Are you laying over in any other Euro-zone countries? If so, hit an ATM at the airport.

German (at least the Heidelberg area) is almost as bad too. Hit 100 yesterday and likely to go a bit higher today (as mentioned, not counting heat index--and it is pretty humid on top of that).

And as mentioned, few places have a/c, you are not likely to get ice in a beverage, etc----so it can feel a little harder to cope with.

Our area has school until July 28--local schools are having shorter days to let the kids out before the worst of it hits, but DS's school is keeping the older 4 grades full time anyway. It'S miserable.

Everyone take it easy, drink a lot of water and stay in the shade, breezes, etc when you can.

German (at least the Heidelberg area) is almost as bad too. Hit 100 yesterday and likely to go a bit higher today (as mentioned, not counting heat index--and it is pretty humid on top of that).

And as mentioned, few places have a/c, you are not likely to get ice in a beverage, etc----so it can feel a little harder to cope with.

Our area has school until July 28--local schools are having shorter days to let the kids out before the worst of it hits, but DS's school is keeping the older 4 grades full time anyway. It'S miserable.

Everyone take it easy, drink a lot of water and stay in the shade, breezes, etc when you can.

Just picked my girls up from school for dejeuner, and my 7yo is soaked in sweat. If they weren't having a party, I would just keep her home this afternoon. As it is, I'm not sending my 4yo back. We'll be in the dark and under fans. Even our stairwell, which is always cool, is showing close to 32 right now. The nights are just not cooling down. Sleeping is the worst, by far.

The city has had free public transport the last two days because of pollution. I'm actually considering hopping on for a a joy ride because the trams are air conditioned.

Currently 23 degrees C in England, but it got to 35 degrees C the other day!!! Sleeping has been almost impossible the last couple of nights so I'm a grumpy mess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter