Ethics question about DVC point rentals

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by st225, Oct 19, 2012.

1. patty57

patty57 DIS Veteran

I am not a DVC owner, but have rented a couple of times. I often side with rentees because I understand their positions, however the above quote says it all. It was a passive-aggressive move to send half payment when full payment was requested and expected, as spelled out in the emailed contract. The OP should have asked if half payment was okay before taking it upon themselves to try and change the terms, instead of "politely" asking after they had stiffed the renter. I agree that the renter was probably scared off by that.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CarolAnnC

CarolAnnC <font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin

The bottom line is that we are not talking about a flea market or garage sale here where the "owner" is attempting to fire sale off some undesirable timeshare vacation.

Would you call up an airline and negotiate how you would pay for airplane tickets, or go into a travel agency and after having the agent work hard to obtain a reservation with a wait list etc., try to negotiate down the terms of payment?

It is what it is, and I think rather than be miffed that the reservation was not held, the OP should learn from this experience and realize that it is just not done that way when renting DVC from a private owner - the owner calls the shots. The same way Disney calls the shots if you make a reservation with them via CRO.

Best wishes on obtaining a new reservation, and hope it all works out for you in the end... :)