Ethernet ports for internet access at Disney Resorts?

WDWGeek1971

Mouseketeer
Greetings!

If you never met the internet before 2005, you will no doubt find this posting mystical.

I am now fully vaccinated, have an Annual Pass, working from "remote" and ready to do some work-and-stay trips at WDW. I have no idea if there are any options to hardwire yourself into a network at any of the hotels. We used to be able to, and I would bring my own WiFi access point. Lately, I have been fine using 4G and hotel WiFi, but to really work, I would prefer going back to the old ways.

Do any of the hotel rooms even have an active ethernet port in them? I am booked at Coronado Springs, Pop Century, and can switch to the Swan or Saratoga, if need be. Otherwise, I might need to try VRBO or similar, though on property is preferred. Any current information would be greatly appreciated!

Many Disney hotels have 'business centers' where you can use your laptop. Whether of not they also use wifi vs. being hard wired is something you would have to ask them. Frankly, wifi has improved to the point where you don't even notice the difference for most types of PC access. The only advantage to plugging in directly would be if the wifi was spotty or a much slower speed.

All the "HSIA" ports seem to have been disabled/disconnected.

If you don't want to mess with hotel WiFi, you could always buy a hotspot from your cell phone provider if you budget allows

Many Disney hotels have 'business centers' where you can use your laptop. Whether of not they also use wifi vs. being hard wired is something you would have to ask them. Frankly, wifi has improved to the point where you don't even notice the difference for most types of PC access. The only advantage to plugging in directly would be if the wifi was spotty or a much slower speed.
The security of the hotels public wifi network can restrict some people from being ok with using them. I wouldn't do anything I wouldn't be OK with the whole world knowing about on them.

OP was talking about using it for work. Could also use VPN and most businesses have some sort of security on their internal applications.

Last trip to the Swan/Dolphin they still had Ethernet cables, but I'd call to make sure they are still working. A lot of business users still want the connection since it's faster, but hot spots are taking the place of it and more secure.

OP was talking about using it for work. Could also use VPN and most businesses have some sort of security on their internal applications.

I have had to work from Disney a few times the last couple years. We had a VPN and I always found the wifi to be more than adequate. I do travel with a hotspot in case I need to do banking or bill paying of a personal nature, since I usually do that from a phone or tablet that didn’t have access to the company VPN.

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to count on using the hotspot on my iPhone, since I already have that and it is very reliable.
Just am FYI, depending on your hotel and the location of your room, cell phone coverage may be limited. If it is important, I would call Disney and make a request for a room with good coverage for whatever your carrier is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter