ESPN Wide World of Sports Expansion

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Disney has filed a permit for a large 170,000+ square foot building at the WWoS. It is uncertain what this building will be for.

image.jpg

Wow...that could be anything...but it's a mammoth building.

I wonder if they have higher aspirations for wwos moving forward?

That was always an Eisner plan to spur additional traffic.

I've wondered if they would interested in hosting an NFL training camp...for one...I believe they had some of that action from Tampa in the past.

Or maybe some type of USOC training center?

Wow...that could be anything...but it's a mammoth building.

I wonder if they have higher aspirations for wwos moving forward?

That was always an Eisner plan to spur additional traffic.

I've wondered if they would interested in hosting an NFL training camp...for one...I believe they had some of that action from Tampa in the past.

Or maybe some type of USOC training center?
Yes this will be interesting to see what they do with this. With the Braves looking to leave they would probably need a draw for the public to go there. It could be a multi-purpose arena of sorts. I know we have one proposed in our area that will be used for baseball, soccer and whatever else.

Do they have an Olympic sized pool there? Is that kind of thing in the ballpark of the proposed square footage? I can't visualize it.

Definitely a sports stadium or some type. Satellite tv truck pad. Doubt they want the traffic of hosting a pro team for regular season. You wouldn't really put an indoor baseball stadium for spring training purposes. Seems small for football. Basketball or hockey? Convention space? Super duper cheerleader space? Multi purpose special event space. What happened with the nba thing at disney quest. Did the NBA say no go, or do we just know that it's no go at disney quest?

I'm not sure about exact footprint size, but there is a Aquatic Center (now owned by the Central Florida YMCA) parallel to I-4 heading east right before the Sand Lake Road exit.

When I was growing up, it was used for Olympic qualifying in swimming and diving events - so that could give you a rough idea if the complex is going to be something more of that style versus another multi-sport building.

It could be a domed baseball stadium and could potentially have a tennant, with the news that the Tampa Bay Rays are possibly looking for a new home - either in the Tampa/St. Pete area or elsewhere. Doubt it's basketball with the Amway being one of the newest arenas in the league, along with there not really being a team in talks to move anywhere. Definitely not big enough for football - they'd need the entire WWoS complex and then some for infrastructure for that.

With soccer on the rise, it could be a domed stadium for soccer ...

The main structure is about 400 ft by 400ft. The shape indicates the maximum playing surface space would be about 300 ft by 300 ft, and that doesn't allow a lot of seating in that configuration. If there was minimal seating you could make a football/soccer practice facility, but that would be very tight.

looking closer, they have a soccer field indicated on the permit. The soccer field is longer than the building.

That would fit an ice rink rather nicely and leave room for adequate seating. An international sized ice surface is about 200x100 feet (61x30 meters).

I'm thinking multi-purpose sports dome. Could hold all sorts of events from indoor baseball, basketball, soccer and football training.

Could this be an arena for an ice rink? I could be wrong, but I don't think the current arena- HP Fieldhouse has the infastucture in place for ice?

Thinking figure staking, hockey venue?

There isn't a whole lot of parking shown with the project. So I don't think it's intended to house a bunch of spectators for it's intended use, or at least not ones that drive in solely for an event at the space.

There isn't a whole lot of parking shown with the project. So I don't think it's intended to house a bunch of spectators for it's intended use, or at least not ones that drive in solely for an event at the space.
The parking shown is just an expansion of the existing lot. There is more parking already there that could be used for an event.

Oh come on...you can't tell me you can't see the similarities here. It is exactly the same size as something found at a few places throughout WDW, and it has been rumored for years. It fits in perfectly, and will expand the footprint greatly. It will satisfy a huge need by all WDW guest, and will hush the doubters that have existed on these boards for years. It will tie the whole world together. It is obviously the new monorail expansion.

... and maybe the cheerleading events that are currently held at the Indy theater in DHS?

Cheerleading events are held at the Indy theater in DHS? My girlfriend coaches a Cheerleading Team (don't worry, we both made sure they did not add to the annoyance of other Cheerleaders who are disrespectful in the parks) and her team competed at the Wide World of Sports. Do you know the name of the competition that is held at the Indy theater?

Cheerleading events are held at the Indy theater in DHS? My girlfriend coaches a Cheerleading Team (don't worry, we both made sure they did not add to the annoyance of other Cheerleaders who are disrespectful in the parks) and her team competed at the Wide World of Sports. Do you know the name of the competition that is held at the Indy theater?

No, I don't know the details. I do know that outside events are held there, and I believe someone mentioned cheerleading. This is often given as reason (although not a good one) why Indy won't close any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter