ESPN Weekend 2011 ????

MinnieGirl33

DIS Veteran
I know ESPN Weekend historically falls on the last weekend in February BUT I was wondering if anyone thought the dates might be changed since they changed the dates for the Princess 1/2 Marathon for that weekend next year (2/25-2/27/11)? Also, there's no mention of the ESPN 5K? :confused3 Would they host the Princess & the 5K in the same weekend?

Looking for insight as to whether or not signs point to a date change for ESPN?

Anybody remember when the ESPNtheWeekend website was updated in previous years?

I know last year they posted the dates fairly late, at least in my opinion. Last year I tried calling Disney in September for ESPN the weekend dates this year and details and they were of no assistance. I was in Disney in October and they still had no details then either.

We went in 2009, booked the trip very close to the dates themselves and missed one day of the event because the dates weren't released.

ESPN also updates their website late in the game, and doesn't include many details about booking for special events or live events like Mike and Mike in the morning @ ESPN Zone.

I personally am disappointed with how late details are finalized and released to the public.

There is an ESPN the weekend Facebook page I recently found. Google it and you will see it. The dates are February 24th to the 28th, 2011. We went ahead and booked our stay based on this information.

Just my opinion, but how reliable is that facebook page? I, too, was interested in attending the weekend, but find it kind of strange that nothing officially, other than facebook, has been announced. Plus that would be a really busy week, considering that it is President's week and they are having the 1/2 marathon.

It's on ESPN's site too.

http://espn.go.com/espntheweekend/

My AP's go through March, so I'm taking a guys only trip!

That link was for 2010. :sad1: I was curious when I saw it, since it didn't say 2011 anywhere, but then noticed the tab said 2010. I hope it's the same as this year...my husband really enjoyed this surprise (we didn't even know about it until about a week before the trip).

I followed the link from Disney's site to ESPN, but you all are right - it's 2010 info. Doesn't so much matter to me, I'm planning a guys only trip for whenever the heck it is!

I have no answers (sorry) but wanted to chime in that I'm waiting for those dates to be released too!

We had an absolute blast last year.

Hi! We attended in 2008 and 2010 and it seemed the actual dates were not released until something like January-which makes it really hard to plan.

Historically it has been the last weekend (some stuff Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun) of Feb into March. DH and I love to take a long weekend here and make this our adults only trip.

Good luck finding info, I wonder if they wait so long b/c they are trying to get commitments from the athletes?

Also, the FD is available now for the last weekend of February-which is when ESPN the Weekend usually is-as far as I know that is a first (having FD during this time). I went ahead and put a deposit down for 2/25-3/1...and will make ADR's for DH and I as soon as I can-so we will see.

For what it's worth, the runDisney site lists The Weekend's 5K race as 3/5/11. This is the first "company" site that has listed a date, as far as I know. (And, it still could change. The Princess Half race had its data changed after it was announced.)

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/rundisney/

Thanks for this update! I had actually been checking on that site hoping that they would list something related to the race but hadn't checked it in a few weeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter