• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

Why do I smell a spoiler alert for the Cinematic Spectacular?????

You know, I've never ridden Simpson's. Can't stomach the line. One of these days. Same issue with RRR but that is far higher on my list of things to try. Gringotts though? I would wait an hour for that. LOVE the pictures of it, thank you thank you thank you!

And may get the chance to!

Turns out I have a conference in Orlando next March and rumor has it that there is something at Universal. We shall see! Fun evening and updates

Why do I smell a spoiler alert for the Cinematic Spectacular?????

Must be because you have excellent olfactory senses!

:lmao:

You know, I've never ridden Simpson's. Can't stomach the line. One of these days. Same issue with RRR but that is far higher on my list of things to try. Gringotts though? I would wait an hour for that. LOVE the pictures of it, thank you thank you thank you!

When was your last US visit with Express Pass? 2010 or 2011? Although even with Express Pass the line for Simpsons can be 20-30 minutes. And until you get to the preshow to the preshow room, the queue is pretty boring.

We didn't attempt RRR until they added Express Pass to the ride, shortly before our 2013 trip, I believe. It is a lot like California Screamin'!

Gringott's is worth an hour wait... more even... IF you get to ride.

::yes::

And may get the chance to!

Turns out I have a conference in Orlando next March and rumor has it that there is something at Universal. We shall see! Fun evening and updates

:woohoo:

Can't wait to hear more details on your conference when you have them!

:thumbsup2

Great updates. I will say that I really liked the Men in Black attraction. Food looks yummy as do the desserts. (Sorry I didn't comment more...so far behind everywhere).

Great update! You certainly packed in a lot on your first day. Are a lot of rides at US simulators? Your dessert in the lounge looks yummy!

I love the Simpson's area. We got drinks at the bar across from the food court, and I grabbed some donuts to try. Would you believe the bartender came over with napkins and served the donuts to us. Brought plates and utensils everything :) then pretended to steal the rest of the donuts LOL It was just a nice moment. RRR, I did it once and listened to MC Hammer. I'm getting to old for coasters haha. I can't wait to see Diagon Alley this summer. MIB is a favorite!

So nice to be able to get caught up on US trip reports! Been obsessing over SWW details on WDW side. Really looking forward to seeing DA this summer-last time we did USF Jaws was still there as was Back to the Future, and my middle child was 16 months (Universal had the best child swap-way better than Disney). She is 12.5 now and a thrill ride junkie and huge HP fan. Can't wait for next update!!

Looks like I not only got really behind on this report, but also on my replies! Sorry about that.

Working on a mega update on Forbidden Journey...

pixiedust:

Great update. Looking forward to more and just wanted to wish you a very happy Easter :flower1:

Thank you! We had a nice laidback Easter with my dad and my in-laws. Nice day.

:goodvibes:

Great updates. I will say that I really liked the Men in Black attraction. Food looks yummy as do the desserts. (Sorry I didn't comment more...so far behind everywhere).

Men in Black is fun! I think I like Toy Story Mania best, then MIB, then Buzz Lightyear in a rating of similar attractions.

We were pretty happy overall with the meals we had in Universal.

:thumbsup2

Great update! You certainly packed in a lot on your first day. Are a lot of rides at US simulators? Your dessert in the lounge looks yummy!

We ended up really making up for our late start- Gotta love adrenaline!

Yes, an awful lot of simulators and simulator type rides at US. Simpsons and Despicable Me. Transformers is a ride where you ride through various 3D simulator screens (Spiderman at US is the same). Gringotts has a simulator aspect. So does Shrek 3D (more like It's Tough to Be a Bug with a little motion component).

The desserts in the lounge were nothing to write home about (but I guess enough to write here about), but it was a nice, simple end to the night.

:)

I love the Simpson's area. We got drinks at the bar across from the food court, and I grabbed some donuts to try. Would you believe the bartender came over with napkins and served the donuts to us. Brought plates and utensils everything :) then pretended to steal the rest of the donuts LOL It was just a nice moment. RRR, I did it once and listened to MC Hammer. I'm getting to old for coasters haha. I can't wait to see Diagon Alley this summer. MIB is a favorite!

The Simpsons area really is fun and it has been fun for us to see the changes from the last two trips. They really have added a lot there! That's funny about the 4-star donut service! You guys are all going to love Diagon Alley!!!

::yes::

So nice to be able to get caught up on US trip reports! Been obsessing over SWW details on WDW side. Really looking forward to seeing DA this summer-last time we did USF Jaws was still there as was Back to the Future, and my middle child was 16 months (Universal had the best child swap-way better than Disney). She is 12.5 now and a thrill ride junkie and huge HP fan. Can't wait for next update!!

Wow, that was awhile ago!

I think we were 17 years between our very first visit to US (1994) and our first trip with the boys in 2011.

It really is a great park for thrill junkies and Harry Potter fans!

:cool1:

Tuesday February 17

The Early Bird Catches the Snitch

We started the morning with breakfast in the club lounge at 7 am. It was not very crowded when we first arrived, but filled up within 10 minutes. Here is a link to pictures of the breakfast offerings.

Breakfast photos 1

Breakfast photos 2

Today was the warmest day of our trip, and we all chose to wear shorts and t-shirts to the parks.

A few weeks before our trip, the park with early opening for US resort guests changed from Universal Studios to Islands of Adventure. That was too bad, because that has been the park that has been open early for our two previous visits and it would have been nice to be able to go to Gringott’s first thing. But still, we walked to IoA entrance for the 8 am opening and eventually made it through the turnstiles. It probably took 10 minutes or so, but was not the worst wait we would have at the entry.

Once you get to Seussland, there are TMs (Team Members) who check to make sure you have resort keys to prove that you are staying onsite and are eligible for early entry.

Continuing on through Seussland and then the Lost Continent, you arrive at the entry to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. As many times as I have walked underneath this gate, I am always awed at being immersed in the magical world created by JK Rowling.

P1150624.JPG

DSCF5429.JPG

DSCF5430.JPG

DSCF5431.JPG

DSCF5447.JPG

DSCF9041.JPG

As always we headed directly to Forbidden Journey. I think there was a 30 minute wait time every morning when we arrived here. In the next few posts, I am going to do a thorough review of the ride and post a lot of pictures. For me, a true Gryffindork, the queue through Hogwarts castle is almost better than the ride because of all of the Harry Potter details and references.

I will give anyone who wants it a pass through this section of the trip report without reading, 1) if you are not interested in Harry Potter’s world (I know there are some of you out there) or 2) if you have not yet visited the Wizarding World and you prefer to experience this without having a previous exposure to what you will find in the castle.

Forbidden Journey 1.jpg

After our ride on Forbidden Journey, we all did Dragon Challenge (an extreme coaster) and Flight of the Hippogriff (not-so-extreme coaster). I’ll have pictures next time I post. We had hoped to go on the Hogwarts Express to take us to Kings Cross over in Universal Studios/Diagon Alley, but the train was either down or not running yet, so we decided to proceed through the rest of Islands of Adventure.

See you next time if you prefer to skip the next part or continue to the next posts.

Next Up: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Last edited:
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

IMG_5079[1].jpg
From 2013

Make your way through the classrooms and corridors of Hogwarts. Then soar above the castle grounds on a groundbreaking ride that lets you join Harry Potter and his friends on an unforgettably thrilling adventure.

The ride opened in June 2010 and uses a KUKA robot-arm technology, which is the same system as you will find at Disney’s Sum of All Thrills, except that this one is a robocoater that moves through various scenes. This technology allows seats to pivot while being held above the track by a robotic arm.

The queue line is a vitally important part of the attraction experience.

First, you walk through the entrance gates of the castle and soak in the amazing details of the castle:

P1150628.JPG

P1150944.JPG

DSCF0464.JPG

DSCF9035.JPG

DSCF0466.JPG

DSCF0465.JPG

Next you will enter the castle dungeons, where you will find the mandatory lockers, the single rider entry queue and I think the castle tour entrance. Thanks to my trusty fanny pack, I have not had to endure the Locker Torture Experience, but at times it can get really crowded and chaotic in there. Avoid if possible!

In this section of the dungeons you will find the Mirror of Erised, an enchanted looking glass where the reflection shows what you most desire. Most of the time, we have been walking through this part pretty quickly and miss this great artifact.

P1150945.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
The Greenhouse

Pretty soon you will enter the greenhouse, which I find to be the least magical of all of the areas of the castle. The line here, just before you enter the castle, backs up. In the summer months it is wicked hot with only fans, not air-conditioning. There are a few things to look at but is there a reason they couldn’t have animatronic Mandrakes screaming as they pop out of their pots?

DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0501.JPG

DSCF6106.JPG

P1150952.JPG

P1150536.JPG

You do get some pretty cool views of the castle towers from here, though

DSCF0499.JPG

P1150948.JPG

DSCF6103.JPG

DSCF0475.JPG

Ready to go in?

P1150953.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Just after you enter the school doors there are two bronze statues and and the Hogwarts House Jewels. The statues are either Godric Gryffindor or the Architect of Hogwarts (I have seen both mentioned) and Salazar Slytherin, two important characters in the Hogwarts legend.

DSCF0480.JPG

DSCF0512.JPG

DSCF6112.jpg

DSCF6111.jpg

DSCF0483.JPG

The jewels are a measure of the points earned by students in each of the Hogwarts houses during the school year.

DSCF0514.JPG

Gryffindor is leading!!!

I want to keep Dumbledore's office altogether, including the phoenix statue, so although this is not next, I am going to put in portrait gallery here. Like in the books and movies, the subjects in the portraits can move and talk!

DSCF5605.jpg

DSCF5795.jpg

DSCF0489.JPG

Last edited:
Dumbledore's Office

Next you will encounter a statue of Fawkes, the phoenix, who marks the entrance to Dumbledore’s tower office

DSCF0485.JPG

DSCF0516.JPG
From 2013

P1150634.JPG

I seriously geek out when I am in this room- I love the beautiful Pensieve and on our last visit there we spotted the Sword of Gryffindor for the first time.

DSCF0539.JPG

DSCF0536.JPG

P1150539.JPG

DSCF0535.JPG DSCF0493.JPG

Last edited:
Defence Against the Darks Art Classroom

You continue into my favorite part- the Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom.

Wow, the creepy objects and artifacts here are just awesome! I see something new everytime I go through.

DSCF0556.JPG

DSCF0559.JPG

P1150146.JPG

P1150149.JPG

DSCF0497.JPG DSCF0553.JPG

DSCF0551.JPG

DSCF0560.JPG

DSCF0561.JPG

DSCF0562.JPG

Last edited:
Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom (Continued)

There are also holograms of Harry, Ron and Hermione who explain that they are ditching a “History of Magic” lesson to take us to a Quiddich match. If you are in the room at the right time, Ron performs a spell that goes wrong, and it starts snowing.

P1150965.JPG

DSCF6124 (2).jpg

P1150967 (2).jpg

DSCF0555.JPG

P1150968 (2).jpg

Assorted pictures:

DSCF0564.JPG DSCF0488.JPG

P1150132.JPG

Last edited:
Gryffindor Common Room

Next up is the Gryffindor common room

You enter, of course, through the portrait of the Fat Lady

DSCF0566.JPG

DSCF5800.jpg

Here are display cases with notices and Quiddich uniforms

P1150155.JPG P1150156.JPG

DSCF0569.JPG

DSCF0571.JPG

DSCF0578.JPG

DSCF5851.JPG

P1150636.JPG

DSCF0572.JPG

Last edited:
Sorting Hat/Ride

Finally, you are face to face with the Sorting Hat, who gives the instructions for the ride (in verse, of course)

DSCF6133.JPG

P1150544.JPG

DSCF0581.JPG DSCF0580.JPG

You board the enchanted bench/brooms in the Room of Requirement, complete with floating candles.

DSCF0583.JPG DSCF0585.JPG

The ride experience itself includes a flight around Hogwarts Castle, an encounter with the Whomping Willow and arachnomantulas in the Forbidden Forest, The Chamber of Secrets, a horde of dementors and a Quiddich match.

Forbidden Journey 1.jpg

Pretty cool!

Last edited:
LOVE LOVE LOVE your FJ commentary (where did the worship smilie run off too lol). My DD7 is dying to ride it, she loves HP. The other kids enjoyed it, I usually take DD7 & DS6 on Hippogriff over and over :) She is small for her age, and I am so hoping she hits 48" this summer, we go to her Peds endocrinologist in July. My DH always says he needs to stretch her. She's my daredevil thrill ride girl too, poor thing. BUT we will all definitely be able to do Diagon Alley!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter