Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

We left the crowded Wizarding World and entered Jurassic Park.
I love that area of the park... JP, that is.

The next land opening in Islands of Adventure is going to be Skull Island (Summer 2016) featuring King Kong. Here is progress in February
Looks awesome! I mean, I'm not all that excited about King Kong in and of itself, but it looks like it could be a cool area.

75 minutes! That’s crazy!
Yes. Yes it is. That ride isn't even 75 seconds!

Dee, you will be happy to know that DH (I can use that now!!) and I had a fabulous time at WWHP. both parks were fairly quiet and we were able to get our wands and through all rides and shops fairly quickly last week.

I wasn't too impressed with the HRH concierge though... Then again, I'm used to Disney concierge and they are very different on serving schedules!

Last full day BC for us... Tomorrow we are headed back to cold and cloudy Michigan. :(

Alright, now you're talking about a movie that I have watched time and time again...Jurassic Park! Oh and I've seen King Kong! (the movie and the old attraction at Universal). Universal did a great job recreating the Discovery Center.

I love that area of the park... JP, that is.

Jurassic Park is VERY cool. Although somewhat less cool with the River Adventure ride shut down.

Looks awesome! I mean, I'm not all that excited about King Kong in and of itself, but it looks like it could be a cool area.

I remember riding the original King Kong ride in Universal (Kongfrontaion) back in 1994. Actually, I don't remember the ride but I do remember the two hour wait in line!

I haven't read much about what will be going on in Skull Island, but it really does look incredible.

Yes. Yes it is. That ride isn't even 75 seconds!

One of the funniest things I read in a trip report was a couple who were trying to hold their breath for the entire Flight of the Hippogriff. They didn't succeed, but they came close!

:rotfl:

Dee, you will be happy to know that DH (I can use that now!!) and I had a fabulous time at WWHP. both parks were fairly quiet and we were able to get our wands and through all rides and shops fairly quickly last week.

I wasn't too impressed with the HRH concierge though... Then again, I'm used to Disney concierge and they are very different on serving schedules!

Last full day BC for us... Tomorrow we are headed back to cold and cloudy Michigan. :(

CONGRATULATIONS to you and your DH!!!

party:

I am so happy to hear you had a great time at the Wizarding World. Sorry you were disappointed in the HRH club level. We mostly used it for a quick breakfast, which worked fine. The one time we went for evening apps it was crowded and chaotic.

Sorry you are back home to reality! Let us know, either here or on the FAQ, about your trip if you get a chance.

:goodvibes

Alright, now you're talking about a movie that I have watched time and time again...Jurassic Park! Oh and I've seen King Kong! (the movie and the old attraction at Universal). Universal did a great job recreating the Discovery Center.

Jurassic Park is such a classic! Like you, we can watch the movie again and again and never be bored. It was so well done. So much action and comedy.

I loved the 1976 King Kong movie with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. I'm sure I saw that a bunch of times. I'm not sure if I ever caught the Faye Wray version and I maybe saw the Jack Black one once.

Looking forward to seeing the Kong attraction when it is open (summer 2016), but I'm not sure when our next trip will be.

:chewy:

(Closest emoticon to a gorilla, and since you are not a Star Wars geek, I figure you won't know the difference) ;)

Last edited:

Isn’t it Too Cold for a Pool Break?

We arrived back at the Hard Rock, grabbed some snacks from the lounge and headed to our room. The boys were going to take it easy (they may have even napped) while Mark and I spent some time at the pool. This was our second visit to the Hard Rock and I think I am the only one who has spent any time pool side, about 15 minutes sitting in a lounge chair and reading and a few more minutes going around taking pictures.

Ever the optimist, I changed into a swim suit, but my realist husband did not. He may have packed swimming trunks in our pool bag just in case, but I can’t remember.

Not surprisingly, we found plenty of loungers available. It was sunny, but very cool and there was a little breeze. We found a couple of chairs in the sun. We sat for a little while, talked, maybe read.

A few brave souls were in the water. I touched the water with my foot to test the temperature and it wasn’t horrible. I was tempted, but I knew that being in the water would not be the hard part. Getting back out into the cool air would be the killer. I decided to skip the dip.

But I get restless sitting in one place for too long, so I strolled around taking a few pictures.

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF5956.jpg

DSCF5954.jpg

DSCF5971.jpg

DSCF5965.jpg

DSCF5967.jpg

DSCF5968.jpg

DSCF5972_1.jpg

DSCF5974.jpg

We returned to the room and after chilling (literally) at the pool and the boys’ relaxation time, we were ready to return to Universal Studios.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

We headed straight for Diagon Alley. After being shut out of Gringotts earlier in the day, we were determined to ride.

Although the wait time read 60 minutes, we decided to suck it up.

Here’s what the line looked like!

DSCF5980.jpg

DSCF5981.jpg

YIKES!

But the good thing about a slow line is that you can stop and take pictures!

DSCF5982.jpg

DSCF5984.jpg

DSCF5985.jpg

DSCF5987.jpg

980199_55760035.jpg

So when we were in the last section of the queue line, on the stairs after the elevator ride, after a 50 minute wait, we heard the announcement that trains would be stopping momentarily. That wasn’t so bad- it was a different announcement than we had heard earlier that day, so we figured it was probably just a loading issue. Then a new, but familiar announcement was made- the one that scared us away a few hours previously. I wish I could remember it, and I should since we heard it at least a dozen times. But we continued to tough it out and eventually the ride was up and functioning normally again.

By the way- why is it that you take an “elevator/lift” down the bottom floor of the bank and then you have to walk up the stairs to where you load into the mine cart??? Seems like if you just stopped a floor or two early you would be one the level you needed to be!

:confused3

We enjoyed our second ride on Escape from Gringotts and then we strolled around Diagon Alley.

DSCF5998.jpg

DSCF5999.jpg

DSCF6001.jpg

DSCF6003.jpg

Then we walked around the park in the dark

DSCF6008.jpg

DSCF6005.jpg

DSCF6006.jpg

Might as well take some time to shoot some aliens:

DSCF6007.jpg

DSCF6009.jpg

DSCF6010.jpg

MIB%20Thurs%20pm.jpg

One more peek at Diagon Alley at night.

DSCF6021.jpg

We had dinner reservations at Bubba Gumps. We may have been running early, but the evening was cool so we figured it couldn't hurt to go over. For anyone keeping track, this would be our last night at Universal and once again we managed to miss seeing the Cinematic Spectacular on this trip.

DSCF6030.jpg

Continued in Next Post: Run Forrest Run!

Last edited:
Run Forrest Run!

This was our 3rd time dining at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.

The first time, during our 2011 trip, the meal literally saved our night. We had gotten drenched at Sea World, we were wet and hungry. We all started turning on each other when we couldn’t decide where or what to eat. We were in line at the Panda Express, but Mark didn’t want to eat there. I checked out Margaritaville and was told the wait would be about an hour. Then we were able to be seated at Bubba’s right away and we enjoyed a fantastic meal.

We would be back on our next trip in 2013. The meals were good, but not spectacular. We ordered way too much and ended up leaving the restaurant with that uncomfortable too-full feeling.

The boys still wanted to eat here during the February trip. I purchased the Landry’s dining rewards card a few days before our trip for $25, and would receive a $25 dining credit on our first meal. Plus I would earn points toward meals at other Landry’s restaurants.

Unfortunately, there are not any Landry’s places near where we live. But it can be used to earn points at Bubba’s all over, TRex which is our must do at DTD/Disney Springs and Rainforest Café. Since we would not be “out” any money by purchasing the card it seemed like a no-brainer.

DSCF6033.jpg

The table set up at Bubba’s is kind of cool. They have this sign that says Run, Forrest, Run and you can flip it over to get a sign that says Stop, Forrest, Stop if you need something at the table to call over someone who works at the restaurant will check on you.

Oh, yeah, the restaurant staff asks diners to answer trivia questions about the movie, but after the 3rd visit, even though I have only seen the movie once, years ago, I know all of the answers.

Hmmm. My Bubba’s receipt is not in with my other Universal dining receipts from the trip. I’ll have to look for that.

DSCF6034.jpg

Mama Gump’s Garlic Bread Basket

DSCF6035.jpg

Mojito ETA: Mango Mojito

DSCF6037.jpg

Some other boat drink ETA: Secret Mango Sparkler (non-alcoholic)

DSCF6038.jpg

Some sort of shrimp combo: grilled shrimp and vegetable skewers, scampi
ETA: Shrimp Triple Play

DSCF6039.jpg

Shrimper’s Heaven: Coconut Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp, Crisp Golden Shrimp, and Tempura Shrimp, with Fries. Homemade dipping sauces: Cajun Marmalade, Zesty Cocktail, Tangy Asian

DSCF6040.jpg

Shrimp New Orleans: An authentic spicy recipe from our staff in the French Quarter. Lots of tender shrimp broiled with butter, garlic, spices and served with Jasmine Rice.

3 entrees. We must have split everything.
ETA: According to the receipt, Nate got the top sirloin steak. That makes sense.

Did we not get dessert??? Seems unlikely with my boys. Was I able to convince them that we could get something in the lounge on the way to our room?
ETA: Nope! Key lime pie on the receipt.

Must find that receipt!
ETA: Found it!

So when it came time to pay, I told them that I had signed up for the rewards card within the past week. They tried to look me up by state (Massachusetts) and couldn’t find me. Then I gave them my name, but they said that didn’t really help.

UGH!

I had a copy of the email confirmation, but it didn’t have any kind of an account number on it.

Took two waitstaff and a couple of managers to finally grant us our $25 credit and the points for our meal.

ETA: Now that I am looking at the receipt, it does not appear that they included the credit. The bill total came to $107.65, which I double-checked by adding it up. The receipt does show a welcome reward of $25, but the credit card slip presented to us was for the full $107.65. According to my credit card statement, I paid 132.68, the non-discounted price plus a $25 tip.

When we arrived home after the trip, the actual card arrived in the mail, and I saw that they had my address as Michigan instead of Massachusets.

We decided not to dine at Bubba’s on our August trip, so, so much for the points we had earned!!!

Next up: Last Day

Last edited:

Nice update. The pool at HR looks very nice.

The food at Bubbas looks delicious. Haven't eaten there in a while.

I love how realistic the whole HP area is. You really could be in London- those terraced houses are just like Downing Street.
Nice pool pictures Dee. Shame it was too cold for you to swim,
My teenager loves going through the gift shop attached to Bubba Gumps. Looks like you all had a pretty enjoyable meal :)

A few brave souls were in the water. I touched the water with my foot to test the temperature and it wasn’t horrible. I was tempted, but I knew that being in the water would not be the hard part. Getting back out into the cool air would be the killer. I decided to skip the dip.

I can't imagine who would go swimming in that weather ... I definitely would have made the same choice you did. The water might be okay for swimming, but getting out of the pool is a killer in the cold.
(Then again, I'm remembering the weather from when I arrived in Florida at 6 PM ... it may have been a drop warmer earlier in the day, but I'm guessing not much)

So when we were in the last section of the queue line, on the stairs after the elevator ride, after a 50 minute wait, we heard the announcement that trains would be stopping momentarily. That wasn’t so bad- it was a different announcement than we had heard earlier that day, so we figured it was probably just a loading issue. Then a new, but familiar announcement was made- the one that scared us away a few hours previously. I wish I could remember it, and I should since we heard it at least a dozen times. But we continued to tough it out and eventually the ride was up and functioning normally again.

Wow, they really seem to have a lot of trouble keeping the ride operational. I had heard that it went down a lot, but reading about it in your TR really brings the point home. Crazy! I'm glad you guys got to ride in the end!

By the way- why is it that you take an “elevator/lift” down the bottom floor of the bank and then you have to walk up the stairs to where you load into the mine cart??? Seems like if you just stopped a floor or two early you would be one the level you needed to be!

I find its easier not to ask questions when there are goblins involved... who knows why they built the bank the way they did?

We had dinner reservations at Bubba Gumps. We may have been running early, but the evening was cool so we figured it couldn't hurt to go over. For anyone keeping track, this would be our last night at Universal and once again we managed to miss seeing the Cinematic Spectacular on this trip.

Well, that's sad. But that's just the way it goes sometimes...
I hope you got to see it on your next trip!

The table set up at Bubba’s is kind of cool. They have this sign that says Run, Forrest, Run and you can flip it over to get a sign that says Stop, Forrest, Stop if you need something at the table to call over someone who works at the restaurant will check on you.

That's really cute! I did not know that! (Probably because I've never set foot in Bubba Gump in my life and probably never will)

As always, great update!

I never get tired of the HP photos. I just love that area!

I like how US puts the date on the ride photos. That's a nice touch.

I haven't eaten at Bubba Gump's in awhile. Your meal looked pretty tasty.

^^^^This was my thought as well ;)

I really enjoy Discovery Island, my girls get smitten with the baby dinosaur (puppets) which they used to swear were real.

I love the HRH pool, but I wouldn't have braved the swim either :)

Probably a wise choice. I mean, when the life guards are in windbreakers...

Here’s what the line looked like!
That's a lot of people. :faint:

You're using common sense. Doesn't that make you a muggle or something? :rotfl2:

So when it came time to pay, I told them that I had signed up for the rewards card within the past week. They tried to look me up by state (Massachusetts) and couldn’t find me. Then I gave them my name, but they said that didn’t really help.

UGH!

I had a copy of the email confirmation, but it didn’t have any kind of an account number on it.

Took two waitstaff and a couple of managers to finally grant us our $25 credit and the points for our meal.
Well, at least you eventually got the credit. Sorry it wasn't exactly an easy process.

When we arrived home after the trip, the actual card arrived in the mail, and I saw that they had my address as Michigan instead of Massachusets.
:sad2:

:rotfl2:

Did we not get dessert??? Seems unlikely with my boys. Was I able to convince them that we could get something in the lounge on the way to our room?

Must find that receipt!

Are you sure you didn't get the chocolate chip cookie skillet sundae? It's my absolute favorite dessert at CityWalk.

We decided not to dine at Bubba’s on our August trip, so, so much for the points we had earned!!!

It is amazing that you received the card in the mail. I don't blame you for not making a return trip. You have fresh seafood in your area. You can't get better than that. ;) At least you saved $25.

Hey friends! So sorry it has been difficult for me to keep up here, and everywhere.

One of my distractions has been enjoying the gorgeous New England foliage. Unfortunately, being surrounded by all this beauty has its price- I think I will be raking leaves at my house and my dad's until the snow comes down to cover it all!

Thanks for your patience!

:banana::banana::banana:

Nice update. The pool at HR looks very nice.

The food at Bubbas looks delicious. Haven't eaten there in a while.

Thanks!

The Hard Rock pool is gorgeous!

Mark and I finally got to take a dip in the pool in August. The biggest problem with the pool is the depth. I'm short- 5 feet tall- and if you can't build a pool that has a part over my head, then you are not really trying!!! Of course, it doesn't quite measure up to Stormalong Bay either but that is not a fair comparison!

The food at Bubba's is always good, I'm not quite sure why we weren't feeling it. Maybe we were too tired, perhaps it was just too much food.

:goodvibes:

I love how realistic the whole HP area is. You really could be in London- those terraced houses are just like Downing Street.
Nice pool pictures Dee. Shame it was too cold for you to swim,
My teenager loves going through the gift shop attached to Bubba Gumps. Looks like you all had a pretty enjoyable meal :)

You would know, my friend!

I can't remember, have you been to the Warner Brothers/Harry Potter Studio in London or wherever it is?

Even though we did not swim, it was nice to spend some time out in the sun, just lounging, doing nothing. Oh, that was Mark. I was up and about taking pictures!

We haven't spent much time in that gift shop. Good to know!

:thumbsup2

I can't imagine who would go swimming in that weather ... I definitely would have made the same choice you did. The water might be okay for swimming, but getting out of the pool is a killer in the cold.
(Then again, I'm remembering the weather from when I arrived in Florida at 6 PM ... it may have been a drop warmer earlier in the day, but I'm guessing not much)

If it had been a touch warmer during that week, I might have braved it. But when you have been feeling cold for days, a swim is not tempting!

:cold:

Wow, they really seem to have a lot of trouble keeping the ride operational. I had heard that it went down a lot, but reading about it in your TR really brings the point home. Crazy! I'm glad you guys got to ride in the end!

Gringott's was running more reliably during our August trip, but there were still moments when it broke down while we were in line.

:sad2:

I find its easier not to ask questions when there are goblins involved... who knows why they built the bank the way they did?

Good point!

Not a goblin, but close enough... :yoda:

Well, that's sad. But that's just the way it goes sometimes...
I hope you got to see it on your next trip!

I'm debating what I will do about a trip report for the Universal portion of the August trip. I'll probably at least post some pictures from that trip at the conclusion of this report.

I could stretch out the drama about whether I saw the Cinematic Spectacular.

*Spoiler Alert*

On our last night, at 8:10 I was in the loading line for Men in Black, with the Cinematic Spectacular scheduled to start at 8:30.

It would be cutting it close...

I chose to skip the ride, exited and watched the show alone while waiting for the boys.

:cool2:

That's really cute! I did not know that! (Probably because I've never set foot in Bubba Gump in my life and probably never will)

As always, great update!

The atmosphere at Bubba's is really fun. The waitstaff ask trivia questions about the movie (If you have only seen the movie once and that was when it first came out, but you can still answer all of the questions, it may be time to take a break from the restaurant)

The Run, Forrest, Run/Stop, Forrest, Stop sign is a really good idea, though!

::yes::

I never get tired of the HP photos. I just love that area!

I like how US puts the date on the ride photos. That's a nice touch.

I haven't eaten at Bubba Gump's in awhile. Your meal looked pretty tasty.

Thank you. More HP photos coming up, from our last day.

It really is helpful to have the date on the photos!!! Usually I can tell what day it is by what we were wearing, but on this trip in particular, we were all wearing the same sweatshirts every day, so that didn't help us identify when the pictures were taken. They also add the borders automatically, but I just learned how you can change the borders after you get home. But I haven't done that yet.

There seem to be Bubbas wherever we go on vacation, but we have only eaten in the Orlando one.

:goodvibes:

^^^^This was my thought as well ;)

:rotfl:

I love the HRH pool, but I wouldn't have braved the swim either :)

::yes::

Are you sure you didn't get the chocolate chip cookie skillet sundae? It's my absolute favorite dessert at CityWalk.

UGH!!! No, I'm not sure! I haven't found the receipt (actually, I haven't looked), but my boys love the cookie skillet too.

It is amazing that you received the card in the mail. I don't blame you for not making a return trip. You have fresh seafood in your area. You can't get better than that. ;) At least you saved $25.

The zip code was correct, so the postal service must have relied on that. I'm shocked it arrived in my mailbox, though, because most of my mail is delivered to the house before mine or after.

You are correct, lots of yummy seafood in my neck of the woods. Didn't stop us from going to Red Lobster in Hawaii (Anniversary dining fail!)

Well, we got our $25 back. I had to pay $25 for the rewards card. But everything from here on out is gravy!

:thumbsup2

Probably a wise choice. I mean, when the life guards are in windbreakers...

::yes:: :fish:
You're using common sense. Doesn't that make you a muggle or something? :rotfl2:

Bite your tongue!

:lmao:

That's a lot of people. :faint:

One of the few times we ever waited in a line that long for a ride. But we were determined to ride Gringott's since we were deterred earlier that day.

:eek:

Well, at least you eventually got the credit. Sorry it wasn't exactly an easy process.

How hard should it be. I had the email confirmation. I don't know why they couldn't look it up by name/email and had to find it by state.

Last edited:
I love foliage, and I don't blame you Dee..if I lived in such a gorgeous area I'd be out enjoying it too! My advisor called me yesterday to be sure I hadn't quit school yet. I threatened to last week, like legit had the add/drop page open. She said she calls her Master's students every week LOL. Well I was happy to report I am caught up and ahead since I am going to F&W next week. Unrelated I know, but she asked about the foliage up here and I thought of you :hug: Then she told me to pack shorts haha (She's in Jacksonville :) )

I love foliage, and I don't blame you Dee..if I lived in such a gorgeous area I'd be out enjoying it too! My advisor called me yesterday to be sure I hadn't quit school yet. I threatened to last week, like legit had the add/drop page open. She said she calls her Master's students every week LOL. Well I was happy to report I am caught up and ahead since I am going to F&W next week. Unrelated I know, but she asked about the foliage up here and I thought of you :hug: Then she told me to pack shorts haha (She's in Jacksonville :) )

Thanks for sharing that.

Here's some cheerleaders for you. You go, girl!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

And speaking of going... have a fantastic time at Food & Wine!!!

:drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter