Escaping Irene: A NY family "evacuates" to Disney! *Update 7/7 WWoHP*

Climbing aboard to hear about your trip! Whew, what drama in getting there. Bravo to you for holding it all together. I would have had a breakdown, for sure. :rolleyes:

Hopefully now you are heading for nothing but fun ( and maybe some sleep!) for the rest of vacation! :)

Thanks Christine!
We had a great trip despite the drama! My kids are not great sleepers so I never get a lot of sleep! :lmao:

Amanda

We had rented a minivan. I think it was the Town and Country which was quite lovely. I had printed out directions from here and All Ears and was the official navi-guesser. The kids were awful in the car. Absolutely awful. Tom actually pulled over at one point because the fighting was so bad. Not a good start to our trip. :sad1:
We had a few funny moments on the drive over. Does anyone remember those tolls where there is a net and you throw change into it? Tom and I haven't seen that in years! And Tom missed the first time. :scared1: :lmao: I think I'll be able to make fun of him for that for many years to come. :rotfl2:
Pretty soon we saw a happy sight!

ry%3D400

We stopped in front of the main part of the Contemporary so they could take our bags and I ran to check-in. For some reason this took a long time. Our room wasn't ready but I re-iterated that I'd prefer a high floor. We parked the car and decided to walk over to MK. We had to pick-up our APs and buy a TIW card from Guest Services. And it was getting close to lunch time.

For reasons that are not clear to me, Guest Services took FOREVER to print out 5 APs (which had all been paid for already) and then to get me our TIW card. The guy was nice but it was really slow. And the kids were still overtired and a bit cranky. Finally we had our cards and were ready to go! I suggested that we try to grab lunch at the Plaza. Tom suggested "that little restaurant right off of Main Street where you can see the castle?" And I said, "Right. The Plaza." Great minds think alike, even if they don't always remember names. :lmao:

They told us it would be a 20-40 minute wait and that seemed fine with us. We didn't have our grocery delivery yet so I wandered over to the ice cream shop to buy some water. I also bought a pre-lunch root beer float for us to share! We were at Disney afterall!!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Amanda

:yay: You've arrived! I do remember those net toll things. My dad used to always try and beat the light so he wouldn't stop. He'd throw the toll in while we were moving. He never did beat the light though:laughing: Starting out the trip with a meal at the Plaza is perfect! I hope the meal goes well.

Hi Amanda! Didn't know you started yet! I can't believe how stressful your airport adventure was! Glad you arrived at Disney in one piece, though-- excited to read more.

I am so glad that you updated your PTR today so I noticed that you had started here!

What a day you had getting to Disney. I can't imagine. And thankfully you had those fabulous people at the Hyatt to make things a bit better.

We have never eaten at the Plaza - mostly because we are usually on the dining plan and it doesn't seem like a good use of our credits. But, with all our upcoming trips, we are not on the dining plan and I am thinking we ought to try it out.

:yay: You've arrived! I do remember those net toll things. My dad used to always try and beat the light so he wouldn't stop. He'd throw the toll in while we were moving. He never did beat the light though:laughing: Starting out the trip with a meal at the Plaza is perfect! I hope the meal goes well.

We arrived. It felt like it took forever. Too funny about the tolls! :lmao:

Hi Amanda! Didn't know you started yet! I can't believe how stressful your airport adventure was! Glad you arrived at Disney in one piece, though-- excited to read more.

It was quite the adventure. But apparently you had your own adventure!

Yay for MK and impromptu pre-lunch rootbeer floats! :thumbsup2

Pre-lunch treats are always good! It was fun because I'm not usually someone who will let the kids have a treat before a meal.

I am so glad that you updated your PTR today so I noticed that you had started here!

What a day you had getting to Disney. I can't imagine. And thankfully you had those fabulous people at the Hyatt to make things a bit better.

We have never eaten at the Plaza - mostly because we are usually on the dining plan and it doesn't seem like a good use of our credits. But, with all our upcoming trips, we are not on the dining plan and I am thinking we ought to try it out.

The people at the Hyatt were like a life ring in a storm. :love:
I agree that the Plaza would be a poor value with the dining plan. For a cash meal it's worth it!

Amanda

We were actually seated at the Plaza in about 20 minutes - so the early side of the time range they gave us. It didn't feel like a very long wait. We did feel a few drops of rain while waiting and we listened to a parade in the background (12pm parade?). We were seated in the little room off to the left of the larger dining room. Our server was clearly experienced and very helpful and nice.
One thing that I loved about the Plaza - it's probably the only healthy TS meal on property! Seriously, instead of lots of french fries and stuff, the kids got carrots with ranch dressing and sliced fresh fruit. The boys had chicken nuggets with their healthy sides and Jessica got peanut butter and jelly. I had a delicious turkey sandwich and Tom ate a chicken sandwich. With each order the waiter offered alternatives for side dishes. Very nice! The food was fresh and nutritious and yummy. One annoying thing is that the bathrooms are next door and require leaving the restaurant. The Mayor came during our lunch to celebrate a family (not us) and we got his autograph to start our book. He drew a little picture of a face with a top hat!
After lunch we went to check the watch store on Main Street. Tom has a Mickey Mouse watch that isn't working and he wanted to see if they could fix it (they could not). I had seen a ring on the Disney Store website that I wanted to buy but it's no longer on the website and the store on Main Street didn't have it either. So that was annoying. We then stopped by the Barber Shop but the line was crazy so we skipped that too.
At that point there was nothing to do but try a few rides! :thumbsup2 We went on Pirates first (a favorite of mine!). Nathaniel was a little nervous about doing Pirate League later in the trip so we stopped by the counter to ask some questions (he really didn't want face make-up and he wanted to make sure it would still be fun). The CM at Pirate League was awesome and explained all the cool things he would get without any make-up and totally convinced him (I think he was convinced at "You get a pirate sword."). That was really helpful because he was still on the fence.
The line for Splash was pretty long but the line for Big Thunder was reasonable. Zachary passed the height test :thumbsup2 and we were could to go!!! I was a little nervous that Zachary would freak out. He chose to sit with Tom so I couldn't see his face. He looked a little scared at the end but he said he would go again. We hopped back in line when one of those epic thunderstorms erupted. Sadly, they closed the ride until the storm passed. The rain was really torrential so we waited a few minutes. It became clear that the storm wasn't going to be super quick so we broke out the rain ponchos and headed on our way.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

They held the 3pm parade for the thunderstorm so I told the kids we were the parade. We laughed and danced down the streets of Frontierland and got soaked. It was really fun! On the walk over to BLT, the kids found a snail.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And some pics of me.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Amanda

Great update! I love the Plaza! In fact after reading your earlier update I decided that sounded like the perfect way to start a vacation. So I made a lunch ADR at the Plaza on our arrival day in January. So right after checking in at BLT we will head over to the MK for lunch! I also love how you had a parade in the rain. I love summer rain!

I was way behind, but all caught up now!

Good call on taking Zachary on the little early morning airport excursion. Even better to find a Starbucks!

I am very impressed with all of the great Hilton employees who helped you out. Great bellhops who definitely went above and beyond!

"Navi-guesser!" :rotfl2:

I love your picture of the WDW entry arch!!!

A nice, but soggy start at the MK! I have never eaten at the Plaza- same reason as a PP- not a great dining plan value, but it sounds like it really fit the bill for you guys.

Yeah on Zachary's first ride on Big Thunder Mountain!!!

Your pictures of the kids with the snail cracked me up. Kids at Disney are always so amazed at "real animals" they encounter there.

Looking foward to more of your report.

It amazes me that I can spend thousands on a WDW trip and my kids rather look for wildlife than go on ride...the mini lizards, snails, tree frogs.....they get SO excited when they see them!

Your pictures of the kids with the snail cracked me up. Kids at Disney are always so amazed at "real animals" they encounter there.

Me too :) We have snails in the garden that your kiddos are welcome to come and check out anytime! (The secret to getting rid of them - beer!) I am amused too with the people fascinated by the ducks and the squirrels, too. But...we are enthralled with all the bunnies - so I guess we are "those" people too!!

YAY for your TR being started, I just found it and got all caught up.

OMG the trip sounds dreadful! What you went through is exactly why we decided to just suck it up and change our flight even if we had to pay, to avoid that. Of course, we would have been fine, but I was so scared of exactly that scenario. That car service driver sounds awful. Jerk. Glad at least the Hyatt staff made things easier.

I remember that Saturday storm, we had left DHS earlier than planned to go back to the CR for a swimming break and we only had 15 minutes in the pool when they closed the pool. We shopped and snacked till it was done, but it was longer than most storms.

Great update! I love the Plaza! In fact after reading your earlier update I decided that sounded like the perfect way to start a vacation. So I made a lunch ADR at the Plaza on our arrival day in January. So right after checking in at BLT we will head over to the MK for lunch! I also love how you had a parade in the rain. I love summer rain!

I was very pleased with our Plaza meal! :thumbsup2
When the rain started we pulled out the ponchos but soon realized that there was little hope in actually staying dry. :lmao:

I was way behind, but all caught up now!

Good call on taking Zachary on the little early morning airport excursion. Even better to find a Starbucks!

I am very impressed with all of the great Hilton employees who helped you out. Great bellhops who definitely went above and beyond!

"Navi-guesser!" :rotfl2:

I love your picture of the WDW entry arch!!!

A nice, but soggy start at the MK! I have never eaten at the Plaza- same reason as a PP- not a great dining plan value, but it sounds like it really fit the bill for you guys.

Yeah on Zachary's first ride on Big Thunder Mountain!!!

Looking foward to more of your report.

I have to admit that I sometimes get annoyed that I'm always the parent who gets up early with Zachary. This time I was annoyed to be awake but knew that Tom got to bed at 1:30am so I was the grown-up!
The Hyatt was an oasis in the storm. We're actually staying there pre-cruise in October and might change our January Marathon Weekend reservations to stay there one night. I can't see paying GF prices that first night when we won't arrive at the hotel until 8:30 or 9pm!
I love the Entryway arch! It tells me to relax because I'm officially at my happy place!
The Plaza is a perfect example of why I love TIW. It's a yummy and healthy meal that doesn't cost a fortune. And yet it's overlooked by those on the dining plan.
We thought that Zachary would be tall enough for the 40 inch rides but that was the moment when we were sure! :cool1:
The kids were obsessed with "wildlife" - lizards, snails, ducks, etc.

It amazes me that I can spend thousands on a WDW trip and my kids rather look for wildlife than go on ride...the mini lizards, snails, tree frogs.....they get SO excited when they see them!

Oh the lizard obsession.... It never stopped!

Me too :) We have snails in the garden that your kiddos are welcome to come and check out anytime! (The secret to getting rid of them - beer!) I am amused too with the people fascinated by the ducks and the squirrels, too. But...we are enthralled with all the bunnies - so I guess we are "those" people too!!

We have bunnies who live in our yard? Our black lab spends hours chasing them! So I guess you could come visit us in NY and we'll come down to GA! :rotfl2:

YAY for your TR being started, I just found it and got all caught up.

OMG the trip sounds dreadful! What you went through is exactly why we decided to just suck it up and change our flight even if we had to pay, to avoid that. Of course, we would have been fine, but I was so scared of exactly that scenario. That car service driver sounds awful. Jerk. Glad at least the Hyatt staff made things easier.

I remember that Saturday storm, we had left DHS earlier than planned to go back to the CR for a swimming break and we only had 15 minutes in the pool when they closed the pool. We shopped and snacked till it was done, but it was longer than most storms.

Our trip down was misery but we were glad to escape NY!
With the Saturday storm we could have waited in the queue for Big Thunder but the kids were getting antsy. I don't mind getting soaked as long as I know I can change into dry clothes soon!

Amanda

After our adventures with the thunderstorm and the snail, we headed over to the main building of the Contemporary to see if our room was finally ready. It was about 3:30pm. I had given them my cell number for a text message but hadn't yet received anything. I knew there was a chance that our room still wasn't ready but we were wet and tired and ready for a break. I waited in line (the man directing traffic at the check-in desk wasn't terribly nice) and had a lovely Australian girl help me.
Our room was ready (who knows since when - she said the CM who originally checked me in forgot to check the box for a text message :rolleyes: - this is the 2nd trip in a row where I didn't get notified when my room was ready). She told me she needed to print out new room keys for me because the ones I was given weren't working. I waited for that and then we took the elevator up to the 4th floor and took the bridge across to BLT.
Our room was on the 14th floor so they met my request. We were facing South and actually had a great sky-view of Epcot. From the balcony we could watch the monorails go through the Contemporary. I had secretly been hoping for one the of Lake View rooms with a secret MK view (the North side of the building) but this ended up being lovely. One of the fabulous things about BLT is that the one bedrooms have 2 full bathrooms!

Dark pics...

ry%3D400

Front bathroom

ry%3D400

tub/shower in front bathroom

ry%3D400

dining table with pics of Space Mountain

ry%3D400

living room before we opened the various beds

ry%3D400

kitchen

ry%3D400

sink area of master bath

ry%3D400

He Be a Pirate Gift basket

ry%3D400

Epcot view

ry%3D400

View of pool at Contemporary (this is the main pool not the BLT pool)

ry%3D400

View of monorail

ry%3D400

View of GF when monorail isn't blocking it!

ry%3D400

Pirates!

ry%3D400

yes, the pirate hat came with the basket

ry%3D400

towel fish waiting in our bathroom

The only pic of the master bedroom was too dark to be useful. There was only one balcony with a door to the living room and a door to the master bedroom

My kids thought this room was awesome. They liked it better than our room at BCV from last summer. It was hard to get them to rank their favorite hotels at Disney. They definitely like SAB (and BC is probably my DH's favorite). I loved BLT. The location was awesome, the room was nice, the views were lovely. We all like Poly. It's really hard to have a favorite!!!

Amanda

I love your view! I actually prefer the lake view at BLT to the MK view. The MK view has too much parking lot. Sure it is great for the fireworks, but that is only 15 minutes a day. The lake view, on the other hand, is so relaxing all day. Plus you get to see the water parade. Did you catch that this trip?

YAY for getting into your room when you were ready to. Nay on them not letting you know. I was scanning that picture of the pool to see if we were in it, we were there so much! LOL I wouldn't have been surprised to see us. Was thinking that might have been DH talking to a guy in the pool, but not sure. I don't see me or the kids. Looks like this was right after the storm so we were probably back in the room changing to go back to the pool.

On second thought, there is someone in a white cover up by the chair under that tree where we sat the first couple of days, that could be me and I see two kids in the pool, one on the steps and one at the bottom of the slide. It very well could be us. LOL

Wow, your room is gorgeous! I'm not surprised BLT is almost completely sold out for DVC!

OMG- your views are incredible! I didn't know you could see EPCOT from the BLT!!! If I'm recalling correctly, didn't you have a view of the golf ball from your BCV room? I'll stay tuned to see if you are able to view Illuminations from your balcony.

Great gift basket for Tom! I love the kids (big and small) all trying to be pirates!

But the picture I am really focusing in on is the one below.

We are remodeling our master bathroom. When I saw your pictures, I couldn't help but remark that we are using a similar design and colors of the little block tiles! Who knew our style was "Contemporary?"

Front bathroom

ry%3D400

tub/shower in front bathroom

IMG_7268.jpg

OK, it is not exactly a match, but I'm going with it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter