Escaping Irene: A NY family "evacuates" to Disney! *Update 7/7 WWoHP*

Thanks for sharing your trip,I just started reading it last night so I didn't have to wait to hear it all.
My wife and I have twin boys ( nine this year) and we keep saying we're going to go once without them and do the Keys tour. Glad you were able to enjoy a weekend trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip,I just started reading it last night so I didn't have to wait to hear it all.
My wife and I have twin boys ( nine this year) and we keep saying we're going to go once without them and do the Keys tour. Glad you were able to enjoy a weekend trip.

Thank you Jeff! And Welcome!!!
I love traveling to Disney with just my DH. It's a totally different but wonderful experience. I think Tom would say it's a better experience. :rotfl: I just think it's different.

Amanda

I'm supposed to be working on a PowerPoint presentation right now but I'm taking a little break. This will be an introduction to my next section of this trip report. I'll save more of the trip report for when I have a little more time and can add the details.

I am a HUGE fan of Harry Potter. I started the series when there were only 3 books. From book 4 on to the end, I purchased each book the day it came out and read the book in the entirety on that very same day. I just love the stories. I've seen all of the movies (almost all in the theaters and almost all opening weekend).
I'm such a big fan that I actually got a ticket to the World Premiere of Harry Potter 7, Part 1. My brother is a big media executive in London and had 2 tickets. His very pregnant wife is not a Harry Potter fan and was thrilled that I would take her place so she didn't have to go. I actually flew to London and spent a wonderful 4 day weekend in order to attend the premiere. I walked down the red carpet and everything!!!!
I'm also (obviously) a huge Disney fan and have become very addicted to various Disney podcasts, including the podcast that is affiliated with the DISboards. When John (of podcast fame) announced that the December podcast event was going to be a private party at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I flipped out. I really, really wanted to attend. I also knew that the event was taking place during a very bad weekend.
Problem #1: My wedding anniversary is December 9th. The event was on December 10th.
Problem #2: My senior partner at work has a timeshare in St. Maarten during the 2nd week of December and would almost definitely be away. Meaning that I would have to stay behind and cover the hospital.

I asked my DH if he wanted to attend the event but he had no interest. After much negotiating he agreed that we could go out to dinner on our anniversary and I could fly down on Saturday morning. Provided that I didn't have to be on call.
I talked to my senior partner. He was totally cool about me going. "Don't worry. We'll find someone to cover that weekend. Go. Have fun! What a great opportunity."
So I booked the event. I was able to get "free" airfare on JetBlue using miles. I booked one night at the Hard Rock Hotel. And purchased my ticket to the event.
And then, of course, LIFE happened. As my faithful readers may recall my eldest son spent a rocky 2 weeks in the hospital this fall. Which led to the cruise being cancelled and our wonderful weekend at Disney World. I was afraid that my son would do poorly with me away. I sent a frantic email to John (of Podcast fame) asking if I could purchase a ticket for my child. I wrote about his hospitalization and how I wanted to surprise him. John totally hooked me up! And then I tried to book a plane ticket on JetBlue. I ended up having to call so they could link our reservations together. Otherwise he would be flying as a solo minor. The woman at JetBlue was awesome and didn't charge me the fee for booking over the phone. She got us seats together on the plane and was lovely about it. His ticket cost quite a lot. :scared1: I also added him to my Hard Rock reservation and bought both of us 2 day tickets for Universal.
I then started my obsessive research. I downloaded a brand new Universal Podcast (in fact I was the first listener to ever have a question answered on their show!). I bought a book about Universal. I hounded the ever generous Dee for advice (Thank You Dee!!!). I haunted the Universal boards. All in secret because none of my children knew about the trip.
I will admit here that my hope was really for a solo trip. I wanted to meet some of my fellow DISers and have an opportunity to do whatever I wanted. This trip turned into something very different. It was still special but was definitely NOT about me. I will get that some day.

More to come...

Amanda

Thanks for the shoutout! Glad I could be of some assistance. :goodvibes

I, too, am a huge HP fan. :wizard: I think I got into the series when the 2nd book was out. I read the 3rd book in the hospital when Ben was born. The thought occured to me that it would almost be worth it to have another baby so I could have some free uninterrupted reading time at the hospital.

Um, maybe not!

:dance3:

Our trip to Universal last summer was "Mom's trip". Selfish me. All the guys did was complain about how we weren't going to Disney. But they all loved the trip.

Who knows best?

I can't wait to hear about your trip and see the pictures!

Thanks for the shoutout! Glad I could be of some assistance. :goodvibes

I, too, am a huge HP fan. :wizard: I think I got into the series when the 2nd book was out. I read the 3rd book in the hospital when Ben was born. The thought occured to me that it would almost be worth it to have another baby so I could have some free uninterrupted reading time at the hospital.

Um, maybe not!

:dance3:

Our trip to Universal last summer was "Mom's trip". Selfish me. All the guys did was complain about how we weren't going to Disney. But they all loved the trip.

Who knows best?

I can't wait to hear about your trip and see the pictures!

Thanks Dee! You were very helpful. Except about Jaws. :rolleyes1 :lmao:
Isn't it funny how the kids complain but then have fun? I think that's universal kid behavior. :eek:

Amanda

Friday, December 9th was our 11th anniversary. Tom really wanted us to go out to dinner THAT night so I couldn't leave for Florida until Saturday morning. He made dinner reservations at a really nice (and expensive!) restaurant in NYC. I think he intentionally made our reservations for super late so I'd be extra tired on my trip! :lmao:
(Just an aside: I keep trying to type ADR instead of reservation. A sign of mental illness??? :scared1: )
We decided to take the train into NYC and walk from Grand Central to the restaurant (Ai Fiore, if anyone wants to look it up). The restaurant is on the 2nd floor of the Setai Hotel on 5th Avenue. The restaurant was beautifully decorated for the holidays and we were seated promptly. After looking over the menu and asking some questions, we decided to do a tasting menu. We explained our food likes and dislikes (Tom doesn't eat any pork, for example). We decided to order a bottle of wine instead of doing the wine pairing. The sommelier was lovely and very helpful.
One of the many things that I loved about this restaurant was the staff. This is one of the most expensive restaurants in NYC. It could be incredibly snooty. Instead it was delightful. The wait-staff spent time explaining everything and answering questions. We never felt rushed and never felt like they were talking down to us.
One of the nice things I got at dinner was a new wedding ring. A few years ago I developed a severe platinum allergy and haven't been able to wear my wedding ring (or engagement ring). We bought a gold ring with a subtle Mickey Mouse ears and 2 little diamonds on either side. It's perfect for who am I right now! My original ring is fancier but this is subtle and makes me smile. You may recall we spent a lot of time trying to buy this ring at Disney World in August and they finally had it on the Disney store website! :love: I know it may sound cheezy to have a Mickey Mouse wedding band but it's great for me. I can't wear rings in the OR and big rings are a disaster in the office when seeing patients. This is thin and not bulky. And it helps me remember the wonderful family memories we are making together at Disney World.
As with most tasting menus, dinner was a long process. Everything was delicious (except the sardines - I still don't care for sardines). The wine was wonderful. And we finally waddled our way back to Grand Central and took the train back home. We probably got home close to midnight and my alarm was set for 4:30am...

Amanda

A wonderful anniversary meal and a Mickey Mouse ring.

Not a bad way to start your trip. Except for that early morning wake up call.

I :love::love::love: that you have a Mickey Mouse wedding band! I want one! Do you have pics??? The anniversary dinner sounds DELIGHTFUL and fun...but I must admit. I LOVE HP!!! I can't wait! What an incredible experience! I AM the original Harry Potter fan, I read the book before anyone had ever even heard of it. I got it for Christian for his BD one year and debated if I wanted to spend that much money on it (It was 12.95 though scholastic books). I am certain Christian had the first Halloween costume, because I made it from the picture on the front of the book. Nobody had heard of HP at that point in time, so we had to tell everyone he was a character from a book. They thought I was nuts (well, I AM, but not because of that)!

A wonderful anniversary meal and a Mickey Mouse ring.

Not a bad way to start your trip. Except for that early morning wake up call.

Very early morning! But totally worth it. :love:

I :love::love::love: that you have a Mickey Mouse wedding band! I want one! Do you have pics??? The anniversary dinner sounds DELIGHTFUL and fun...but I must admit. I LOVE HP!!! I can't wait! What an incredible experience! I AM the original Harry Potter fan, I read the book before anyone had ever even heard of it. I got it for Christian for his BD one year and debated if I wanted to spend that much money on it (It was 12.95 though scholastic books). I am certain Christian had the first Halloween costume, because I made it from the picture on the front of the book. Nobody had heard of HP at that point in time, so we had to tell everyone he was a character from a book. They thought I was nuts (well, I AM, but not because of that)!

I will try to post the picture of the ring from the Disney Store website. I'm sometimes a bit technologically challenged!
So awesome that you're a big HP fan, too!!!

Yes, yes, pics!!! I have never seen a mickey ring, it sounds right up my alley! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear more...

My ring is awesome!

Yes, pictures, pictures!!

Looking forward to reading all the details about this trip :thumbsup2

Thank you!!!!

Amanda

ry%3D400

So here's the magical ring. It's fairly thin and smaller than it looks in the picture but lovely. And it's exactly what I wanted! :love:

Amanda

Your anniversary dinner sounds amazing! Tut tut to Tom keeping you up late the night before your trip lol:rotfl2:
Love the ring:). So nice that something you wear every day brings aa smile to your face with all the great memories it stirs up:thumbsup2

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it! Thanks for posting it.

I Found the Link.

Thank you!

Your anniversary dinner sounds amazing! Tut tut to Tom keeping you up late the night before your trip lol:rotfl2:
Love the ring:). So nice that something you wear every day brings aa smile to your face with all the great memories it stirs up:thumbsup2

That's exactly how I feel. I get to look at the ring and think about all of our great family experiences.

Love the ring! Good job Tom.

Thanks! Tom doesn't get too much credit... :rolleyes1 I found the ring and he just did the check-out online...

Amanda

After not much sleep following a lovely Anniversary Dinner, I was up bright and early on Saturday morning. I had pretty much packed everything for both Nathaniel and me, including have travel clothes ready for him. I had purchased shirts for both of us. His said on the front, "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good" and on the back "Mischief Managed." Mine just said, "Mischief Managed" on the front (I couldn't find his shirt in a women's cut shirt in my size and I liked his better). For those who are unfamiliar with Harry Potter, this is from the Marauder's Map - a map that shows where people are located within Hogwart's Castle. The way to activate the map is to tap it with your wand and say, "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good." In order to turn off the map you say, "Mischief Managed."
I took my shower, dressed in my shirt (and some pants and other appropriate clothing items ;) ), and finished my last minute packing. I then went into Nathaniel's room to wake him up. I shook him a bit and announced that he needed to get dressed because we had a plane to catch. He gave me this weird look so I said, "You need to get dressed. We're going to Florida." He said, "Are you serious?" I said, "Yes. You and I are going to Florida. You need to get up and get dressed so we can catch our plane."
It was one of those precious moments as a parent. He was in a state of disbelief and excitement. We got him dressed in his new shirt and grabbed some breakfast items. My nanny arrived shortly thereafter and took us to our local airport.

ry%3D400

Waiting at our airport.

Our flight was wonderful. There was a very gay but super fantastic flight attendant named Matthew who liked us a lot. He brought us free snack boxes (JetBlue usually sells them for a few dollars), extra drinks, extra snacks, and even pillow and blanket kits. He packed a "goody bag" for me before we landed. Really great flight! Nathaniel was a bit wound up and super excited.

When we landed in Orlando the driver from FL Tours was waiting for us. We didn't have any checked bags so we hopped in his car and headed to Universal Studios.

ry%3D400

In the car service car heading to the resort.

The driver gave us a bit of a guided tour as we headed over to Universal.

ry%3D400

A bit distant but this is the entrance to Universal!

We were booked at the Hard Rock Hotel. Our room wasn't ready yet so we left our bags with bell services and decided to head over to Universal Studios to go on some rides.
I had pre-purchased park tickets but, unlike Disney, these weren't on our room key. Nor did they give us park tickets when we checked into the hotel. Nor we were told what to do. We walked over to Universal Studios, stopping to visit the butterfly garden on the property of Hard Rock.

ry%3D400

(And obviously eating a very healthy snack... :rolleyes1 )

It took a few minutes to figure out the deal with our tickets. We basically had to wait in a relatively long ticket purchase line. A not-terribly-nice woman was able to print out our tickets and we were able to enter the park. I had purchased a book on Universal and started following their touring plan. Unfortunately Nathaniel was about a 1/4 inch too short for Mummy (which meant that he was too short for Forbidden Journey, too). So the first ride he could go on was Jaws.

I knew that this would be our one and only chance to ride Jaws because, well, Jaws no longer exists. I had queried everyone I knew about the "wetness" of Jaws and was reassured that Jaws was NOT a wet ride. Unfortunately Nathaniel and I had tremendous bad luck because we not only got wet, we were completely and totally soaked! :scared1: On a hot summer day this would be delightful. On a day where the temps were low 70's and we were wearing long pants.... Not so much. Nathaniel was miserable and I knew we'd have to find dry clothes. It took a while to find a shop selling bottoms that would fit us but we finally succeeded. Nathaniel was very, very grumpy about getting so wet but cheered up considerably once we were dry. Needless to say this wasted a good portion of time.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It's probably hard to see but we are both drenched in the above pictures!

The other issue with having to shop for clothes - already - is that I had intentionally brought a belt pack so we wouldn't need to use the lockers. Now I had to drag a bag of wet clothes all over the park and use lockers for every ride...

Amanda

:rolleyes1:blush:

Thanks for not naming names or assigning blame!

Wow! Nathaniel looks really mature in the airport pictures.

What a great shirt. Must get this for Ben!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter