Escape from the Country Bear Jamboree

Thursday - 6/18/2015

Work Out: FIRST DAY OF WEIGHT LIFTING, 20 minute walk with dog

Today was the first day of weight lifting and I can barely move my arms to type this...but it felt awesome! My work out buddy can only do evenings, so it was later than I usually like to work out, but the plus side is I didn't sit at home snacking until bedtime. My only "bummer of a moment" today was getting a cookie from starbucks. It was delicious, but afterwards I knew I didn't really need to get it.

I think the challenge will be the upcoming weekend in terms of not absent mindlessly eating while watching a movie or tv. I think the dog is going to get lots of extra walks this weekend. :)

Good luck on your adventure into healthy eating and movement. I'm on a similar path in trying to get myself more active.
I am a snack while couch&tv&bored person big-time! But weirdly when I'm super tired from jogging at night and I'm on the couch I literally do not want to get up and walk to the kitchen to get a snack because I am pooped out. So that has weirdly helped me. Being too tired to physically get myself to the food!

Good luck on your adventure into healthy eating and movement. I'm on a similar path in trying to get myself more active.
I am a snack while couch&tv&bored person big-time! But weirdly when I'm super tired from jogging at night and I'm on the couch I literally do not want to get up and walk to the kitchen to get a snack because I am pooped out. So that has weirdly helped me. Being too tired to physically get myself to the food!

Thanks! Good luck to you too! That's definitely a way to avoid late night snacking!

Friday - 6/19/2015

Work Out: 20 minute walk with dog

My original plan for today was to finish the last day of C25K, but I woke up totally feeling last night's weight lifting, so I decided to finish it up tomorrow and have an off day. Yay for my arms hurting every time I move. ;-) Only kidding, but just sort of.

I'm also a little bit nervous about Sunday being the first "weigh-in" of this whole thing. I'm just going to be SOOOOOOOO bummed if there's no weight loss!

Saturday - 6/20/2015

Work Out: Week 1 Day 3 of C25K - and overall not too bad of a distance for week 1!

c25k.jpg

Well, one week of couch to 5k down! Also got one day of weight lifting in this week! I'm excited and also really nervous for tomorrow since it marks one week of starting all this "trying to be healthy" business. I'm hoping at least something shows on the scales. I've tried really hard to not constantly weigh myself, and tomorrow will be the first time since last Sunday.

Overall today was really good in terms of not snacking and keeping busy. I also did not go out to eat at all so far this weekend, which is totally new for me. I just really love me some take out, and I live near lots of delivery places. I went to the park six times today with my dog, so she is currently sleeping next to me as I type this. The vet said she should lose two pounds, so I guess it's really good for both of us. :)

Weight update tomorrow as well as some longer reflections and thoughts on week 1!

Sunday - 6/21/2015

Starting Weight: 324.2 lbs
Current Weight: 318.4 lbs
Sunday Check-In: -5.8 lbs
Total Loss: 5.8 lbs

Days to Disney: 87 Days

Progress toward first goal: 38% (Goal of 15 lbs by Disney trip)

Exciting results for today and way better than I was expecting! I think that overall things went well this week. I got in four days of exercise, didn't have any soda, and ate substantially less sweet/dessert type things. I do think that I could do better with cutting back on desserts though. My biggest slip up was going to a new cafe/bakery for lunch with coworkers. That experience resulted in two cake truffles and a cupcake, all of which were totally delicious, but definitely not necessary. I think that what I really appreciate is that I feel better. I can already tell a difference in how my body feels with eating less junk this week and eating more fruits and vegetables. I actually also think I'm sleeping better, which is awesome (and I'm sure part of that is also from the actual exercising).

For next week my goals are to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in terms of the proportion of fruits/veggies to meats and carbs at each meal. I feel good about this past week with making sure there was more healthy components of each meal, but now I want to reduce the other stuff and increase fruits and vegetables. I'm so glad I live near a Trader Joe's! The produce section there is awesome!

On to week 2! This week will be interesting because I'm going to a conference at the end of the week. Working in higher ed means that every conference, program, or meeting is full of food, and just traveling can make choosing healthier food options tougher.

But one day at a time I guess!

Yay, great job Marshall!! :yay:

We have a Trader Joe's near us too - love them! They have great stuff.

Good luck at your conference - travel is tough for sure when you are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. I'm sure you'll do great! :)

Yay, great job Marshall!! :yay:

We have a Trader Joe's near us too - love them! They have great stuff.

Good luck at your conference - travel is tough for sure when you are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. I'm sure you'll do great! :)

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to try to pack some healthy snacks for the conference and then just try to muster up some good ol' fashioned will power at restaurants. I'm also going to pack gym clothes to do some working out at the hotel gym.

Monday - 6/22/2015
Work Out:
Couch to 5k Week 2 Day 1, 20 minute walk with dog

Good start to the week, although week 2 of C25K feels waaaayyyyy harder!

I think an easy food adjustment for this week is to be more conscious about the amount of water I'm drinking. Last week was good in eliminating high calorie drinks. This week I want to drink 10 travel mugs full of water throughout the day and evening (16oz travel mug). I also bought natural peanut butter (no sugar or added oils or anything) as a better source of quick protein. This morning's breakfast was a toasted english muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter and cut up strawberries. It was awesome!

My biggest aha moment with my C25k was that I did not need to go "really fast" during the 1min or 2min jog intervals. That it was ok to keep the pace comfortable and slower. By the time I was up to the longer intervals I was more in shape to handle running a little bit faster.

I hope that made sense.

Also, great progress!!!! Good luck at your conference.

Sunday - 6/21/2015

Starting Weight: 324.2 lbs
Current Weight: 318.4 lbs
Sunday Check-In: -5.8 lbs
Total Loss: 5.8 lbs

Days to Disney: 87 Days
Progress toward first goal: 38% (Goal of 15 lbs by Disney trip)

Exciting results for today and way better than I was expecting! I think that overall things went well this week. I got in four days of exercise, didn't have any soda, and ate substantially less sweet/dessert type things. I do think that I could do better with cutting back on desserts though. My biggest slip up was going to a new cafe/bakery for lunch with coworkers. That experience resulted in two cake truffles and a cupcake, all of which were totally delicious, but definitely not necessary. I think that what I really appreciate is that I feel better. I can already tell a difference in how my body feels with eating less junk this week and eating more fruits and vegetables. I actually also think I'm sleeping better, which is awesome (and I'm sure part of that is also from the actual exercising).

For next week my goals are to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in terms of the proportion of fruits/veggies to meats and carbs at each meal. I feel good about this past week with making sure there was more healthy components of each meal, but now I want to reduce the other stuff and increase fruits and vegetables. I'm so glad I live near a Trader Joe's! The produce section there is awesome!

On to week 2! This week will be interesting because I'm going to a conference at the end of the week. Working in higher ed means that every conference, program, or meeting is full of food, and just traveling can make choosing healthier food options tougher.

But one day at a time I guess!

Way to go Marshall!! Keep up the good work and don't be too hard on yourself when you slip up....you are human after all!

My biggest aha moment with my C25k was that I did not need to go "really fast" during the 1min or 2min jog intervals. That it was ok to keep the pace comfortable and slower. By the time I was up to the longer intervals I was more in shape to handle running a little bit faster.

I hope that made sense.

Also, great progress!!!! Good luck at your conference.

Thanks, that makes total sense!!!! I'm also using the Map My Run app to keep track of pace, and I don't have a pace goal but am just trying to stay consistent right now, even though it is way more on the slow side. :)

Way to go Marshall!! Keep up the good work and don't be too hard on yourself when you slip up....you are human after all!

THANKS!!!!!! I'm trying not to just throw the towel in for the entire day when one mistake is made.

Tuesday - 6/23/2015

Work Out: 20 minute walk with the dog

So, not the best day ever in terms of healthy eating. There was a retirement party at work with TONS of appetizers and goodies. Not as bad as it could have been, but definitely not the best. I guess I'll allow myself to be human and will just try to work it all off during tomorrow's run, lol.

That's the spirit Marshall! You are doing so good, keep it up! We're pulling for ya!

Thursday - 6/25/2015
Work Out: 20 minute walk with dog

So, today was a travel day to my conference. To be totally honest I did not make the best decisions at dinner, but passed on dessert so I guess that's something, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter