Escape from Real Life to Paradise: A New Trip with New Memories - Completed 4/3

Sunday, June 29 - Part 5 - What do you Want for Dinner?

So, we had just finished riding Big Thunder and Splash Mountain when DW and I had the conversation we so often have where I ask what DW wants, she says whatever I want, and then each idea I throw out there she makes and ugly face as if to say "that doesn't sound good!" After a few options we decided on just going to Pecos Bills. DW had decided she wasn't really hungry and would grab something later, but we did order the kids turkey sandwich for DS.

IMG_1434_zps18f75f81.jpg

I enjoyed my awesome Taco Salad! I am hearing rumors it is gone from the menu, but I will not accept it! It was wonderful as always.

IMG_1435_zps30f94d24.jpg

After dinner DW still had her FP+ for Big Thunder so she went ahead and rode. While she was gone DS had a problem with his elbow that he had to show me.

IMG_1437_zpse677e33a.jpg

We then headed over and Pirates of the Caribbean was just a 5 minute wait. We took some pictures as we went through the line.

IMG_1438_zps79afe963.jpg

DS liked the ride except for the drop. He didn't love that one part, but after it was over he seemed to enjoy all of the stuff to look at. He and I had some fun trying on the pirate hats in the gift shop.

IMG_1340_zps2fe25bdb.jpg

IMG_1338_zps77b72a14.jpg

I then had another Citrus Swirl! Heaven in a glass is all I have to say. We then headed towards Fantasyland to ride the carousel. On the way DW through of something she did want to eat and while DS and I did the carousel she ran to the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. Yes, she was having ice cream for dinner. DW got back by our 2nd ride and took some carousel pictures.

IMG_1439_zpsb4fafee1.jpg

IMG_1440_zpsf1c824f7.jpg

IMG_1345_zpse5e366d6.jpg

After the carousel it was about 8:00 and we rode Under the Sea with about a 10 minute wait before heading back and doing Peter Pan with our FP+. This is a great part about the FP+ system. In the past we would have never had the opportunity to ride Peter Pan this late in the day with a small wait, but with FP+ we do have the chance. After saving Neverland we went into one of DW and I's favorites, Mickeys Philharmagic.

IMG_1443_zps3f3fc439.jpg

DS loved his glasses and he loved the show! He actually watched the entire thing with his 3D glasses on, which he had never done in an attraction before.

It was about 8:50 at this point and we found a table in Fantasyland while I bought DS some milk and got DW and I some water. We just sat in Fantasyland and people watched for about 10 minutes before making our way around the rest of the park.

Up Next: A Great Disney Ending to the Day

Last edited:
I am disappointed about the taco salad, too! I fear that the rumor is true. *sigh*

Hey - sometime you just have to get ice cream for dinner. Nothing wrong with that!

Yay for a short Pirates wait and boo for a scary drop!

Citrus Swirl? YUM!!!!!!

I am disappointed about the taco salad, too! I fear that the rumor is true. *sigh*

I know...Pecos Bills is a great dinner spot for us. We just haven't had great meals at Cosmic Rays and we love to hit Columbia Harbour House for lunch, so it is the natural dinner spot. We usually do it twice in a trip and I don't know what I will get now. I'm holding out hope it isn't true or that they bring it back!

Hey - sometime you just have to get ice cream for dinner. Nothing wrong with that!

My wife definitely agrees. She loves ice cream and what better place to have ice cream for dinner than the Magic Kingdom!

Yay for a short Pirates wait and boo for a scary drop!

I know...we felt kind of bad since he didn't like it, but he seemed to love everything after the drop.

Citrus Swirl? YUM!!!!!!

They are amazing!

Sunday, June 29 – Part 6 – A Great Disney Ending to the Day

After our quick pit stop in Fantasyland we continued clockwise around the park as it was getting close to time to head out. DW and I had our final FP+’s of the evening at Space Mountain and both rode while the other had DS at the Tomorrowland Dance party. Let me tell you, DS loves these dance parties. He will just go to town dancing as long as we kind of stay on the outer parts of the dance area. He doesn’t want to go right down in there with all of the people, but he would do it all night if we let him. Here are our Space Mountain pictures and DS dancing.

wd049wdw201418192338950_7008950204_18_zps8aa9eb3c.jpg

wd060wdw201418192335597_7008950180_18_zps4bcd9f5b.jpg

IMG_1352_zpsac055c45.jpg

After spending about 20 extra minutes dancing we started walking out at around 9:50 and got to go out the back door entrance on Main Street for the first time ever. The gate was open coming out of Tommorrowland and we gladly went that way so we could bypass the Main Street crowd. We got to the boat dock right at 10:00 as Wishes was starting. The boat was not quite there, nor was there hardly anyone waiting on the boat yet, so we stood on the dock and watched Wishes for about 5 minutes. DS was tired and didn’t want his picture taken while we were waiting. He was definitely ready for “night-night”.

IMG_1446_zps550cd59f.jpg

Then we had a magical ending to our Disney day. Wishes was still going and we got all loaded onto the boat and we made sure to grab a seat on the left hand side so we could still see the fireworks as we traveled back to Wilderness Lodge. Once the boat pulled out it was about 10:10, so Wishes was going strong and we had a fantastic view from out on the water. It was like we got our own fireworks cruise…for free! It was a great “Disney” moment.

IMG_1447_zps5588a47b.jpg

IMG_1448_zps5158aa47.jpg

IMG_1450_zps4305ca5f.jpg

IMG_1451_zpse3df77ee.jpg

IMG_1452_zps13980c1e.jpg

It was timed just perfect, by the time we got out into the middle of the lagoon we had the perfect view for the finale of the show and I looked at DW and she said, “It doesn’t get any better than this view”, and I couldn’t have agreed more. Of course, DS was enthralled by the fireworks the entire time, so it was a great boat ride.

We got back to the lodge around 10:20 and we gave DS a bath, before heading off to bed. It was a late night for us, but we were sleeping in tomorrow, so that was okay. While DW and DS were going to sleep I went to walk around a bit and fill the mug up before bed. Of course I had to have my favorite dessert at the Wilderness Lodge that I think they called a “Cookie Bar”. It is amazing. This was not the first time I had one, and I don’t think it will be the last!

IMG_1453_zps6e25256d.jpg

After my snack I headed up and got to bed. Tomorrow was a big day…mainly because the lost and found would open back up and the lodge and hopefully our bag had made its way there. I guess we will see.

Up Next: BACON! Need I Say More?

Monday, June 30 – Part 1 – BACON! Need I Say More?

After having a relatively late evening the night before we were able to sleep until past 8:00 this morning. We had a 10:15 breakfast reservation at Whispering Canyon Café, but wanted to do a little swimming first. DS had to play a little bit while we were getting ready.

IMG_1454_zps4ff21ed7.jpg

The main pool wasn’t open, despite the concierge desk telling me the night before that the main pool opens at 8:00 AM. We had to walk over to the pool at the villas, but it was fine because there wasn’t anyone there this early in the morning. We didn’t take a camera with us, but DS had a great time playing in the pool.

After a little swimming we went and got cleaned up and headed to the lobby for breakfast at Whispering Canyon Café. While we were getting the meal started DW and DS colored. Well, DW likes to color and DS likes to throw colors!

IMG_1457_zps35374190.jpg

And of course, who doesn’t love drinking out of mason jars?

IMG_1458_zps9d6a3a1d.jpg

First of all, I’ll address the food, then the atmosphere. DW and I just decided to get the skillet and since DS was under three they just let him share with us. Here is the only picture we managed of it…do you think we liked it?

IMG_1460_zpse3b0ad5f.jpg

The food was great. DW still talks about the food at Whispering Canyon and it is the only restaurant she is requiring me to get us a reservation at this summer. The biscuits and gravy were her favorite, but I could have sat there and eaten bacon all day. It was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. We ate two entire platters of food before we called it quits.

Now, as far as the atmosphere we had a great time during this meal. Our waitress, Wendi, was a hoot and did a great job. I mean she was the perfect waitress for this job. She was able to have a great time with us all the while still making us feel welcome. She had the perfect mix of antics and good service.

A funny store here is that they put a coaster on your table now when the seat you that is supposed to tell the waiter whether or not you want to “join in the fun” of the restaurant or “sit back and watch”. The “join in the fun” side is green and the “sit back and watch” side is red. Well, one of the waiters across the room during this meal wasn’t very happy when he had a table turn their coaster to red, meaning they didn’t want to get made fun of or anything like that. The waiter proceeded to yell across the restaurant at the other waiters that these people were no fun and that they need to “go back to the Grand Floridian” if they didn’t want to have any fun. It was hysterical and luckily the people took it pretty well.

I won’t tell you if we wanted to ketchup or anything like that, as everyone needs to enjoy their Whispering Canyon meal in his or her own way! Overall, this was a great breakfast, and with the lost bag and iPad still looming on our conscience it was just what we needed. We headed back from the room and about five minutes later the phone rang…

Up Next: An Important Phone Call

Monday, June 30 – Part 2 – An Important Phone Call

So we were in our room and as the phone started ringing and DW and I looked at each other and said maybe they found our bag. So I answered and it was Paulette, who was a cast member from the lost and found office. She was so nice and then she said, “I have a green bag with and iPad in it and I think it’s yours.” I think I jumped through the roof in happiness that we hadn’t lost our bag. I asked her where her office was, but she was so nice she said that she would just run it up to our room. About 5 minutes later Paulette knocked on our door and delivered the bag. What relief!

Once we were done celebrating DS fell asleep and took a really good nap. During this time it was really raining, from 11:00 until about 2:00. Our plan was to head to Epcot, so at about 2:00 we headed out. I took a picture out of the window in the hallway of the dark clouds that had just rained on us.

IMG_1461_zps47f9de49.jpg

We waited about 10 minutes at the bus stop for an Epcot bus.

IMG_1462_zpsd0c9a496.jpg

DW and DS decided to make funny faces at each other again on the bus. These kind of pictures are my favorite of the trip.

IMG_1463_zps55afb094.jpg

We arrived at Epcot at around 2:35 and DW headed straight to Test Track to use her FP. After she had gotten through most of the line and had her band scanned twice they announced the ride was going to be down momentarily. She called me and said she would leave and come back, but we didn’t know how that would work as her band had already been scanned twice, so they probably would think that she had ridden the ride. I told her to wait in line a minute. DS and I were in Innoventions so we went to the My Magic+ Service Center and a great cast member there went into my account and added a FP+ for DW for Test Track for later in the day as it did in fact show that she had already done the ride. It was good to hear they are being understanding of these issues as we are still in the learning process for FP+.

After DW came out we headed over to ride Spaceship Earth. DS wanted to ride with me, and we made an attempt at a selfie, but it didn’t work too well.

IMG_1465_zpsb4302767.jpg

And of course DS and I got a look into our future.

IMG_1466_zpsf79aeace.jpg

IMG_1468_zpsc30514cc.jpg

Up Next: NO! I Want to See Nemo

Monday, June 30 – Part 3 – NO! I Want to See Nemo

After we finished with Spaceship Earth we made a stop in one of our favorite places; Club Cool. DW was very sad the Germany flavor was gone from previous trips, as that was her favorite. The new flavor of Fanta from Thailand was enjoyable though. I do find the new trend they have to change up the flavors to be kind of neat so it is not the same every time.

Next we headed over to ride a favorite of DS; Journey into Imagination. On the way in DS and I had to take a picture with my favorite Disney Scientist.

IMG_1473_zpsd1008281.jpg

I usually show Flubber to my Chemistry class as we near the end of the school year just for a little bit of fun, so I always enjoy this picture and Dr. Brainard’s Door in the queue! DS loved the ride as he usually does and he was dancing in the seat everytime the song came on. After the ride we spent a few minutes playing in the Imageworks area. There are still some things in here that are pretty neat for a two year old, so DS enjoyed playing on the musical squares.

IMG_1474_zps0ba8e853.jpg

IMG_1476_zpsaa3abdb0.jpg

After Imagination we headed over to the Seas Pavilion at around 4:30. We rode the ride first with a FP, but didn’t need it at all as it was walk on. After riding we spent about 30 minutes exploring The Seas. DS, having just come off of the ride, was looking for Nemo in all of the fish tanks. It was pretty cute.

Looking for Nemo:

IMG_1478_zps08e43c53.jpg

IMG_1360_zpsd9aa0810.jpg

We found a stingray, but still no Nemo.

IMG_1479_zps6b63871e.jpg

DS still searching for Nemo:

IMG_1480_zps0706eb8b.jpg

Finally, DS found Nemo…a lot of Nemo’s!

IMG_1481_zps862ef17b.jpg

And then after finding Nemo he naturally wanted to crawl up the side of the tank. Go figure.

IMG_1482_zps563f43c4.jpg

Our last stop in Future World was the Land pavilion as we had a Soarin’ FP to use. It was about 5:00 when we got there and let me just say FP+ is so nice. We got to ride Soarin’ without getting to the park at rope drop, which just wouldn’t have happened without a 60 minute or more wait before FP+ came about. Our Soarin’ FP wasn’t until 5:15, so we rode Living with the Land first. I always love the fishery, I don’t know why, but I do.

IMG_1484_zpsfd9aac49.jpg

Some other pictures from the Land.

IMG_1487_zps6130b376.jpg

IMG_1488_zps65ec3885.jpg

We got off about 5:15 and it was time for Soarin’!

Up Next: Dinner Around the World Showcase

Oh Yikes!

I was reading your TR the other day and I must have gotten interrupted before I got a chance to comment. Doh!

And now I am more updates behind.

I promise to get caught up properly tonight. Yours was the last one I was going to look at tonight, but I need a fresher brain to pick up on all I've missed.

I did notice some super adorable mom/son pictures!

I'll be back! :wave2:

OK - I'm half asleep but I'm caught up.

Let's see if I can remember what I wanted to say.

Great Space Mountain Pics!

Love that you guys got to see so much of the fireworks from Bay Lake. It really doesn't get any better than that.

I ate breakfast at WCC for the first time in October - It was really good and our waiter was excellent and hysterical. I do like that red/green idea. Smart.

YAYAYAYAYAYAY for finding the iPad! :cool1::cool1::cool1: That really is something to celebrate about.

The best thing about FP+ is enjoying a leisurely morning and still getting to ride the rides you want.

Fun updates!

Jon, I was sent over here by my very good DIS friend, Mary Ellen (MEK here on the DIS). I've read your introductions and will come back tomorrow to try and catch up to be up to speed. I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures.

Okay, I'm back. I read all of your updates (I skipped the chatter between). Obviously, I am WAY too far behind to comment on everything, but here are a few thoughts.

I love your cruise pictures. The food looks good, love the "animals" they made on your bed and I just want to go to Castaway Cay now. We've never been on a cruise and really have no desire, but I really want to go to Castaway Cay.

Great time getting off the ship and then getting to DW.

I LOVE all of your photopass pictures and ride pictures...they are great.

I'm sorry you didn't like Yak & Yeti. It is one of our favorites. It's funny how everyone has different experiences (you couldn't pay me to go back to Ohana for instance...worse meal along with Whispering Canyon dinner we've ever had...got sick at both meals).

I'm glad your bag was found.

Your son is adorable.

Okay...I should be able to stay caught up now (especially since I'm almost finished with my TR). I'm glad MEK sent me over here...loving your report.

Oh Yikes!

I was reading your TR the other day and I must have gotten interrupted before I got a chance to comment. Doh!

And now I am more updates behind.

I promise to get caught up properly tonight. Yours was the last one I was going to look at tonight, but I need a fresher brain to pick up on all I've missed.

I did notice some super adorable mom/son pictures!

I'll be back! :wave2:

Those pics are great! Definitely my favorites of my two favorite people!

OK - I'm half asleep but I'm caught up.

Let's see if I can remember what I wanted to say.

Great Space Mountain Pics!

Thanks...ride pics are never anything we bought in the past, but they are a really nice inclusion into Memory Maker now.

Love that you guys got to see so much of the fireworks from Bay Lake. It really doesn't get any better than that.

It was perfect timing! And a really great view of the show too.

I ate breakfast at WCC for the first time in October - It was really good and our waiter was excellent and hysterical. I do like that red/green idea. Smart.

Yes, I didn't know about the red and green card, but we put it on green...why not! We had fun though, but I won't give away the secrets!

YAYAYAYAYAYAY for finding the iPad! :cool1::cool1::cool1: That really is something to celebrate about.

We were so relieved...and there is no better place to celebrate than Disney World!

The best thing about FP+ is enjoying a leisurely morning and still getting to ride the rides you want.

Fun updates!

Love FP+ for this very reason!

Jon, I was sent over here by my very good DIS friend, Mary Ellen (MEK here on the DIS). I've read your introductions and will come back tomorrow to try and catch up to be up to speed. I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures.

Thanks for coming over!

Okay, I'm back. I read all of your updates (I skipped the chatter between). Obviously, I am WAY too far behind to comment on everything, but here are a few thoughts.

I love your cruise pictures. The food looks good, love the "animals" they made on your bed and I just want to go to Castaway Cay now. We've never been on a cruise and really have no desire, but I really want to go to Castaway Cay.

We loved the entire cruise, especially the "Disney" touches such as the towel animals that the staff went out of their way to do for us.

Great time getting off the ship and then getting to DW.

I LOVE all of your photopass pictures and ride pictures...they are great.

So exciting getting off the ship and knowing we still have a week at Disney World.

I'm sorry you didn't like Yak & Yeti. It is one of our favorites. It's funny how everyone has different experiences (you couldn't pay me to go back to Ohana for instance...worse meal along with Whispering Canyon dinner we've ever had...got sick at both meals).

I have heard that a lot of people love Yak & Yeti. We will probably try it again, but maybe not for a couple of trips. It is certainly possible to have a bad day by them and hopefully we get a chance to let them redeem themselves!

I'm glad your bag was found.

So relieved!

Your son is adorable.

Thanks...he is awesome!

Okay...I should be able to stay caught up now (especially since I'm almost finished with my TR). I'm glad MEK sent me over here...loving your report.

Glad you were sent over hear. Very glad to have you!

Monday, June 30 – Part 4 – Dinner Around the World Showcase

We finished Living with the Land and while DW went to take her ride on Soarin’ DS and I got a snack at Sunshine Seasons, the Fruit and Cheese Plate:

IMG_1489_zps9a16f021.jpg

It was a nice snack and DS loved all of the cheese and grapes. The Land is such a cool building!

IMG_1491_zpsa5356669.jpg

After DW got back I took my ride while DS sat and watched Mickey Mouse on DW’s phone. That Disney Junior App is a lifesaver. We next headed off to have dinner around the World Showcase. Our first stop was Yorkshire Fish Shop in the UK, and the fish and chips were excellent as usual. We just got one order to share.

IMG_1492_zps19eb5d82.jpg

A shot across the lagoon as we ate on the little seating area outside of the fish shop.

IMG_1493_zps5bcc2d75.jpg

Next we headed back to France to the bakery, I’m not even going to attempt the name of this place, for some more snacks. We decided to split the Quiche Lorraine for the other part of our dinner and it was really good. Of course I forgot a picture until we had already taken a few bites.

IMG_1495_zps824035a4.jpg

We also got some dessert here with the Crème Brulee and the Napoleon.

IMG_1494_zpse620ad34.jpg

The Crème Brulee was good, but for some reason it was not served warm and I think it would have been better that way. Also, the Napoleon is still really good, but not quite the same as it was before this place was renovated. After this we continued on and explored France and Morocco a little bit before continuing our World Showcase tour.

Up Next: What Kind of Tasty Treat is That?

The perfect picture to warm me up on a freezing cold winter day! Ahhhhhhhh!

Fish & Chips is still on my Disney bucket list. I have had them TS at R&C, but I have never ordered from the counter service. Maybe I can cross that off my list next trip! :thumbsup2

The perfect picture to warm me up on a freezing cold winter day! Ahhhhhhhh!

Fish & Chips is still on my Disney bucket list. I have had them TS at R&C, but I have never ordered from the counter service. Maybe I can cross that off my list next trip! :thumbsup2

Glad I could warm up up! And I would definitely recommend the fish & chips from the counter service. We've gotten them several times and they are always consistently good. Hope you have a great week!

For rides like Soarin' and Toy Story Midway Mania, FP+ really is nice ... to not stress about getting there early and being in the "running of the bulls" to get a paper FP- for it and just know you have your top choice headliner for that day set is really nice. Not a perfect system, but that is a really big positive to it from my standpoint

love all the food options in World Showcase - gets amplified during F&WF - but even without it there are so many options. Great to share a number of items rather than filling up at one spot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter