Ergo baby carrier-Experiences??

welovedisney7778

Mouseketeer
We just had our second child, and have no experience with carriers at all. I received an Infantino one as a gift, but read some scary things about it being dangerous to the babys spine and hips. I've seen the Ergo mentioned quite a bit, and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experiences with it before I spend the money on it. I wouldn't use it every day, but it would be handy since I have a 4 year old as well, and I'll definitley want a carrier for our upcoming disney trip. Also, you have to buy a separate infant insert-anyone have any experience with that? Is it really comfortable for an infant?
Thanks in advance!!!

I have a 6 week old right now. She is my third child so she is being "worn" more than my other two were. I am a nature educator, and can take my little one to work with me, so she's all ready been trail tested! :hippie:

She spends a lot of time in a sling- I have an Ergo carrier with the infant insert. It's a GREAT carrier and I love it- but I honestly think it's too bulky for a newborn. I have carried a co-worker's child (18 months old) around in the Ergo for hikes before. It carries very well and you hardly feel the weight. It's comfy. I have used it only twice with my new baby though. It's just too much bulk for such a tiny load.

The infant insert allows you to carry the baby with their legs to one side. I agree that it's not good to have those little legs dangling out! So if you use the Ergo with your little one- definitely spring for the insert piece.

I prefer a pouch or ring sling with my baby for now. It's so much less bulk, no buckles or adjustments. I have a Hotslings pouch that fits very well. I just slip it on and pop the baby inside. She rides close to me and it feels just like I'm wearing a stretchy t-shirt. Very comfortable.

When she grows I'll go back to the Ergo I'm sure.

I plan on bringing two Hotslings to WDW next month, in case of spit up messes I need a spare. I am also bringing the Ergo in case I find I need a different type of carrier to avoid back pain. But I don't anticipate needing it. We'll see!

-Sarah

we have one took it for our first trip to Disney LOVE IT!! worth every cent was able to go on almost all the rides at Magic Kingdom.

4 babies, 2 Ergos, multiple slings, and a few Becos... LOVE THEM!

I can carry a newborn, swaddled in an Ergo, turn around and throw a 4 or 5 year old in it! It is soooo versatile, and so well balanced.

You might want to consider a Hot sling- pool sling, with SPF fabric, and can be worn in the pool and shower, too. We love those at our house. All the kiddos have been to the ocean(s), pools, and all the WDW water parks in them. It is so nice to keep them close, shaded, and with the rest of the family.

Totally recc the Ergo, and the insert is nice. But, in a pinch, it is very easy to swaddle the baby, and plop them right in. So easy to nurse in, or let them sleep, (they have the added bonus of a built in head cover, which is fabulous)

Have a great trip!

I love wearing my baby and have quite a few different carriers. I definitely prefer my SSC's for when they're older, but before about 8 months they generally live in a pouch or wrap (not a fan of MT's or ring slings).

I had my Ergo for a few years and loved it! However, about 9 months ago I sold it for a Beco and I admit, I really prefer the Beco. I have a comparison with pics that I wrote up for a friend if you're interested. But they are both awesome carriers and totally worth the money IMO. However, if you're a seamstress to any degree, I also have a friend who drew up a great pattern and instructions for making your own SSC and if you can find the materials at a good price you could make one pretty cheap!

You can also make the infant insert, or even us a receiving blanket with the ends rolled.

eta- I agree with looking for a solarveil sling for down there! They have UV protection and can be used as a water sling (and are fast drying). I've had solarveil pouches and wraps and LOVED them. They're harder to find though now that they've discontinued making solarveil, but if you can get your hands on one I think you'd really like it. I take my solarveil pouch EVERYWHERE in addition to my other carriers. I loved my pouch for lines and such- it folds/rolls up so small that it takes up like NO space, it's easy to get on/off, and is cool, which is a big plus in warm weather.

I didn't care for the Ergo. I've heard a lot of warnings about carriers, but I've used a Bjorn with all 3 of my kids and they all walked early and haven't had any problems. My oldest one practically lived in the thing until he was about 6 months; my twins a little later (although one at a time, ;)).

My biggest issue with the Ergo carrier is that I could never use the back carry method when I was alone. I found it to be fairly comfortable once it was on, although it was not as comfortable as the Bjorn. I am short, though, so that might be part of it.

I used a Sherpani Lightweight, which is a carrier with a frame, in place of the Ergo. It didn't cost that much more and it was so much more comfortable.

One nice thing about the Ergo is that they're so popular, if you don't like it you can sell it easily on Craigslist or Ebay. I sold mine for close to what I paid for it.

LOVE IT!!:lovestruc I have a 4 1/2 yo DD and a 26 lb. 8 month old DS (yes, I said 26 lb)!! He Loves to be in the ergo, and i love wearing him. I have my hands free, he feels safe and secure, he sleeps, eats, and watches the world go by, all while being close to his mama. I have tried a few other carriers, and this is by far the most comfortable for us both....good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter