• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Episode 8: The Octopus meets Shamu

joedisney

<font color="#a049b6">Yes, I said the octopus is p
Here’s Episode 8. As a reminder: I'm Joe, the Dad and 38. Kathy, the Mom is 34. Christopher is 8, Connor is 5, the famous "Octopus" from Episode 1 is 18 month old Alex and how could I forget the precious Caley Elisabeth who, at the time, was negative 4 months.

Ok, there are many good reasons to explain how I got here. Situations like these always start out innocently enough. The ill conceived dare to an all too eager eight-year old. The "did I say that or just think it" kind of dare that you know is a big mistake before you even get it all out. Of course he’s going to want to sit in the soak zone. He’s eight. What was I thinking? I Foolishly hold out hope that he will change his mind as we take our seats about five rows up from the front. How I got here, that’s at least explainable. Why I’m not running for cover now that I’m here? That I can’t answer. Maybe it’s the thought of that pesky little ten-year old girl from the Kali River Rapids still fresh in my mind. Ok, if it were just me and the map boy, that would be one thing. But, no, I’ve got the babe with me. The poor unsuspecting Octopus, just sitting peacefully on his Dad’s lap. Then there’s the Mom factor. I’m sure she’s watching from somewhere up in row 115 just waiting for reason to kick in. She probably thinks I’m just testing her and will be clamoring for cover at any second. Nope, I just continue to sit, heart racing, waiting to be drenched by the splash of an enormous killer whale. This is not smart. Yet, I sit, as if my butt were somehow super glued to the seat. We have been warned. "YOU WILL GET WET!" blares the announcer. Still, we sit. Everyone around us begins to pull out their rain gear. I notice a flicker of uncertainty in Christoher’s cool façade as the first cascade of water drenches the crowd to our left. The mayhem continues as the great whale splashes down to our right. A huge wall of water surges over the tank completely soaking all those within the first few rows. We brace for the worst as the giant beast circles the pool before heading our way. Too late to run now, I shield the babe as best I can. The Whale makes the final turn. Building its speed, it begins to head directly towards us…

It’s Tuesday, January 16. Tonight will be our last night at the Grand Floridian. After a quick breakfast, we head off for a day at Sea World. We are all excited about visiting this beautiful park. Having purchased discounted tickets at AAA before arriving, we were able to avoid the lines and head straight in. One of the many nice touches found at sea World are the customized maps that detail the days events. After quickly scanning the schedule, we head straight over to the Journey to Atlantis. Christopher and I both love this half roller coaster, half flume ride. We ride poncho free and I am more than happy to get a bit wet as we whiz around on this unique ride. Right around the corner from Atlantis sits the monster coaster Kraken. Although Christopher is disappointed that he is too small to ride the Kraken, I am a tad relieved. Our next stop is the Penguin Encounter. The boys love this exhibit. They all find these tuxedoed gentlemen quite intriguing. The babe is having so much fun, it’s difficult to get him to move on. With everyone finally moving towards the exit, we decide to catch the next showing of Shamu. Just as we are about ready to leave, we notice the babe has turned back and is making a run for it. After saying our last good bye’s to the penguins, we head over to Shamu Stadium.

The 35 minute Shamu Adventure Show is fast paced family fun. While waiting for the show to begin, an interactive quiz show places several audience members up on the big screen. Those of us in the soak zone are reminded many times that we will soon get very wet. Next up, Jack Hanna hosts a short movie introduction. Before you know it, the great Shamu is demonstrating its fluid strength and keen intellect. I have seen this show several times before, but I am always impressed at the mutual trust exhibited by the trainers and this amazing animal. Shamu really dazzles the crowd. As the show nears its conclusion, we are again warned, "THOSE IN THE FIRST TEN ROW WILL GET SOAKED". I simply cannot believe that yet another member of the opposite sex is again holding me in contempt. This one several years older than the ten-year old at Kali River Rapids, but her gaze no less foreboding. On the rapids, I’m scorned for wearing a poncho. Here, I’m visually chastised for not protecting my young one. She just doesn’t understand. This is the octopus. He loves the water. Shamu doesn’t scare the Octopus. OK, I may be losing my nerve, but there is no way I’m getting up now. I’ll show this lady. We’ll sit here, get soaked and walk away laughing. Dripping and laughing, but we’ll walk away with our dignity. Time moves very slowly as the great whale builds up its speed. Boy is my wife going to kill me. More on this later…

After Shamu, we eat at the Waterfront Sandwich Grill. The place is packed and I wait in line with Christopher as Kathy and the small boys search for an open table. With our trays full of food, Christopher and I find the rest of the gang at a nice table by a window. The food isn’t that great, but we are all glad to be indoors watching those out on the deck fight the birds as the swoop down in search of food. After lunch, we stop for some ice cream then mom and the big boys do Terrors of the Deep, while I sit with the sleeping babe. Alex wakes up just as we make our way to Shamu’s Happy Harbor playground. Connor and Christopher have a great time climbing through the two story mazes and netting. Believe it or not, the longest line we wait in during our entire stay is right here at Sea World. Christopher and I wait way to long for the Wild Arctic Helicopter simulator ride. This ride is fun, but if it’s more than a fifteen-minute wait…skip it. Next, we head over to the Sea Lion & Otter Stadium to watch the famous Clyde and Seamore show. As usual, the best part of the show is watching the pre-show mime poking fun at unsuspecting guests as they arrive. We finish off our stay at Sea World by visiting Dolphin Cove, Turtle Point and Stingray Lagoon (Stingray’s are cool and feel even cooler). Christopher and I also manage to fit in two more rides on Atlantis. As we drive back to the World, we bring along many memories of a great day at this wonderful park. Anyone visiting Disney for more than a week should definitely carve out one day to visit Sea World.

When we get back to the hotel, it is time for Christopher and I to head over to the Magic Kingdom for E-Ticket night. For those of you who don’t know, E-Ticket night is available to Disney resort guests with multi day passes. For an extra $10, you can stay in the park for three hours after the official closing. In a word, E-Ticket night is awesome. When we get to the park, we begin waiting in a short line at city Hall to exchange our E-Ticket vouchers for the wristbands that will allow us to remain in the park after its seven o’clock closing. I overhear the CM tell the girl in front of us to go back out the door and around the corner to redeem her voucher. As I politely wait for the girl to go before us, the guy behind me rushes to get in front of both of us. What a goof. I am pleased to find the goofball arguing with another CM as I round the bend to redeem my voucher. It appears as though you need every member of your group present to retrieve your wristbands. As this most unpleasant individual mumbles obscenities as he searches for his unfortunate wife, Christopher and I get our wristbands and are quickly on our way. We start this perfect evening at Peco’s Bills for some cheeseburgers and fries. The bar of fixin’s is wasted on Christopher, but I am thrilled with the fresh assortment of condiments available to adorn my burger. We find a nice outdoor table just as the fireworks begin to go off. We sit, munching on our burgers, enjoying the warm night air under the colorful canopy of Disney’s Fantasy in the Sky fireworks. It is sheer joy watching my boy as he chomps on his burger. His face illuminated by both the fireworks above and the anticipation of spending the next three hours with his dad in a crowd free Magic Kingdom. This is one of those moments that I wish could last forever. Soon, however, we are on a whirlwind tour of the park. Over the next three hours we go on thirteen rides. Our night goes something like this: Pirates of the Caribbean once, Splash Mountain three times, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad twice, The Haunted Mansion, The Time Keeper, Space Mountain four times and Buzz Light Year once. There are so few people, the CM at Splash Mountain actually lets us ride three times without even getting off. As the last ride closes and we begin to make our way towards Main Street, we are both exhilarated and exhausted. Not wanting the day to end, we stop off at the Gasperilla Grill for a soda. Sipping our Sprites by the pool we talk about our day, our favorite rides and how suddenly cold it has become. We don’t sit long before we shiver our way back to our room. Seconds after hitting the pillow, we are both fast asleep.

What’s that? Oh, sorry, I almost forgot. Back at Shamu Stadium. We brace ourselves for the worst. We have seen those around us get wet, real wet. I’m trying to protect the babe as best I can, but there is no way we’re not getting drenched. A cold trickle of sweat rolls down my back. Christopher’s head is buried in my side. The babe is trying to peak out wondering what the heck we’re doing. The whale is getting closer. Just as it’s about to jump out of the water, it slows down and harmlessly slides up on the platform. We have been duped. I have been spared. Somehow, the strong will of one mom up in row 115 had something to do with it. This, I am sure of.

Coming next Episode 9: Did someone order room service?

LOL, I was really expecting the worst with Shamu....
Thanks for another enjoyable episode!

Beth :p

Only 15 more days!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Another great report! We visited SeaWorld in Ohio last August and it seems much smaller, and with a lot less attractions than Orlando. Guess we'll have to try it next time.

Great report! I can just see one pregnant mom, arms crossed, foot tapping, actively glaring in your direction with the words "I told you so" echoing loudly in her head
as she waits for the inevitable drenching. But as all of us know, Octupi love water and the first word out of his mouth would probably have been "AGAIN!!":jester:

It was well worth the wait! I was laughing out loud when I read the first paragraph. :D

ROFL!! You had me from the first line on this one, Joe! Excellent job, I think your best one to date!

Joe,

Another great report. Thanks so much for posting. Can't wait to see who ordered room service.:bounce:

What a kidder, joe!! The suspense was great.

The same thing happened to my son. The people on both sides of him got wet, but he did not, what a disappointment!

Having been to S W Ohio, which we really enjoyed, SW Orlando was even better. My boys will always remember patting and feeding the dolphins. We rode Kraken several times--what a lot of fun. And what a sneaky ride J to A was. I thought, great, I didn't get wet after the flume (had on my poncho), but there's that little "trick" after you go around the bend at the bottom--you know what I mean. lol

Looking forward to Day 9.

Thanks for continuing your trip reports - they are great! Congratulations again on your family addition :bounce:

Wonderful trip report Joe...can't wait for the next one

So pleased to see another installment!!! It just keeps getting better and better. Joe, you have missed your true calling! Can't wait for Episode 9!

:p

Another great report Joe. Thanks so much for posting.

We were at the Shamu Show last July...about row 5 towards the right. We were not as lucky as you. We were drenched down to our unmentionables. DH was unfortunate enough to have his mouth wide open just as gallons of fishy salt water came our way! We had a great time there and did eventually dry off!;)

HA HA HA!! This was a great report, Joe! Keep 'em coming!! & Congratulations on your baby girl!! :)

If you're planning for a future return trip, NOW is the perfect time to save those coins of yours! ;)

Another great trip report! Thanks for taking the time to post it! :)

I can't believe how many rides you managed to fit into E-Night, it sounds like you had a great day at both Sea World and Disney World!!! :)

I was reading and reading looking for the parts I love the most. The suspense and the humour are wonderful, but my favorite parts of your trip reports are the insights you share on the wonders of life with your family. I knew there would be a part in there that would give me goose bumps.. I can see your son's beautiful face at Peco's Bills! Thanks for making my day once again.

Thanks for the report Joe. Looking forward to #9! :D
And Congratulations again on your new daughter.
angelwing.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter