EpiPen in parks

Hezzy04

DIS Veteran
Do I need to be prepared with a doctors note or anything to bring my daughters' epipens into the parks? Or can I just carry them in with me without any worries?

I also need to find the same info for our airline (American airlines). I plan to call, but if anyone knows that and can share also, I would appreciate it!

no need to worry in the parks. For the airlines, at security we always declare them but people have said they never say anything and never have a problem.

The airport (I just called) said to just have them in the original packaging from the pharmacy. Do they need to be in the packaging for the parks, too? We usually have then in a fabric Epi case, but will be sure to just bring the "original packaging" (with my daugjters' names and such on it)if needed

The airport (I just called) said to just have them in the original packaging from the pharmacy. Do they need to be in the packaging for the parks, too? We usually have then in a fabric Epi case, but will be sure to just bring the "original packaging" (with my daugjters' names and such on it)if needed
we never needed original packaging for either the airport or disney.

From the TSA website

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to security officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to facilitate the security process.

You may carry non-medically necessary liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

I just have my DD put her EpiPen in the original packaging and in her backpack with her other meds. No one has ever said anything and she has flown 13 round trips across country a year for 3 years, at least. In the parks, she just take it out of the packaging (box) and keeps it in her purse or backpack. Again Disney security has never really questioned it.

We took the boxes they came in but broke them down to save room for flying. At the parks we used a Frio pack to keep them at the correct temp. Security never asked about them. I think they are pretty common and don't think they question them.

We took the boxes they came in but broke them down to save room for flying. At the parks we used a Frio pack to keep them at the correct temp. Security never asked about them. I think they are pretty common and don't think they question them.

I was wondering about if we needed to do something so they wouldn't get too hot! So is it necessary to keep some sort of ice pack with them? In May? Ahhh...I really need to do some more homework on this!

We never have at WDW but we go in much cooler weather. We simply carry it either in a small bag or in a cargo pants pocket. When we are places where it can be hotter, such as the beach, we keep it in the outside pocket of an insulate cooler. It keeps it cool enough, but not too cold. We travel with at least four epi pens, but carry only two into the parks so just in case something happens, we have back ups.

We have been through numerous airports and have never had an issue. Nor did we have an issue at any of the Disney World Parks two years ago.

We went in Sept/Oct and I felt more comfortable having them in the cooler pack. It keeps them at the right temp without having to worry so it was good for my piece of mind (esp. when I was worried about the meals already).

A cooler pac (or Frio pac) would keep them from getting too warm. You don't want to use an ice pack though because it could get too cold. I have heard of small amounts of medication like that even freezing if up against ice.

Last edited:
You won't be able to administer the epinephrine if it gets too cold (for poster asking about an ice pack.) it should never get cold. We protect ours from the cold weather here. Just get something insulated to carry it and make sure it stays at the temps stated on the box. Epis shoukd never be refrigerated or kept chilled. You want it to work.

The epi pen website was giving out free epi pen insulated carrying cases recently. Check it out and get one for yourself.

If your pharmcist does not already do it, you can ask them to put a prescription label on the plastic container Epipen provides to keep the Epipen safe. I have had some pharmacists put the label on the box and have had to ask they print a label for me for the plastic container.

That said, Epipens are well-labeled as to their ingredients. In some jurisdictions an Rx is not even needed to buy one, so there may not be a label.

I have never had an issue with airport or other security and the Epipen. They know what it is and one is allowed to bring them.

PP's have raised a good point about temperature. Epipens are supposed to be kept in a specific temperature range. Too hot or too cold can be or is problematic.

I use a Thermal Ana-Tote when carrying the epipen in temperature extremes -- like Disney World !! There is a single epipen and a double epipen version (see e.g. http://www.allstarcanada.ca/#!shop/cpxn there are also US retailors). They have thermal insulation that moderates the temperature of the Epipen inside, protecting it from temperature expremes and it has nice attachment options. there are now other brands of similar totes available, but I do not have experience with any of the others.

For normal day to day carrying I use the padded container provided for free by Epipen or the thermal container provided by Allerject/Auvi-Q via their respective websites.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter