• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epi pens in the parks

sarah24

Stop and Smell the Pixie Dust!! OFFICIAL MOUSE AD
I have a lot of allergies and carry epi pens. Do I need to do anything special to bring these into the parks?

The pharmacy does not stick a prescription label on the pens or the protective covers they're in. Do I need to get them to put the prescription on the cover?

Thanks!

Honestly, I doubt that anyone ever gives them a second glance. If they do ask, all you'd need to do would be to state what it is; I'm sure that enough epi pens go in to WDW every day that it's a nonissue.

We carried in an unmarked pill bottle containing various common remedies (advil, tylonel, sudafed), and while the bottle was plainly visible on bag checks, it was completely ignored.

I have severe allergies and have had to use an epi pen at Disney. I carry one at all times in my bag, and when checked the security people just pass over it and let me carry it in. No problems carrying this into the parks.

I too carry my pens without any problem. I have never had anyone question me at the airport or getting into a theme park, especially Disney. It is a medical necessity and cannot be taken away. Carrying that Epi-Pen is the difference between life or death.

Do not fret over this issue. :thumbsup2

I have a lot of allergies and carry epi pens. Do I need to do anything special to bring these into the parks?

I carry an insulin pen into the park all the time, I'm a PT FL resident and AP holder. I just say insulin pen, or diabetic supplies, and they barely give it a look. They are only interested because it is in a separate zippered bag. Some security CMs wave me on before I can open the case.

If my dh is carrying the bag they grill him, he gets uncomfortable explaining it, and must look guilty of something :rotfl:

BTW it also has no prescription label and the pen needles do not as well. No problem at the airport either.

I carry an insulin pen into the park all the time, I'm a PT FL resident and AP holder. I just say insulin pen, or diabetic supplies, and they barely give it a look. They are only interested because it is in a separate zippered bag. Some security CMs wave me on before I can open the case.

If my dh is carrying the bag they grill him, he gets uncomfortable explaining it, and must look guilty of something :rotfl:

BTW it also has no prescription label and the pen needles do not as well. No problem at the airport either.

I also carry an insulin pen, needles, lancets, etc. I was at Disney in January and had no trouble, no questions. If you're flying, you might want to tuck a letter from your doctor in your carry-on just in case, but with domestic flights you most likely won't need it. I always put my insulin in the tray at the airport security checkpoint, just to make sure there are no questions or delays. I've never had a problem.

My DF is allergic to bees and has to carry around an Epi Pen. We had it with in Disney and no one said anything about it. Part of the time it was kept in his jacket which nobody ever saw since he went through the "no backpack" line. The other times it was in our backpack and no one ever asked what it was. My cousin is allergic to peanuts and needs an Epi Pen, too. No one ever bothered my aunt regarding it either.

At the airport, we also put the Epi Pen in the separate "liquids" bin so we are not questioned about it either. Just in case though, the allergist gave us a letter stating that this was a life saving device and was not allowed to be removed from the person under any circumstances. If it'll ease your nerves, I would suggest getting such letter for the airport and the parks.

Also, always carry on ALL your Epi Pens. The area where the checked luggage is stored is super cold and could render them useless. We have two pens and I was going to put one in the carry on and one in checked (just in case something happened to one of them, we'd have a spare in a separate location.) I didn't even think of how cold it was under there until the allergist pointed it out.

Have fun at Disney!! :banana:

I, too, carry multiple epi pens for anaphylactic allergies (shellfish, strawberries, iodine). I have one in my purse, one in the diaper bag and one in my mom's bag when we're at the park so that if, God forbid, something happens, there will be one handy. (As an aside, be sure everyone in your party knows how to use it. My parents, husband & kids all know what to do if mommy gets ahold of a shrimp!) :rotfl::eek:

WDW never gave me any hassle about it (my pharmacy is annoying and sticks the Rx label on the BOX and not the PEN!); however, I did have problems at a couple of airports. :mad:

I just make sure they're visible at the top of the bag, tell the bag check person what they're for and they are just fine with it. One CM in particular told me that he sees a lot of those come through and they're pretty used to it. :thumbsup2

I'd bring the Epipen in the box with me on vacation - especially if the box has the prescription label stuck on it. That way, if you need a new one, etc, you have that info with you. I wouldn't bring the box into the park, but I would have it available while away.

The guards are looking for alcohol, glass, illegal drugs and weapons. They are not looking for prescriptions, so you'll be fine.

I've never had a problem taking my epi pen anywhere. I don't think carrying an Rx is necessary, but if you're out of town, bringing a photocopy of it woulndn't hurt. (If you use the epi-pen you have, having the Rx with you will make it that much easier to get a new one from the local pharmacy.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter