Epi pen

Kurby

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my trou
this will be the first trip that dd has an epi pen.

we got it in the fall for a nut allergy - i'm not sure what to do with it in the summer in the park.

with the high heat expected, will having it in the stroller or a back pack be ok or will the heat destroy the medication inside?

what do you guys do with your kids epi pens while at the park?

I am so glad you asked this, since I need to know as well. I've been struggling with how to carry ours for a few days now...not supposed to be refrigerated (so cooler with ice is a no-go, I assume), but it is going to be hot! Okay...waiting for answers too.... :surfweb:

LoL, me too.
We have gone for 2 years now in May, our first year it was very warm (between 80s and 90s) but not HUMID! Our 2nd year it just rained and rained and rained non stop for 6 days and it was cold for May.
The epi-pen was ok both times I assume b/c the medicine inside was not discolored. I kept it in my book bag.
But this year we are going in August, so I expect it to be super hot and humid and sticky, so I don't know how the epi will hold up. :confused3

Another tip for everyone is to bring those benadryl one dose packets, I always carry them around. And another thing I learned from the DIS is to bring colorox wipes and wipe down all tables and chairs your LO will be sitting at, especially at counter service type of meals. You never know who sat there last, what they were eating, and if that table was washed by the time you got there.

this will be the first trip that dd has an epi pen.

we got it in the fall for a nut allergy - i'm not sure what to do with it in the summer in the park.

with the high heat expected, will having it in the stroller or a back pack be ok or will the heat destroy the medication inside?

what do you guys do with your kids epi pens while at the park?

Looks like they need to be protected from extreme heat and light:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2096103_use-epi-pen-treat-severe.html

Just to be safe, just have a small soft cooler handy to keep it cool. My step dad does this for his insulin shots.

-Kevin

You might try asking this over on the disabilities board, however I believe I've read you can go to the first aid station inside the park and have medications stored. But, if you need the pen you would probably need it immediately so would recommend a cooler to keep it cool. The general consensus is not to store where it will get hot. I would check with the manufacturer or your doctor to be sure.:thumbsup2

I'm not sure about epipens, but we kept my DGF's insulin in a normal bag when we went in September and it was fine. It pretty much kept it's temperature in the parks and we got a fridge at the POP for medical reasons which we kept it in. We did look at this site before we went though, which sells cool bags to store medication in:
http://www.friouk.com/buy/

Keep it out of direct sun and you'll be fine. I've had my pen in every climate and temperature extreme and it's been perfectly OK in my bag. If it could survive Panama twice...

We carry one for my DD8. I take two bags into the parks - one with diapers wipes, sunscreen, etc. that stays in the stroller at all times. Then a small purse/bag with valuables where I also keep the epi pen that I carry onto all attractions with us. That way it's not sitting in the stroller all day baking and is right at hand should we ever need it. We've been carrying it for 7 years and have never had one show signs of discoloration. I just make sure we never leave it in the car or in direct sun light.

In general if you can survive the temperature then a reg med like insulin or an epi pen will be fine. (I'm sure there are a few speciality meds and someone will chime in but I'm talking usual ones) Now inside a closed car in the Florida sun is a different thing but out of the direct sun in a bag or on you will be fine. Insulin doesn't have to be cool either only for long term storage and that is over a month.

We carry my son's in my tote bag. No extreme heat , I take that to mean no cars(100+++inside) I don't leave the back pack or tote unattended in a stroller so it never sits and bakes in the sun. I've never needed it, thankfully,but always have it. i do however have a supply of Beny always with us.

Another tip for everyone is to bring those benadryl one dose packets, I always carry them around. And another thing I learned from the DIS is to bring colorox wipes and wipe down all tables and chairs your LO will be sitting at, especially at counter service type of meals. You never know who sat there last, what they were eating, and if that table was washed by the time you got there.

Don't forget the doorknobs, restroom faucets, handrails, guardrails, attraction vehicles, armrests, and even items in the gift shops - they could have allergens on them too.

I accidentally left my DD's epi-pen in my car when it was really cold several months ago (below freezing). I can't tell if the liquid is a little cloudy or if I am imagining it (seriously...) :confused3 :rotfl: It says not to refrigerate it, so I am guessing it is probably bad. Can anybody tell me what the 'discoloration' would look like? Ah, heck, I'll probably just get another...better to be safe than sorry!

My sister always carries her epipen in her regular bag that she keeps with her (in the parks and elsewhere), and her epipens have held up fine during the several trips we've taken to WDW in August and September.

We always carry dd's epipen in the regular bag.

The doctor said it was fine, and we specifically asked for our July 4th week trip last year.

We've always carried my DS's epipen on our person. I think it will be ok as long as it's not in direct heat baking away (ie: like in a car). You don't want to keep it in a cooler because it shouldn't be stored at extreme temperature whether it be hot or cold. You want to have it with you in case you need it in an emergency, so you wouldn't want to leave it with guest services or in your diaper bag on your stroller, etc. It needs to be with the person who needs it at all times. We've never had a problem in the heat just carrying it with us.

You could also call your allergist and ask what they recommend.

I also recommend wiping down things with wipes so as not to get cross contamination. Good luck to you and have a safe vacation!

Well I think that epi pen are for the emergency treatment of severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) caused by allergens, exercise, or unknown triggers; and for patients who are at increased risk for these reactions.

not to hijack this thread but now that twinject pen has been discontinued what am I going to do? I'll have to carry two bulky epi pens instead of one little twinjet I'm so sad about this =( no more little wristlet for me at disney.

My family carries a total of 8 Epi-Pens, 2 each for 4 people with allergies. Keeping them with you, not in the stroller/car/etc should protect them. You will be on and off of rides, so the temps will be constantly changing.

To the person who left hers is in the cold, you should replace them. Cold does not usually lead to discoloring, but it can affect the auto-inject mechanism.

And while you should not keep them in an icy-cold cooler, you can certainly have them in a cooler bag with a small ice pack, just to keep the temp a bit lower. We only do this occasionally, during really hot days. Generally, my son just wears his set and we have our back up set in mama's purse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter