Epcot WS Japan

Last time I was there (December 2009) there was a huge section in the Japan pavilion department store dedicated to Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli merchandise. It was incredible. They have items for just about every Miyazaki movie released in the US (Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc). You can find:

Ohh, I wonder if I can finally get my hands on a copy of "The Bush Baby" then. I haven't been able to find it anywhere here for purchase. I use to watch it every Saturday morning, but missed the final episode. My kids would love this.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2075

I found it by the rest of the food/drink items. Melon soda is AMAZING. Definitely one thing I'll miss from out here, but at least I can get my fix at Epcot lol!! It's in a glass bottle and there's a marble looking thing on top of the bottle.

The soda with a marble in the top is called Ramune. If you have a hard time finding it ask for it by name.

It's usually a pretty popular item in your local Asian grocery so if you like it you should be able to find it t home as well. We keep a small stock of melon and strawberry in our fridge. :).

Last time I was there (December 2009) there was a huge section in the Japan pavilion department store dedicated to Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli merchandise. It was incredible. They have items for just about every Miyazaki movie released in the US (Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc). You can find:

- Music soundtrack CD's (including mix cd's of music from each movie)
- Various assorted items like stickers and other small paper goods.
- Picture books that are excellent quality. Some are manga versions of the movies, others are art books.

Provided they haven't moved it since, the section is past the Pokeman/Naruto/Hello Kitty section. If you're walking in from the side door (close to where Miyuki the candy lady does her show), it's on the right side of the store, past the first cashier on the right but before the one on the left (if that's any help ;) )
That is great to hear!! Last night we had to watch "Kiki's Delivery Service" and the night before was "Howl's Moving Castle" DD and DS will be thrilled! I hope it is still there!!! They better save up lots of money!

Any experts on the Japanese pavillion ? My daughter is obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture (she is 10) she is taking Japanese lessons and I know going here will be important to her.

I know about the lady who makes the candy animals, the pick a pearl and I am sure my daughter will spend a lot of time in the department store. Anything else we should make a point of doing and what sorts of items can we expect to see in the store ? Like other areas of WS do many of the CM's speak Japanese, my daughter so wants to be able to speak to people ? Thanks.

OMG! this sounds just like my DD12. She loves anythng Japanese. She wants us to take her to Japan someday. Both my kids could spend HOURS in this part of WS and do. Anyway, my DD is also learning Japanese and often walks around the house singing songs in Japanese :). She loves all the books they have there. They have lots of manga books and kanji books. She also loves to go and buy ramune (japanese soda). When we do kidcot there she always likes to write her name in Japanese on the back of her mask so when she gets to Japan they know who she is already.

If your DD is into the Japanese writing there is a section of brushes and ink and paper there. You have to look for it as it was in a small corner. They have books showing how to do it. I get the rice paper and new ink each year when I go down.

Be careful of the glass bottles with the marbles in them. It's called Ramune and it's highly carbonated. DON'T SHAKE THEM! We did once and it was a mess. BTW, if you have an Asian market in your area, most of the foods can be found there cheaper than at EPCOT especially the Pocky. We love the Hi Chew and Meijii gummy candies. One of the more traditional is Botan Rice Candy. You eat the candy and the paper it's wrapped in b/c it's rice paper. It's a little expensive at EPCOT but if you're not in an area with an Asian market it's worth it to just try. They used to have a storyteller which was fun. She would even teach kids a few words of Japanese. DH and I met b/c of Japanese anime so I understand the obsession with anything Japanese. Japan in WS is our favorite must do every trip. Enjoy!

The soda with a marble in the top is called Ramune. If you have a hard time finding it ask for it by name.

It's usually a pretty popular item in your local Asian grocery so if you like it you should be able to find it t home as well. We keep a small stock of melon and strawberry in our fridge. :).

I'm hoping we can find it at home. I am completely addicted to it (Fanta is the BEST out here!) I have to send Pocky home to one of my friends all the time. I can get it for 100 yen so it's super cheap :)

I'm now wondering if they have Chu Hi in Epcot. It's alcohol....kind of reminds me of something like Mike's hard lemonade (well the lemon kind) but in a can. I love the grape kind and would be all about that when we go home lol!

Mitsukoshi is huge and a lot of fun to stroll through, even if you don't plan to buy anything because it is so much more expensive than most other places, but really that goes for anything that you buy in World Showcase. Specifically, it's easy to get most everything from the food section of Mitsukoshi more cheaply at local asian markets, or even online, direct from Japan, sometimes. Not that that stops us from buying a few items anyway! :rolleyes:

No one has mentioned the art gallery at the back of the pavilion, and I think you should definitely plan to spend some time there. It's a nice, quiet space to absorb some culture and calmly reflect on Japanese life. Amazing for a theme park, really!

As for Chu Hi - Wikipedia states that no one distributes it in North America.

Anyone know about clothing at the store ? DD really wants a kimono but states she knows they will be to expensive and I will not buy her one.

Catch the Japanese Storyteller! She has audience participation and is very enjoyable. She signed by photobook with her name & mine this past Feb 2010.

My niece and I love Japanese anime, so we always spend lots of time in the store. One of my favorits purchases is a Japanese fan. The store clerks will write your name on it in Japanese. They are quite useful out in the park on a hot day! :cool2:

Why is that?

re Miyuki: There's been various speculation as to whether she cannot give away her sculptures due to some sort of food safety regulation (because she works ungloved) or the result of too many guests being upset that they or their child was not selected to receive one, and/or turning up at her shows for most of the day in the hopes of receiving one. Or both.

It's confirmed that she no longer gives them away, nor are they available for purchase. She will take audience suggestions and pose for pictures with the sculptures, but nobody gets to take one home.

I really hope they will revisit this policy and label the items as not for consumption. If your child does not get one on this visit you may always return and try again, or perhaps change it like the Jedi Academy where if you are willing to wait the longest you should receive one of the animals:confused3

That is great to hear!! Last night we had to watch "Kiki's Delivery Service" and the night before was "Howl's Moving Castle" DD and DS will be thrilled! I hope it is still there!!! They better save up lots of money!

I figure everything should still be there. The area was very busy when I saw it in December and I imagine it does very good business.. Ponyo had just been released earlier that year so it looks like a lot of the younger audience was fascinated with that section (which should make Disney keep it for that reason alone). But the best thing about the Ghibli works is that they really are for all ages and I saw plenty of young adults and adults perusing and buying stuff. Some of the stuff was a bit expensive (especially the cd's and the larger art books) so you'll want to save money for it. It's also great for impulse buying little gifts I probably spend more money comparatively in the Japan pavilion then any other area throughout Disney - maybe not counting Dole Whips :goodvibes

I found it by the rest of the food/drink items. Melon soda is AMAZING. Definitely one thing I'll miss from out here, but at least I can get my fix at Epcot lol!! It's in a glass bottle and there's a marble looking thing on top of the bottle.

Thanks to both of you for the location and the name. I never really checked out the food/drink area that specifically. I'll have to do so next time I'm there. And I'll make a special note about Ramune and try to remember not to ask for Ramen instead ;)

"Yeah, melon flavored noodle soup please." :sick:

Be careful of the glass bottles with the marbles in them. It's called Ramune and it's highly carbonated. DON'T SHAKE THEM! We did once and it was a mess.

LOL, good info to have, seriously. Either that or I try to make it seem that the over-bubbling is meant to synchronize with the drum ceremony ;)

Great thread overall, btw. The Japan pavilion has been one of my favorite Disney spots for years :)

Just looked at an old receipt and wanted to state to Chu Hi is served at Tokyo Dining (or at least was in May 2009)

Just looked at an old receipt and wanted to state to Chu Hi is served at Tokyo Dining (or at least was in May 2009)

NO FRIGGEN WAY. :woohoo: You just seriously made my day. Had a good time with Chu Hi this weekend.....

And got some of the melon soda with the marble. Don't know if it's the same stuff (probably is) but the name was in Japanese. It was amazing as usual lol

Our boys don't get nearly enough into the world showcase for us to have too much knowledge about this. But I will say that the storyteller caught all of our attention. She was friendly and really good at involving the audience. And there is a shaved iced stand that we got rainbow flavor from. I think it was cherry, kiwi, and tangerine. I know it was really really good.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter