Epcot WS Japan

baler31

DIS Veteran
Any experts on the Japanese pavillion ? My daughter is obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture (she is 10) she is taking Japanese lessons and I know going here will be important to her.

I know about the lady who makes the candy animals, the pick a pearl and I am sure my daughter will spend a lot of time in the department store. Anything else we should make a point of doing and what sorts of items can we expect to see in the store ? Like other areas of WS do many of the CM's speak Japanese, my daughter so wants to be able to speak to people ? Thanks.

Any experts on the Japanese pavillion ? My daughter is obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture (she is 10) she is taking Japanese lessons and I know going here will be important to her.

I know about the lady who makes the candy animals, the pick a pearl and I am sure my daughter will spend a lot of time in the department store. Anything else we should make a point of doing and what sorts of items can we expect to see in the store ? Like other areas of WS do many of the CM's speak Japanese, my daughter so wants to be able to speak to people ? Thanks.

Japan is definitely my favorite part of WS. You should eat at Tokyo dining. They offer and authentic bento box meal... awesome! I do believe that all of the cast members I have met do speak Japanese. Expect to see a decent cross section of traditional and pop culture japanese items. You and your daughter can have your own custom kimonos... or buy a bunch of Hello Kitty items... and if she is learning japansese there are plenty of books written in kanji available for purchase... have a great trip... and don't forget to stop at the kaki gori stand!

Most of the CMs are from Japan and will be happy to talk to your daughter about Japanese culture. If she knows a few words of Japanese, they'll be thrilled.

Just FYI, a lot of the items in the department store -- especially the books -- can be found elsewhere for much cheaper, though.

Thanks for the info, do you know approximate prices for kimonos. I know she would love one and would like to use it for a special halloween party. What is the kaki gori stand ? We have an ADR for dinner and I know she will enjoy the traditional and pop culture aspects. She is hoping for music cd's and some toy type things that we cannot get here.

Most of the CMs are from Japan and will be happy to talk to your daughter about Japanese culture. If she knows a few words of Japanese, they'll be thrilled.

Just FYI, a lot of the items in the department store -- especially the books -- can be found elsewhere for much cheaper, though.

This is what I was worried about with the department store, she is really looking for things that are not readily available in the US.

Have her visit the kidcot station in Japan. They will write her name and a short message in Japanese. (Free souviner)

Also make sure you catch the Japanese drummers!

We always have to get a Kaki Gori, too. They are so good, especially if it's really hot out.

I too love Japan, and have been teaching myself Japanese, and your daughter will love the store! I like to practice my Japanese while I am there, and since the workers in each pavilion are actually from the country they will speak the language. I had a lot of fun showing them my mad Japanese counting skills! :laughing:

Check the times guide for the candy lady and get there early- have your daughter stand up front so she will get picked.

Also the Mitsokoshi Dept Store has a section of foods/candy and drinks from Japan that I'm sure your daughter would think is neat.

I thought I read that the candy lady is no longer going to be there? My kids love the toys in the store especially the Pokemon toys. My daughter (age 7) really loves anime and I am thinking this year she is really going to love this Pavillion.

Before you head into WS you can stop at innoventions or one of the kiosks at the entrance to WS and get signed up for a Kim Possible mission in Japan. My ds did it and loved it, even though our transponder was a bit finicky. Technically you can not request what country they issue your Kim Possible mission in but magically when I let them know my kids were studying Japan (and the next time Italy) we got both countries. :thumbsup2 In the Japan mission it points out a lot of the little gardens and their meanings which you could easily miss if you didn't look through every nook and cranie of the pavilion.

I thought I read that the candy lady is no longer going to be there? My kids love the toys in the store especially the Pokemon toys. My daughter (age 7) really loves anime and I am thinking this year she is really going to love this Pavillion.

I read that she will still be there, but she is no longer allowed to give out the candy that she makes.

Miyuki is still there, but apparently she is no longer permitted to give away her creations. She will still ask the audience for animals to make, but she doesn't give them to the person who requested them anymore.

She is not there every day. Her current schedule is Sunday-Thursday.

I am really excited to go there next month. DS is BIG into anything from Japan. We all love Anime here. DD is big on Hello Kitty, Totoro, and Ponyo. I just love this pavilion. I know my whole family will be excited to see it.

Definitely check out the Eisa!! That has to be my favorite part about living in Japan-the drummers. So much fun, and when they really get into it is just SO cool to watch! Yes the CMs speak Japanese and we actually found someone from Okinawa last year. Turns out she grew up about 10 minutes away from where we live :) If you can, I highly suggest Pocky (YUM) and Melon soda in a bottle. They should still carry them. The melon soda is cool because it has a little marble in it. You drop the marble in the soda bottle and it creates the carbonation. Plus it's super yummy!!

At the back of the store, there is a sake bar. They sell little sake cups that the CMs will personalize with her name written in Japanese. I think they cost about $5.
There are some beautiful tea sets, bonzai trees and little knick-knack types of things to purchase. Some are pretty reasonable, others quite expensive. The kimonos are "real" ones so while I don't know the prices, I would imagine they're expensive.

I am really excited to go there next month. DS is BIG into anything from Japan. We all love Anime here. DD is big on Hello Kitty, Totoro, and Ponyo. I just love this pavilion. I know my whole family will be excited to see it.

Last time I was there (December 2009) there was a huge section in the Japan pavilion department store dedicated to Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli merchandise. It was incredible. They have items for just about every Miyazaki movie released in the US (Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc). You can find:

- Music soundtrack CD's (including mix cd's of music from each movie)
- Various assorted items like stickers and other small paper goods.
- Picture books that are excellent quality. Some are manga versions of the movies, others are art books.

Provided they haven't moved it since, the section is past the Pokeman/Naruto/Hello Kitty section. If you're walking in from the side door (close to where Miyuki the candy lady does her show), it's on the right side of the store, past the first cashier on the right but before the one on the left (if that's any help ;) )

If you can, I highly suggest Pocky (YUM) and Melon soda in a bottle. They should still carry them. The melon soda is cool because it has a little marble in it. You drop the marble in the soda bottle and it creates the carbonation. Plus it's super yummy!!

Melon soda sounds intriguing. What part of the pavilion has that? Is it near the rest of the food items in the big store? Any specific section? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Melon soda sounds intriguing. What part of the pavilion has that? Is it near the rest of the food items in the big store? Any specific section? Thanks in advance for any help :)

I found it by the rest of the food/drink items. Melon soda is AMAZING. Definitely one thing I'll miss from out here, but at least I can get my fix at Epcot lol!! It's in a glass bottle and there's a marble looking thing on top of the bottle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter