EPCOT-what size was your pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjew

Mouseketeer
Just came back from the World last week, Thursday, Sept. 25. We had a great time!! WE HAD A BLAST!!! My goal this time around was to get myself from Japan in EPCOT.....so i did.
My pearl size was 7.....my granddaughter decided she wanted one also so she did it....and wow did they make a big whoopla for her. She picked a good size one....it was an 8.

What was the size you picked and what's the average size?

We've never done this, but I'm thinking about it for our next trip. In addition to hearing how big everyone's pearls were, I'd love to see any pictures people may have taken!

Leslie

I've had one that is an 8 before. My others were between 6.5 and 7+, but I don't recall the exact sizes.

Trying to think of exact sizes... mine have all been between 6.5 and 7.5 - maybe one 8. And they've all been white, pinkish, or cream - no blue/black ones.

There are 2 places to pick-a-pearl: one is in Japan at Epcot and the other is a stand in DTD. The oysters are the same price. The difference is in the jewelry. The DTD location only offers gold jewelry - they say that setting a pearl in silver is a bad idea because the silver will tarnish and need polishing which could/will damage the pearl. My take on this is - don't polish the pearl, just the silver! Easily accomplished with a polishing cloth. So in DTD you get a $13 pearl and then they try to get you to set it in a hundred-some-odd dollar setting :eek: . Japan offers silver settings you can actually afford, which is nice.

D4D

My daughter's pearl wasn't that big, a tad under 7.0 I believe, but it was grey colored. They made a big deal, banged the gong, etc. over that.

My biggest pearl was 7 1/2 mm, and I also have a 7 1/4 and I believe a 6 something. They're all mostly the regular whitish color, but one with the slightest pink tint, one with a very very sligt blue tint, and the other a slight yellow tint. I love them! But I sure am hoping for a blue or gray or black.

We've picked pearls in Japan & DTD (much better "show" and settings in Japan) all 4 pearls were between 6.5-7.5 and pink to goldish in color. My older DDs special 13th birthday gift was picked at DTD 7.5mm gold pearl set in a 14kt yellow gold dolphin ring (total cost $225). The ones from Japan we set in sterling necklaces (approx $20 per setting and $14 for the pearl).

We love doing this and make sure we do it at least once every time we go.

Peral sizes gotten are 6.75 (three times),7.00, 7.25 (three times), 7.5, and 8. We have others that have been set and I can't remember their sizes.

You can also do this at the Yacht & Beach Club on the boardwalk.

I did this a few years ago in Japan, my friend picked an ugly oyster for me for my birthday, and I got two pearls. Here are some photos:

2900497550_94ca76d61a.jpg

2900497556_65258fa539.jpg

We picked twice this past week, two different times. My initial pearl was a yellowish cream color, around 7 3/4 in size. And then my mother picked and hers was around 7 1/4. DTD is actually a dollar more to pick, $15.99 instead of the $14.99 at the Japan pavilion.

My daughter picked hers in DTD and it was an 8. Not too bad on $$ (got the pearl, a cage style necklace and a chain for aprox $70.00) but I wish I'd remembered the one in Epcot. Oh, well, next time!

thanks
Xanthe

I was at Epcot last monday all four of us picked pearls. my daughters was a 7.0 my pearl was a 8.5 one of my daughters friends picked twin black pearls and the other picked a 8.0 pearl.

I didn't know you could get this done! I will have to get one done when I go at Christmas!

Picking a pearl in Japan or at the BC is one my DD's favorite things to do. She saves her money all year to do this several times over the course of our vacations. We stay at the BCV so sometimes at night we will just run over and pick a pearl, it's a nice walk after dinner. She has picked black, blue and silver pearls her sizes have ranged from 6-8 and she has pick twins a few times. She has over 40 pearls. Most of these range from white to pink to gold. The silver one is set and I think I will have something done for her 16th birthday with the others (a few years off). I have picked a few and one time I picked as 5mm in Japan and they said that it was below average (6mm) so I got to pick another and it was 6 1/2. We just have so much fun with this.:)

I love doing this, when I did it a couple years ago I got a black one. I don't remember the size but I think it was average.

DD and I did this last week. I told her the hints about picking out the ugliest oyster to get the prettiest pearl(thanks to this board). I let her pick them both and inside hers was a beautiful sliver/blue 7 3/4 mm pearl. Mine had a white with pink tint and was 7 1/2 mm. I really wanted to switch pearls with her, but she was so excited and they made such a big deal out of it, I let her keep it :rolleyes1 :laughing:

I got a 7.5 pearl with a green color, and another pearl - again 7.5 with a pink/gold color. My DD got two 6.5's and a 7.0, all with a gold color . I had my 2 made into a necklace - sterling, and DD had a pair of earrings made as well as a cell phone charm. Can't wait to do this again next August - it's become both an addiction and a tradition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter