• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot or Hollywood Studios with 12 month old?

sparkellyy

donald
Bringing my daughter for her first visit in September for her first birthday. We are having a hard time deciding between Epcot and Hollywood Studios in addition to our two days at Magic Kingdom. Any input would be appreciated!

I'd choose the park that's most appealing to you. Neither one has a lot for that age, in my opinion. That said, we took our DS when he was 16 months to both. He enjoyed the Nemo ride at Epcot and basically slept in his stroller the rest of the time while we walked World Showcase. At HS, he pretty much stayed in his stroller the whole time, checking out the people. He hadn't started watching any movies or shows at that age so he didn't know any other characters yet. We did meet & greets with Mickey, Pooh, & Tigger (this was in 2013, so it's changed since then) and DS "liked" that, but he had no clue who they all were. By the time we returned when he was 2.5, it was a different story. Go with what you want to do.

Another vote for Epcot! If your 12mo old is toddling and walking, there are a lot of fairly safe places for your little one to walk around and play at Epcot. There is just more that she can go along with, and PPs are right, if she'll sleep in the stroller, World Showcase is a very nice place to stroll while she's napping.

Also there are many more QS/CS food options to get a snack or whatever, that she may also enjoy at her age (hummus and pita in Morocco comes to mind; we seem to always end up eating there with the kids now.)

I also would go with Epcot. There is so much construction going on at DHS, that there isn't that much to do there right now. On the other hand, if you are huge Star Wars fans, I might go to DHS instead.

We are picking Epcot for our 18 month old. It's more appealing to us, and I hope to enjoy some adult beverages while he naps in the stroller!

EPCOT. Lots of places to get inside and out of the sun. Be sure to check out the dolphins at The Seas.

While I don't think your LO will be more interested in one than the other, I also suggest EPCOT because Hollywood Studios is mostly shows which can be lengthy for a baby that age to sit through. I attempted HS for the first time when my son was 16 mos old and he did great, I think partially because he was feeling a little sick and was quiet and wanted to snuggle into me moreso than usual. When he was feeling better the next day at MK, he couldn't make it through Philharmagic and I had to take him outside. Spaceship Earth, the Nemo ride and the Seas, Frozen, the boat ride in Mexico, and Figment are all great attractions for a baby. There's also the character spot. I agree that walking around the world showcase while the baby is napping is a nice way to pass the time as well.

Your baby will be happy with his family wherever you are. There will be plenty of new things to see and touch and smell etc. I would not really factor the baby into the decision at all. Unless you want two days at MK, I would not necessarily do two days there to the exclusion of another park. For this trip, go with what you guys want.

HS can be better for preschoolers (Ariel, B&B show, Disney Playhouse show, character greetings, Jedi Training etc..) but for a 12 month old I would still do Epcot because like others said, the World Showcase is so nice to stroll around in and at that age, she won't care too much.

If she is walking/crawling, you can try the exit area in Mission Space which has an indoor play area. The older kids go up high but there is a same level smaller area that kids can crawl thru (think Toddler area of Chik-Fil-A) with some mirrors too. That is a nice break from the heat. You and your DH can kid swap for Mission Space too.

ImageWorks is in the exit ride of Journey into the Imagination (which she can go on, just cover her ears during the loud parts) and that is fun for crawlers/walkers too. She will love the water fountains by the entrance too.

She can go on Spaceship Earth too.

In World Showcase, she can do the boat ride in Mexico, Frozen Ever After, play with the toys at multiple countries toy stores, see some street performers and characters.

HS can be better for preschoolers (Ariel, B&B show, Disney Playhouse show, character greetings, Jedi Training etc..) but for a 12 month old I would still do Epcot because like others said, the World Showcase is so nice to stroll around in and at that age, she won't care too much.

If she is walking/crawling, you can try the exit area in Mission Space which has an indoor play area. The older kids go up high but there is a same level smaller area that kids can crawl thru (think Toddler area of Chik-Fil-A) with some mirrors too. That is a nice break from the heat. You and your DH can kid swap for Mission Space too.

ImageWorks is in the exit ride of Journey into the Imagination (which she can go on, just cover her ears during the loud parts) and that is fun for crawlers/walkers too. She will love the water fountains by the entrance too.

She can go on Spaceship Earth too.

In World Showcase, she can do the boat ride in Mexico, Frozen Ever After, play with the toys at multiple countries toy stores, see some street performers and characters.
Thank you so much.

We were just at WDW last month for our son's first trip (13 months) and it was really our first time seeing the parks in a different way - what would be entertaining for him? Well.. kind of neither, but EPCOT definitely more so than HS. Journey Into Imagination with Figment is super cute for kiddos, as well as The Seas with Nemo & Friends. And then when (or if, I should say!) a nap falls into play, you can have a relaxing stroll through World Showcase.

Best of luck and have fun!

We were just at WDW last month for our son's first trip (13 months) and it was really our first time seeing the parks in a different way - what would be entertaining for him? Well.. kind of neither, but EPCOT definitely more so than HS. Journey Into Imagination with Figment is super cute for kiddos, as well as The Seas with Nemo & Friends. And then when (or if, I should say!) a nap falls into play, you can have a relaxing stroll through World Showcase.

Best of luck and have fun!

Thank you so much for your input especially coming first hand with your 13 month old. I appreciate it!!! We did decide on Epcot. Way more for her to see there ... :)

I appreciated this thread because we will be going with my two 13 month old granddaughters in the fall! I was thinking it would be trip that we would spend more time at the resort relaxing, but the parents want to do all of the parks (yay!), so this information is very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter