Epcot-Iluminations/MK-Wishes questions...and SW fireworks ?

candmforever

Mouseketeer
I think this will be a matter of preference..but I thought I'd ask..

We haven't been in 10 yrs, kids are 13 and 16 and don't remember going as toddlers, of course. DS13 REALLy wants to see Illuminations, DD16 is MEH about it AND meh about Wishes. DH doesn't care about fireworks (or parades!?) and I really love Wishes but have seen it a bunch of times (I still tear up tho!) but none of us have seen Illuminations.

We will be at Epcot Monday Oct 17 and in MK Tues Oct 18. We are torn about when to see Illuminations and IF we want to see Wishes at all.

We will be in Epcot all day MOnday, Oct 17 and could stay to see Illuminations. But originally we talked about park hopping over to MK around 8 pm to settle in to see Wishes. Wishes is only shown one more time that week we're there And our touring plans don't allow for to go to that 2nd show (in another place for a ressie).

We said that if we hopped over to MK that day to see Wishes (Oct 17), that the next day, when we plan to be in MK, that we'd hop back to Epcot when MK closes at 7 to play a little and then settle in to see Illuminations since it is also EMH in Epcot that evening (Oct 18) and we could play longer. We love the monorail and don't mind the back-and-forth of it all.

We don't get to DW that much, but every time we do and every time we see Wishes, I swear I'm not fighting those crowds again. Most times we get back to our resort around midnight (always a Value resort). But for some reason I always throw Wishes in there.

How about this option: Take the monorail to a resort that has the wishes music piped in and find a spot to view them from there? Do the buses run from resort to resort?

I guess I'm just looking to be persuaded one way or the other. because I'm right in the middle of making Wishes happen, or skipping it. Skipping it would look like: skip Wishes on Monday and stay at Epcot from rope drop to the end and catch Illuminations? Then on Tuesday, spend all day in MK and still go back to Epcot for EMH and maybe catch Illuminations again or play and ride while others are likely watching the fireworks?

I think what keeps pullling me back to consider wishes is that the kids don't really know what they are missing if we skip it. I feel like at least one of them will be soooo glad we went. And, of course, I will love it. But the long trek back to the motel at such a late hour amid the throngs has just about got me convinced to skip it this time.

I'm just afraid that after not having gone in 10 yrs, things aren't as I remember them for crowds and the events, and the whole 9 yrds. What do you guys suggest?

ALSO, for the Star Wars fireworks at HS (SW fanatics here, so we are very interested in this one, even DH)... can every one view them, or only those who pay for the dessert party?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer "Wishes" over "Illuminations" because "Wishes" incorporates more Disney characters and music than "Illuminations", set with the backdrop of the castle. So we always try to fit "Wishes" in on every trip.

For us, "Illuminations" was pretty much a one time deal. It's a great display, but for us it doesn't seem to be a "must see" on our visits. We usually enjoy the shorter lines at the rides, when the throng is clustered around to see "Illuminations". If you've never seen "Illuminations", I'd recommend trying it once.

ALSO, for the Star Wars fireworks at HS (SW fanatics here, so we are very interested in this one, even DH)... can every one view them, or only those who pay for the dessert party?

Everyone can view them. The new SW nighttime show is very dependent on laser projections on HS buildings, so you need to stake a spot a good 45 minutes - hour in advance; the dessert party get a preferred spot and get to spend that hour drinking and eating.

I couldn't miss wishes! We use the hoppers daily and I would o to Wishes and then Illuminations the next night. In terms of the SW Fireworks, anyone can view them. They aren't scheduled yet for your week. Fingers crossed that they will be soon!

Ok thanks!! And I guess I'll search here on Disboards as to the preferred spot for the SW show...unless someone knows a few good spots to share? ;) lol

I couldn't miss wishes! We use the hoppers daily and I would o to Wishes and then Illuminations the next night. In terms of the SW Fireworks, anyone can view them. They aren't scheduled yet for your week. Fingers crossed that they will be soon!

Pretty sure the SW fireworks will be on that week...we just booked a dessert party at HS for 10/22. The dessert party is scheduled for 6:45 so I would imagine the fireworks will be in the 7:30 to 8:00 range.

Pretty sure the SW fireworks will be on that week...we just booked a dessert party at HS for 10/22. The dessert party is scheduled for 6:45 so I would imagine the fireworks will be in the 7:30 to 8:00 range.

Good to hear!! We booked one for our upcoming trip and are very excited!

I think this will be a matter of preference..but I thought I'd ask..

We haven't been in 10 yrs, kids are 13 and 16 and don't remember going as toddlers, of course. DS13 REALLy wants to see Illuminations, DD16 is MEH about it AND meh about Wishes. DH doesn't care about fireworks (or parades!?) and I really love Wishes but have seen it a bunch of times (I still tear up tho!) but none of us have seen Illuminations.

We will be at Epcot Monday Oct 17 and in MK Tues Oct 18. We are torn about when to see Illuminations and IF we want to see Wishes at all.

We will be in Epcot all day MOnday, Oct 17 and could stay to see Illuminations. But originally we talked about park hopping over to MK around 8 pm to settle in to see Wishes. Wishes is only shown one more time that week we're there And our touring plans don't allow for to go to that 2nd show (in another place for a ressie).

We said that if we hopped over to MK that day to see Wishes (Oct 17), that the next day, when we plan to be in MK, that we'd hop back to Epcot when MK closes at 7 to play a little and then settle in to see Illuminations since it is also EMH in Epcot that evening (Oct 18) and we could play longer. We love the monorail and don't mind the back-and-forth of it all.

We don't get to DW that much, but every time we do and every time we see Wishes, I swear I'm not fighting those crowds again. Most times we get back to our resort around midnight (always a Value resort). But for some reason I always throw Wishes in there.

How about this option: Take the monorail to a resort that has the wishes music piped in and find a spot to view them from there? Do the buses run from resort to resort?

I guess I'm just looking to be persuaded one way or the other. because I'm right in the middle of making Wishes happen, or skipping it. Skipping it would look like: skip Wishes on Monday and stay at Epcot from rope drop to the end and catch Illuminations? Then on Tuesday, spend all day in MK and still go back to Epcot for EMH and maybe catch Illuminations again or play and ride while others are likely watching the fireworks?

I think what keeps pullling me back to consider wishes is that the kids don't really know what they are missing if we skip it. I feel like at least one of them will be soooo glad we went. And, of course, I will love it. But the long trek back to the motel at such a late hour amid the throngs has just about got me convinced to skip it this time.

I'm just afraid that after not having gone in 10 yrs, things aren't as I remember them for crowds and the events, and the whole 9 yrds. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

The crowds for Wishes will be worse than you remember. With four Halloween parties a week, those three nights with regular Wishes are crazy packed at MK.

And just so you know, the SW fireworks are on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays in October.

Go to the patio at the poly and watch wishes from there and def do star wars

I have to say that no matter what the kids or significant other say, if they have a heart [which I'm sure they do] they'll enjoy all the fireworks, Wishes, Illuminations, and Star Wars. Even if only for the creativity and message, I can't see anyone walking away from these shows disappointed. Solely my opinion but my goodness if I don't get goosebumps after watching Wishes and Illuminations about 100 times! The Star Wars show which we saw a few weeks ago for the first time, was something that we walked away from wide-eyed and just in awe at the technology and creativity displayed in the show.

As a contrast, we saw the Animal Kingdom Jungle Book show and that was a total let-down for us. It was lacking any creativity and really had me bored. I found myself looking around at the Tree of Life and Expedition Everest and not watching the show. I was such a downer after what I thought would be an awesome show.

Bottom-line, IMO, set up a time to watch all three. Let your family members rate the shows and then go from there. In the end, you get to watch them all anyway.....even if they don't like them! :-)

We honestly can't imagine a trip without Wishes. I think we only missed it on one trip, and we were all totally bummed about it. Never again! The fireworks are pretty from the MK resorts, but not the same. If you REALLY hate the throngs of people on Main Street (and I don't blame you, they make me nuts too...), I would suggest watching them from a different, less crowded vantage point. Have you ever seen the show from behind the castle? It's kind of amazing because the fireworks are directly overhead and even surround you at some points. You don't see the projections on the castle, but the fireworks being so close makes up for it. I think your 13 and 16 year old would be pretty impressed. We were, and we were all in our 20s. Lol! It's usually less crowded back there, and there's not the onslaught of people trying to exit the park at the same time.

We also saw Wishes from Dumbo one trip, and that's one of the best Disney memories I have. The lights from Dumbo mixed with the fireworks overhead...it was magical. :wizard:

I love Illuminations too, if you can swing it in your schedule, I would recommend it. It's different than Wishes but great in it's own way. I get goosebumps from both shows. :goodvibes

Have a great trip!

Did you check the schedule for the party nights at MK? And the fireworks only happen certain nights at HS in October. I'll take Illuminations over Wishes but I'll put the Halloween show, parade and fireworks on top of the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter