Epcot hours - Can this really be true?

7beasley

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone -- we are planning on visiting Epcot on Sunday September 14th. When I checked the Disney website for the hours of the parks - it showed that Future World at Epcot would be open from 9am to 6pm the month of September and that the World Showcase would be open from 11am to 9pm and Illuminations would be at 9pm.

My question is - can that really be true that Future World is closing at 6pm - it just seems so early -- does that mean no Test Track or Mission Space after 6pm and instead everyone at Epcot waiting for Illuminations will be at the World Showcase.

We were at Epcot on a Sunday in September in 2001 and I checked my map from that day (the guide you get when you enter the park) and it clearly showed the hours of Future World as 9am to 9pm and the World Showcase as 11 am to 9pm.

6 pm seems way too early - looking for input on whether that sounds right to you or whether you think the Future World rides will be open later!

Thanks!

Our last 2 trips, one in 2001 the same week as the 9/11 tragedy, and one in Oct. 2002, Future World was closed pretty early. I think on our las trip it was about 6 or 7 pm and they had ropes up so you couldn't get to any of the attractions....they just had a direct route unblocked so you could leave World Showcase and get out of the gates.

As far as I know the Future World always closes earlier and the World Showcase is open until 9:00. It was the case in early August ( a few weeks ago). I'v heard that Test Track and Mission:Space stay open until 7:00.

Those are standard Epcot hours. I have a schedule from July 27. It shows HISTA, Spaceship Earth, Test Track open until 9. Innoventions is open until 7.

The same as the last poster when we were there last Thanksgiving. Spaceship Earth, Mousegears, and Test Track all stayed open unitl 9pm, the rest closed at 6.

The rest of the rides in Future World are usually empty in the evening, so it wasn't worth it to keep them open. I remember on our December trip last year we rode the new Imagination ride right before closing and we walked through the entire que and up to the platform without seeing another person.

After 9/11 the parks took a big hit so a lot of hours were cut. Future World started closing at 6pm. World Showcase was openining at 12pm for a while there now it is back to 11am. A few rides like Test Track and Spaceship Earth stay open. I wonder if Mission Space will.

We were there late April/early May and Future World closed at 6:00. Test Track was open until 9:00 though and I would bet that Mission Space will be also.

When we visited WDW last September FW closed at 7pm each night. One night we had a 7pm dinner PS at the Garden Grill (The Land) and there were 2 CMs standing at the entrance to the building. As we approached they told us "sorry, but this attraction is closed". We had to tell them we had a PS and they let us in - - it was kinda neat walking throught the building with no one else around. The restaurant was pretty empty that night! We got LOTS of attention from the characters!

Debbie

In mid-April FW closed at 6:00. I think all that was open was Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Mousegears & Electric Umbrella. We often liked to eat at The Land food court in the early evening, so this really put a crimp in our plans!

After 9/11, FW began closing at 7:00 with WS opening at 12. After the 7:00 closing there were still a few FW attractions open like TT and Innoventions. Within the last 5 - 6 months, WS has gone back to opening at 11:00, but FW is closing at 6:00. The idea is to get everyone into WS to eat while waiting for Illuminations at 9:00. I believe there are still a few attractions still open, but none of the fast food restaurants.

Hmmm I'm not quite convinced the 6pm closing time is all 9/11 related...I seem to remember during our trip in 2000 FW closing early as well, in fact I don't remember a time when it stayed open much later than 7pm...even when were were there for our Honeymoon during the week between Christmas and New Years 95/96.

I suspect its probably a way to get the guests to see/enjoy and experience part of WS and Illuminations, as well as sample food for dinner!

:wave:

Yeh its true, we always go in September and FW always closes earlier. I think on our last trip they were open till 7 though. This will be our first trip to experience the 6 p.m. closing but I don't remember it ever being that bad. It may have been a little more crowded at WS after then but in September its never really bad at all. We hardly noticed a difference. I think because it is so spread out.

One thing that's a bummer that I hadn't thought of til it happened to us is that this means no dinner at Sunshine Season Food Fair (or whatever it's called) in the basement of the Land. Seems like it's always so busy at lunch, so we thought we'd try it for dinner. No such luck! Unless CMs at entrance were misinformed, as they were about Garden Grill?

I have my times guide from Epcot for March 24-30, 2002

Park Hours
Future World (daily)-- 10:00 am-9:00 pm
World Showcase (daily) 11:00am- 9:00 pm

We loved doing Future World in the evening. There were hardly any crowds, and we were able to get a lot done. We're leaving tomorrow (counting down the hours!!!) and the whole time we're there FW closes at 6.

where the kids can play the video games and stuff? Or does that close at 6/7 also?

I don't remember it ever closing earlier than WS either, but 9/11/01 was the last time we were there. But you can bet they don't close Mousegear, Disney wouldn't want to miss any opportunities to get more of our $$! :p

I actually think it's great that Mousegear stays open. It's my favorite shop at Disney World and I love going there after Illuminations is over. That way I don't waste time shopping when I could be touring the park in the earlier hours. Plus, the fountains are all lit up then, and the park really empties out while you shop.

Double bonus if you're staying at an Epcot resort. It's a very romantic, private walk through Canada and UK at night after everyone else has gone. :-)

I don't recall the exact dates....but it was well after 9/11/01 when Future World began closing early as a rule. Going by my times guide from July 2002, it must have been some time between that March (as stated by Mickeyluver37) and July that they changed the hours. In July 2002 Future World closed at 7pm.

On our last visit in July of this year, both Test Track and Mission:Space were open, as well as MouseGear.

I checked the historical hours on Laughing Place's site and here's what I found.

Previous to Nov 2001 Epcot's hours were FW 9 - 9, WS 11 - 9
Nov 2001, Epcot switched over to FW 10 - 7, WS 12 - 9
In April 2002 WS changed to 11 - 9, FW still 10 - 7
June 2002, FW was open 9 - 7, WS still 11 - 9
May 2003 FW changed to a 9 - 6 schedule, WS still 11 - 9

http://www.laughingplace.com/Info-Cal-wdwepcot-200308.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter