• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot hot air balloon ride?

FoundMyPrince

DIS Veteran
Has anyone won the Epcot hot air balloon ride? Did I make this one up? I thought it was given out quite often.

Never heard of it. I didn't think WDW did their own Hot Air Balloon Rides. Do you have any more info? I'd like to look into it if it's something that can be paid for. Sounds amazing.

Has anyone won the Epcot hot air balloon ride? Did I make this one up? I thought it was given out quite often.

You didn't make it up. But it will only be awarded once, because a vacation package is also included in the prize. From the official YOAMD rules:
One (1) Spaceship Earth Hot Air Balloon Tethered Flight trip is available: Prize consists of a four (4) day/three (3) night vacation package to Walt Disney World® Resort. Package includes: round-trip, economy class air travel for winner and up to three (3) guests to Orlando, Florida, round-trip ground transfers selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion between the Orlando International Airport and the Resort, standard hotel accommodations (one room based on quadruple occupancy), a 4-Day Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper® Option for winner and each guest, and Disney Gift Cards with US$75 per day for winner and each guest, which can be used for meals. During the trip the winner and guests will receive a tethered flight in the Spaceship Earth Hot Air Balloon. This prize also includes US$1,770 to be used toward the payment of taxes. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty that the cash portion of this prize will be sufficient to pay winner's tax liability. Travel must be completed by September 30, 2009. Specific travel dates to be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. ARV of the prize: US$7,670.
:)

This is something that you can not pay for!!! It is like the overnight stay in the castle... the only way you can get it is (as the Dream Team has told me) to be in the right place at the right time!!!!

I like that it tells when people have won the dreams. That way we know what we have a chance or getting when we go!:cool1:

I dont know if someone won the ride, but I know I saw a Hot Air Balloon over EPCOT on 6/23!!:goodvibes

Did the hot air balloon look like the Epcot ball?

nena
Mouseketeer

I dont know if someone won the ride, but I know I saw a Hot Air Balloon over EPCOT on 6/23!!

The Orlando Sentinel reported in the June 28 edition that a giant tethered balloon (for rides) would be added to the Downtown Disney area in the future. They were reporting about the closing of the clubs at DD and what would be added.

Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
We could float among the stars together, you and I
For we can fly we can fly
Up, up and away

(I think the 5th Dimension got it right)

seems odd that they would get a balloon made that shape just for one flight - I'd imagine its going to cost several thousand $$ to be made?

seems odd that they would get a balloon made that shape just for one flight - I'd imagine its going to cost several thousand $$ to be made?

The SSE balloon was created for the Millenium Celebration and was taken to major cities across the US back in 2000. You can see a photo gallery of its trip here:
http://wdwscrapbook.tripod.com/EpcotMillenniumBalloon.html

Believe me, Disney has already gotten its money's worth out of it. :)

The Orlando Sentinel reported in the June 28 edition that a giant tethered balloon (for rides) would be added to the Downtown Disney area in the future. They were reporting about the closing of the clubs at DD and what would be added.

That would be fun! :cool1: There used to be a similar attraction at Disney Village in Disneyland Paris but it's been a good few years since we've been there so I'm not sure if it is still available. :upsidedow

That would be fun! :cool1: There used to be a similar attraction at Disney Village in Disneyland Paris but it's been a good few years since we've been there so I'm not sure if it is still available. :upsidedow

Yes, the PanoraMagique is still there. The balloon that's planned for DTD is reportedly going to be a similar type (made by the Aerophile company) but it will be lit internally and offer different aesthetics. :)

Yes, the PanoraMagique is still there. The balloon that's planned for DTD is reportedly going to be a similar type (made by the Aerophile company) but it will be lit internally and offer different aesthetics. :)

Cool - can't wait to try it out! :goodvibes

Just reading the Thread.... We flew with Thompsonaire.com on our last trip. Class Act!! It was the best time we had on the trip!! CPT Jeff is awsome! We will be visiting him again on our next trip!

From Laughingplace.com:

An 80-foot-tall hot air balloon, shaped like Epcot’s Spaceship Earth icon, floated Jan. 28, 2009 above the Magic Kingdom in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., carrying the Birkett family, of Scottsdale, Ariz. The special flight was one of the dreams awarded as part of Disney Parks’ 2008 “Disney Dreams Giveaway.” On Sept. 17, 2008, Christian Birkett was chosen at random as the dream recipient while experiencing The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh attraction at Disneyland Park in California. In addition to the tethered balloon flight, Birkett’s dream included a VIP vacation to Walt Disney World. The Disney Dreams Giveaway, part of Disney's Year of a Million Dreams which officially ended Dec. 31, 2008, awarded a million-plus dreams throughout 2008 at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. After today’s balloon flight, Birkett commented, “When you’re up there, it feels like you’re on top of the world. It’s definitely a dream come true.

ShowPic.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter