EPCOT Food and Wine Fest......I was shocked!

I think that everyone has to form their own opinion about weather they should go to the FWF. We, five adults and two children, were there on Fri. Nov. 9 and stayed until after Illuminations. We didn't see anything out of the ordinary and no drunks. Maybe we were just so excited to be there that we didn't notice. This was my third time to FWF and I will most certainly go again. I love it.

I'm a teetotaler and was at Epcot with my 2 young children on Sat 11/3/07. We stayed until closing. We didn't witness ANY drunken behavior. Being a non-drinker, I'm rather sensitive to being around people who drink alot. The only thing I noticed was a few "tipsy" people making comments about my children's light up toys (you know, those spinny light up things they sell during SpectroMagic).

I remember last September during the free dining when there were LOTS of drunk people hanging around outside of the Rose & Crown.

So, to the OP, if it was me who witnessed that drunken behavior, I would definitely call WDW and complain.

My husband and I went on the last day 11/11. We started drinking at 11am, and finished at 5pm. We weren't roudy, we didn't swear, and we had taken the hotel shuttle so we didn't worry about driving offsite. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary (darn, I miss all the good stuff). Hope to do it again next year.

I agree on the weekend evening crowds - it is MUCH better during the day, not as many drunk type peoplle (go at noon, and it's also empty).

I am not sure what Disney is supposed to do about it...ban drinking during a food and wine festival? institute a per person drink limit? Post a warning at the gate? End the festival entirely? It brings in a lot of business (mine included).

The World Showcase gets mobbed on Friday and Saturday evenings during the festival. Best time to go and enjoy it is on weekdays.

I'd say, if they can't pronounce the drink, they shouldn't be served. And I've seen many drunks at F&W that were obviously DRUNK and still getting served.
I also don't think it's my job to point out to Disney that they are serving drunks. The CM aren't blind ! Then there are ALL the security cams all over the park. I don't see how serving drunks makes WDW "The Happiest Place on Earth" nor a "Family Destination". WDW has become a shill to the bottom line. They don't care about "image" anymore just $$$$ IMHO

I started this thread, and I read everyones comments. Many of you are right about WHEN to go, I know now I choose the wrong day to go, I would never do it on a weekend again, I love the F&W fest so in the future I will go on a week day. I will say that me personally it would not have bothered me if my son wasn't with me. NO MOTHER wants to see or hear things like that while in there company.

As for me complaining I choose not to, maybe I should of but I didn't. I didn't choose to complain on the boards to give Disney a bad name or anything like that, I just thought some people would want to know. I hope I didn't affend anyone. ;)

When I said that I didn't want to go to the F&W Festival again, it has only a small part that can be attributed to the "power drinking" younger crowds that we saw getting rowdy on a Friday night. The main reason is that, while we enjoyed it once, it wasn't worth our time to do again.

When we first planned this trip, it was supposed to have been a once in a lifetime splurge for my 40th. We stayed at the Poly, we did enjoy some of the F&W fest, and we did the DDP, which made sense for us to be doing because for once, we could figure out a good use for all of those DDP snack credits. In the year that followed.....after it was scheduled and booked, we found out that Gabby was allergic to lots of foods, which made the F&W fest a mine field. I got really sick.....like still not 100% and I got sick at the end of July kind of sick....and while I drank some, I just wasn't up to trying everything that I would have liked too have tried. We had a great time overall, but it's not what I would ever try to do again.

We have decided that we like being Value Season guests. We love December at WDW. I think that we will be spending more vacations at WDW in December in the future. I can say that I had my birthday at WDW now. I even got to see fireworks on my birthday.

Would I make a special effort to complain to Disney about what rowdy and drunk folks we did see.....not really because none of it affected me so strongly as to make me that mad or that uncomfortable. It was a Friday night at the F&W fest......drinking people becoming drunk people is not a stretch. The night we were at the F&W earlier in the week was a rained out nightmare.....also not Disney's fault or worth complaining about. The main focus in my mind remains on the positives of the trip. Maggie

I'm gonna get flamed for this but .... more than likely .... it was locals behaving like that. On another hand, it is out of towners acting up more than the locals on Bourbon St. for Mardi Gras. Just MHO.

Dude

Unfortunately whenever you have the ready availability of booze and a "happy" environment it's a recipe for disaster. I've seen it during Mardi gras, NYE in time square and at the F&W festival. I think people just think because it's disney it won't happen. Booze beats out pixie dust every time.

I'm gonna get flamed for this but .... more than likely .... it was locals behaving like that. On another hand, it is out of towners acting up more than the locals on Bourbon St. for Mardi Gras. Just MHO.

Dude

Dude, I won't flame you...but I don't agree with you. It is not just because I'm a local. I've been to F&W several times this year...several times on weekends. I've seen good and bad behavior by folks from many places. Over time, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out where folks are from. Some things just give it away. Often times, I'll here folks talking about their hotel or plans to hit other parks. Those folks are not locals. I'll hear them talking about going home on a certain date or airlines, etc. Anyway, I'm sure there are locals who misbehave, but they are not the majority.

Perhaps it was because we were at the first weekend of F & W, and attended Party of the Senses that we didn't see all the drunken behavior others are describing. I think next year we'll visit mid-October, and I'll be interested to see if the Saturday crowds are badly behaved.

While it is unfortunate that people have had a bad time at F&W to the point they wont return, in my opinion it just comes with the territory. It is the Food an WINE festival afterall. Alcohol is obviously a large part of the offering, and anytime that is the case there are going to be drunks. Its no different than going to a bar. There will be a certain percentage of drunks, but the majority are there simply enjoying themselves. If you go to a bar on Tuesday, there are probably less drunks than on a Friday or Saturday, but they are still there. Same thing applies here. Just MHO...

Hi everyone, we were at the food and wine fest on 11/10........it was super crowded.

WELL...my 12 year old son had experience Donald Duck get a LAP DANCE...yes that's right a LAP DANCE...........to him it was funny, he's a young man now............for me I was mortified. I could not believe how many people that were there DRUNK, I'm not a prude, and if I wasn't with my son it probably wouldn't of bothered me.....but I was with my son.........THAT WAS MEXICO.

A good friend of mine was there that day and saw what you saw. When Donald was back from his break and was walking out, all the adults at the beginning of the line were calling out his name really loudly, with drinks in their hands.

Donald did not give the lap dance, by any means. All he did was pose for pictures like he was supposed to do, completely sober.

For anyone who does want to bring any concerns about their experiences at WDW to Disney's attention here's the info:

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

As noted, more security and stricter serving guidelines could make a difference in some of the behavior that some witnessed. That won't likely get implemented unless enough people make a fuss.

Disney takes all complaints and guest satisfaction very seriously.

Knox

We were at F&W during the last weekend. It was very crowded but most everyone behaved fine. By the time we got around to UK, there were some rowdy people and young people were definitely drunk. I didn't see anything offensive though. I wish we could have gone during the week, but we arrived during the last weekend.

Dude, I won't flame you...but I don't agree with you. It is not just because I'm a local. I've been to F&W several times this year...several times on weekends. I've seen good and bad behavior by folks from many places. Over time, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out where folks are from. Some things just give it away. Often times, I'll here folks talking about their hotel or plans to hit other parks. Those folks are not locals. I'll hear them talking about going home on a certain date or airlines, etc. Anyway, I'm sure there are locals who misbehave, but they are not the majority.

I mentioned this to my DH and he agrees with you. We love the Food & Wine Festival and have really not seen much rowdy behavior, but it's our opinion that if the locals want to drink, they can do it much cheaper elsewhere. We go for the wonderful extra events they have, the interesting food items, the fun atmosphere and yes, we do taste a few of the various alcoholic beverages, but i think that it's more likely people with a "it's our vacation" attitude that will spend the bucks for the alcohol at these events.
As noted we're from MN, but it's our favorite event at Disney and we love EPCOT in particular.

The only other thing I did think about is that often here on the DIS people talk about getting this drink or that at certain countries or "drinking around the world" etc. I think this is something that you can find easily any time of year in World Showcase, since alcoholic beverages are always readily available at each venue between margaritas, beer at Germany, and England and Wine in Italy and France. Plus it's much cheaper and in bigger portions year round. In all of Disney World, I think World Showcase is the most "adult" in things to do and atmosphere, and especially in the evening it's very nice just sitting in some corner enjoying a drink. Of course there are always those that will take it too far, no matter what time of year.

I mentioned this to my DH and he agrees with you. We love the Food & Wine Festival and have really not seen much rowdy behavior, but it's our opinion that if the locals want to drink, they can do it much cheaper elsewhere.

I agree with this! But there is a big mix of locals and guests. Most of the day it's fine. It was way too crowded for me on the weekend evenings. During the day, it's no big deal. A few people can still get rowdy, but generally it's pretty calm (except for weekend nights).

I was also there on 11/10 and I was very surprised at the crowds and the rowdiness. Epcot is my favorite and this was my husband's and my first time at the F&W festival, and all I know is that we will not be taking our kids to the F&W festival until they are much older. There were people cursing, slurring their words, and being absoultely rowdy.
What brings me comfort is knowing that Epcot is not like this ALL year round, only during this particular festival. There is nothing wrong with drinking, but public intoxication is not lawly, and the place where I would least expect this type of behavior from adults is at Disney.
One of the reasons why I love Disney compared to Universal is because people aren't wasted walking through the parks, as in Universal. Disney has done a good job in seperating adult fun from familly fun.
In all, I was dissapointed, and will not be returning with my children.
You're kidding right? :rolleyes1

I was also there on 11/10 and I was very surprised at the crowds and the rowdiness. Epcot is my favorite and this was my husband's and my first time at the F&W festival, and all I know is that we will not be taking our kids to the F&W festival until they are much older. There were people cursing, slurring their words, and being absoultely rowdy.
What brings me comfort is knowing that Epcot is not like this ALL year round, only during this particular festival. There is nothing wrong with drinking, but public intoxication is not lawly, and the place where I would least expect this type of behavior from adults is at Disney.
One of the reasons why I love Disney compared to Universal is because people aren't wasted walking through the parks, as in Universal. Disney has done a good job in seperating adult fun from familly fun.
In all, I was dissapointed, and will not be returning with my children.

NOT EVERYONE who visits Universal is wasted walking through the parks and I think you used a very poor choice of words to describe your experience. :mad:

A good friend of mine was there that day and saw what you saw. When Donald was back from his break and was walking out, all the adults at the beginning of the line were calling out his name really loudly, with drinks in their hands.

Donald did not give the lap dance, by any means. All he did was pose for pictures like he was supposed to do, completely sober.

Was she there with her kids, 2 kids and her husband, because it was me and that family and then the group of drunk people......oh! my what a small world (no pun intended):thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter