epcot EMH @ spring break-too optimistic?

cricket00

Earning My Ears
we're heading down next week! :cool1:

we'll be first time visitors, so i'm uncertain what to really expect, especially given the insane spring break crowds. if we plan to hit rope drop during morning EMH at epcot (currently at a 7 on TP that day), is this plan realistic or just optimistic?

Rope Drop @ 8
Soarin' (grab FP on the way out)
Test Track
Mission: Space
Pixie Hollow by 9:30 a.m. (so DD can see tink before crazy lines!)
The Seas w/Nemo and Turtle Talk w/Crush (9:40 is the 1st show)
Captain EO (b/c i'm a child of the 80's, of course! :woohoo:)
Akershus (breakfast reservation at 10:55...arrive by 10:40 a.m.)

can we do it? if not, what would you swap out?
any help you can give us would be appreciated....thank you! :)

If you get there at rope drop, you should be able to do a lot in the first hour or so. Since you have never been, its hard to help since I don't know what your favorites are yet :) I would recommened going right to Soarin and getting a FP, then riding (assuming the line isn't more than 15 minutes) because chances are you will want to ride it again. Also, even if you don't I don't see plans for another FP so you would just not use it. Then I would head straight to Test Track and since Mission Space is close you can get that done too. Then I would go straight to the fairies.

If you ever run low on time, you can always come back to Captain EO, Nemo, and Figment-Journey Into The Imagination (you should see that too) do them later. Even if it is crowded, they are continous so lines should move pretty quickly.

You also can't forget Spaceship Earth! Its in the big white ball! Have fun!

If you have an energetic & quick walking (no running) person who can gather tickets from everyone in your group after the turnstiles - they can quickly hoof to Soarin' and get FPs for the group - while everyone else takes a liesurely stroll to TT. The person with the FP for Soarin' quickly walks back to TT and meets up with group - and TT becomes #1, then MS #2, and by then you are nearing your early Soarin' FP time - if you are running early, hit Nemo before Soarin', or do Pixie hollw before it instead. Or you could just grab a bite for breakfast in the Land Pavillion.

Short of this, you should do soarin' first and then TT and MS.

I think the FP method will get you through the big 3 the fastest though. Unless your whole group is quick, the wait at soarin' can be a slight delay even at rope drop. It seems to usually be at least 20 minutes even with a FP, and I can see enough people ahead of you to make the standby that long QUICKLY after rope drop. This time as well as the walk back across will add time to let the stand-by line at TT grow to be larger than it would have without riding Soarin' first.

Don't underestimate the distance in EPCOT - crisscrossing back and forth or end to end is a real hike if you do it too much. Keep that to a minimum, and if you have enough time in your schedule, dedicate 2 days to EPCOT so you don't have to see it all in one.

Have a magical trip!

You also can't forget Spaceship Earth! Its in the big white ball! Have fun!

oh, we won't....this is just the schedule for our morning. we'll come back when the crowds are lower (late afternoon/early evening) for spaceship earth. ;)

If you have an energetic & quick walking (no running) person who can gather tickets from everyone in your group after the turnstiles - they can quickly hoof to Soarin' and get FPs for the group - while everyone else takes a liesurely stroll to TT. The person with the FP for Soarin' quickly walks back to TT and meets up with group - and TT becomes #1, then MS #2, and by then you are nearing your early Soarin' FP time - if you are running early, hit Nemo before Soarin', or do Pixie hollw before it instead. Or you could just grab a bite for breakfast in the Land Pavillion.

Short of this, you should do soarin' first and then TT and MS.

I think the FP method will get you through the big 3 the fastest though. Unless your whole group is quick, the wait at soarin' can be a slight delay even at rope drop. It seems to usually be at least 20 minutes even with a FP, and I can see enough people ahead of you to make the standby that long QUICKLY after rope drop. This time as well as the walk back across will add time to let the stand-by line at TT grow to be larger than it would have without riding Soarin' first.

Don't underestimate the distance in EPCOT - crisscrossing back and forth or end to end is a real hike if you do it too much. Keep that to a minimum, and if you have enough time in your schedule, dedicate 2 days to EPCOT so you don't have to see it all in one.

Have a magical trip!

ooooh....great points! so you think it would be best to send a runner for soarin' FPs and then everyone meets up at TT? it makes sense, especially b/c we have little ones with us. that would certainly minimize their walking.

oh, we won't....this is just the schedule for our morning. we'll come back when the crowds are lower (late afternoon/early evening) for spaceship earth. ;)

ooooh....great points! so you think it would be best to send a runner for soarin' FPs and then everyone meets up at TT? it makes sense, especially b/c we have little ones with us. that would certainly minimize their walking.

We always do this - my husband is a FAST walker though and he almost beats us back to TT - It takes a few minutes to get on Soarin even if you are the head of the pack (which with little ones you will not be). All those CMs walking you there have to get in position before they start the ride so it can be 10-15 minutes once you get there before you get on.

I would get the Soarin FP, ride TT, check the time and maybe do MS BUT I would make it a HUGE priority to be in that line for the fairies EARLY. Those lines get long and stay long!

Liz

We always do this - my husband is a FAST walker though and he almost beats us back to TT - It takes a few minutes to get on Soarin even if you are the head of the pack (which with little ones you will not be). All those CMs walking you there have to get in position before they start the ride so it can be 10-15 minutes once you get there before you get on.

I would get the Soarin FP, ride TT, check the time and maybe do MS BUT I would make it a HUGE priority to be in that line for the fairies EARLY. Those lines get long and stay long!

Liz

wow. so it looks like, regardless of how close you are to the front of the line at RD, soarin' still takes a while to set up....potentially losing 20 or so minutes for one ride? well, that's great information! thank you!

in that case, i'll run to soarin', pick up FPs, and then meet my family back at TT. then if MS is super quick, we'll ride. if not, we'll high-tail it back to the fairies. :thumbsup2

wow. so it looks like, regardless of how close you are to the front of the line at RD, soarin' still takes a while to set up....potentially losing 20 or so minutes for one ride? well, that's great information! thank you!

in that case, i'll run to soarin', pick up FPs, and then meet my family back at TT. then if MS is super quick, we'll ride. if not, we'll high-tail it back to the fairies. :thumbsup2

It's a walk through the building, through the queue, into your loading areas, short preshow, into the theatre and then the show. Plus then out the theatre and back up through the building and outside. It is worth it but it takes awhile - and actually many of the big rides and pavillions at Epcot are like that.

Have you been to Epcot? The pavillions are huge and although you might be able to see from here to there it takes awhile to get there, in line, loaded up, etc.

We will be there too! Have a good trip.

Liz

It's a walk through the building, through the queue, into your loading areas, short preshow, into the theatre and then the show. Plus then out the theatre and back up through the building and outside. It is worth it but it takes awhile - and actually many of the big rides and pavillions at Epcot are like that.

Have you been to Epcot? The pavillions are huge and although you might be able to see from here to there it takes awhile to get there, in line, loaded up, etc.

We will be there too! Have a good trip.

Liz

no, we've never been....it's the first time for all of us!
thanks so much for your advice. have a good trip! :)

Also try rope drop on a non emh, low crowd day. Will go a long way to a more relaxing, less mission like vacation.

Also try rope drop on a non emh, low crowd day. Will go a long way to a more relaxing, less mission like vacation.

very true. but we're only there for 3 days and, since our kids are little, are dedicating the other 2 days to MK. next time, maybe! ;)

MS usually doesn't get backed up until much later. The fairies and/or character stop area will be by FAR the worst lines. You may even want to line up 30 mins in advance for fairies. When we were there a few weeks ago they were alternating fairies so if you wanted to see all you had to go through twice at the right time. Being the first time in the parks you need to realize that things will take you a bit longer because you aren't totally sure of which path to take and how far things are. If you are doing Capt EO right before your breakfast make sure to leave yourself at least 20 mins walking time as it takes longer to walk than it looks on the map.

You definitely won't be able to do all those things before breakfast but you should be able to get most especially if you work FP to your best advantage. If hubby runs for Soarin first thing you may be able to get another set of FPs before breakfast so that after you'll have 2 sets.

Last year was our first trip during the Easter Spring break and I was nervous!! I am a Dis board junkie, so I knew it was the worst time of the year to go. But! following the advise of Disers, my husband and I both agreed that it was a fantastic trip!! One big plus is the weather. We like the first weeks of Dec. for our touring, but the spring weather was so lovely! Cool and fresh. And the flowers were fantastic! The advice I followed was this:
Get there 45 min. before rope drop! We actually were already in line to ride Soarin when the park "officially" opened. They know that the crowds will be staggering and they will let people in sooner.
2. Have a plan. What rides are must do? ect.
3. Go home or to the hotel and take a swim and a nap. The first day we didnt do this and everyone was too tired to go after about 5 pm.

Because we got there early, we were able to do tons of rides before the parks got really crowded. But when they got crowded, whew! they were crowded. At 11 am. on a Tues, MK was so crowded we could barely walk thru Fantasy Land.
Have a great trip!!

MS usually doesn't get backed up until much later. The fairies and/or character stop area will be by FAR the worst lines. You may even want to line up 30 mins in advance for fairies. When we were there a few weeks ago they were alternating fairies so if you wanted to see all you had to go through twice at the right time. Being the first time in the parks you need to realize that things will take you a bit longer because you aren't totally sure of which path to take and how far things are. If you are doing Capt EO right before your breakfast make sure to leave yourself at least 20 mins walking time as it takes longer to walk than it looks on the map.

You definitely won't be able to do all those things before breakfast but you should be able to get most especially if you work FP to your best advantage. If hubby runs for Soarin first thing you may be able to get another set of FPs before breakfast so that after you'll have 2 sets.

that's a good point on the fairies.

if RD is at 8, do you think we could make it to both TT and MS in 30 minutes? (leaving the other half hour to line up for fairies?) if not, we'll just line up after TT and plan on MS later in the day.

Last year was our first trip during the Easter Spring break and I was nervous!! I am a Dis board junkie, so I knew it was the worst time of the year to go. But! following the advise of Disers, my husband and I both agreed that it was a fantastic trip!! One big plus is the weather. We like the first weeks of Dec. for our touring, but the spring weather was so lovely! Cool and fresh. And the flowers were fantastic! The advice I followed was this:
Get there 45 min. before rope drop! We actually were already in line to ride Soarin when the park "officially" opened. They know that the crowds will be staggering and they will let people in sooner.
2. Have a plan. What rides are must do? ect.
3. Go home or to the hotel and take a swim and a nap. The first day we didnt do this and everyone was too tired to go after about 5 pm.

Because we got there early, we were able to do tons of rides before the parks got really crowded. But when they got crowded, whew! they were crowded. At 11 am. on a Tues, MK was so crowded we could barely walk thru Fantasy Land.
Have a great trip!!

really? that's GREAT! do you remember what time RD was scheduled and what time it actually happened?

that's a good point on the fairies.

if RD is at 8, do you think we could make it to both TT and MS in 30 minutes? (leaving the other half hour to line up for fairies?) if not, we'll just line up after TT and plan on MS later in the day.

really? that's GREAT! do you remember what time RD was scheduled and what time it actually happened?

No - TT and MS are right next to each other but TT is another one of those buildings that has a long line to go through and then a queue and then another line while you get in your cars. It moves quickly early but its still a bit of time.

MS moves much faster (if it isn't busy) but they still both take time.

Best case scenario is you can do them both in 40 minutes.

I do agree lining up for Tink is a priority.

Depending on what time your FP return time is for Soarin' you might be able to get you MS FP (not always needed but you will be right there) after you come off of TT and before you line up for Tink.

My daughter works at Soarin' and they do occasionally open early for whoever is out front but typically it is Christmas/New Years week/Easter.

They haven't done it yet for this Spring Break period and I wouldn't expect them too until the two Easter weeks so I wouldn't count on that happening.
Liz

No - TT and MS are right next to each other but TT is another one of those buildings that has a long line to go through and then a queue and then another line while you get in your cars. It moves quickly early but its still a bit of time.

MS moves much faster (if it isn't busy) but they still both take time.

Best case scenario is you can do them both in 40 minutes.

I do agree lining up for Tink is a priority.

Depending on what time your FP return time is for Soarin' you might be able to get you MS FP (not always needed but you will be right there) after you come off of TT and before you line up for Tink.

My daughter works at Soarin' and they do occasionally open early for whoever is out front but typically it is Christmas/New Years week/Easter.

They haven't done it yet for this Spring Break period and I wouldn't expect them too until the two Easter weeks so I wouldn't count on that happening.
Liz

so cool that your daughter works at soarin'! and thanks for saving me an extra hour of sleep....i definitely would've planned for the best-case scenario and had my kiddos up at the crack of dawn. ;)

i'll keep the fairies as a priority and line up 30 minutes early. if we can squeeze in MS after TT, we'll do it. but if not, we'll grab an FP (assuming that the window is open by then) and head over to tink.

thank you so, so much for all your help. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter