Epcot Divequest: yes or no?

Tink135

Earning My Ears
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has had any type of experience with the Epcot Divequest? I'm planning on getting my scuba license before my family's next trip, and am hoping that I can afford to do this! I would just like to know if anybody reccomends the experience or not? Thanks!

Well, my dad and stepmother did this back in 1999 for my dad's 70th birthday. Both of them were and are master captains and have owned their own dive shop in the Florida Keys, took out many people for certification, have traveled around the world for dives. In other words, they know the dive experience.

Disney Dive Quest? On their top five dives of all time. They still rave about it, they still show the video (yeah, they still have a VCR). They loved it, 100%

Is it worth it? I'd say yes. And for anyone going with you, it's worth it for them. Your family or friends will be part of everything with you. I think I had as much fun as my dad and stepmother did.

I highly recommend it the experience. Highly. More than highly.

Hi!
I did Divequest back in the 90's and LOVED it!! Yes, worth every penny. One of the best dives ever and super fun to entertain the diners by doing flips with the fish.
Gonna go watch my video tonight! Yup, still have a VCR here too! Probably one of the best experiences at WDW I have ever had. Honestly.

I did DiveQuest in 2007. I have PADI Open Water certification but I am not a very experienced diver. I loved it and would wholeheartedly recomend it. You can now buy a DVD of your dive;) The cast members are great, they have a lot of fun with you. They encourage you to interact with guests outside the glass and the diners in the Coral Reef restaurant (it apparently improves the tipping if the divers add to the dining experience:fish: ). Make sure your family are there to see you.

I have done DiveQuest 3 times and have loved it each time. It is really great. I especially love swimming next to the sharks! People think I'm crazy. One time, the spotted eagle ray started coming at my head and it kinda freaked me out a little, but it ended up turning away about 1 inch from my face. I would definitely recommend this. It is also great and fun to see some of the backstage areas as well. I'm still looking for all of the hidden mickey's in the tank....

We did the DiveQuest in the late 90's. I'm PADI Master Diver certified while my wife had her Advanced OW certification. This was shortly after her open water dives so she didn't have a lot of actual dive experience. With that as background, we both loved it. It was a very easy dive so novices will have no difficulty. And there was so much to see in the tank, plus interacting with people on the other side of the glass, that everybody will be sad when it comes to an end.

Just a suggestion to a new diver - try to spend some time working on your buoyancy skills beforehand. This is true for all dives, but especially so in such a shallow environment where small vertical excursions make a big change in volume in your BCD.

Another couple of notes. You will be paired up with a buddy if you don't already have one. Make sure your family is there when you check in as they will be given instructions on exactly where to be when the dive starts. They will want to be right at the glass at least five minutes before that as once those divers hit the water, the other guests will crowd in to see them so your family could be crowded out for their shots. I politely explained things and was given free reign which was nice but you never know. At one point in the controlled dive portion (the first part), each diver will be able to go up to the glass (which hopefully you can see your family members) and interact with them. This is all caught on the recording that you can buy after. For my dad and me, it was him "shaking" my hand since this was my present to him. Another guy took off his regulator and blew his wife a kiss.

Also, if you do have family members with you, I would suggest you meet up after somewhere outside of the Living Seas. We waited a long time for the divers to get through the post dive stuff and there's only so much you can do at the Living Seas.

Another couple of notes. You will be paired up with a buddy if you don't already have one. Make sure your family is there when you check in as they will be given instructions on exactly where to be when the dive starts.
Yep, really good info the 'behind the scenes' part didnt take NEARLY as long as we thought it would and they almost missed part of the dive, as a matter of fact part of the family did miss it!

They will want to be right at the glass at least five minutes before that as once those divers hit the water, the other guests will crowd in to see them so your family could be crowded out for their shots. I politely explained things and was given free reign which was nice but you never know.

That's great that they 'gave way' to you!! but yep, another great tip!

At one point in the controlled dive portion (the first part), each diver will be able to go up to the glass (which hopefully you can see your family members) and interact with them. This is all caught on the recording that you can buy after. For my dad and me, it was him "shaking" my hand since this was my present to him. Another guy took off his regulator and blew his wife a kiss.

THIS!!! This is what makes the dive soooo much fun IMO.. the sealife is awesome, but the interaction with the people 'on land' and the video of you with your family is simple awesome.. yes the DVD is $35.. you do get to watch it first, but as soon as I saw my families expressions, especially my moms I KNEW we were buying it!!

Also, if you do have family members with you, I would suggest you meet up after somewhere outside of the Living Seas. We waited a long time for the divers to get through the post dive stuff and there's only so much you can do at the Living Seas.
We were lucky, we had my mom, my wife and my brothers wife (and my brother and I) and they allowed them to 'hang out' after the dive and watch the video. If you dont have kids with you you MAY get to do that but dont expect it
Last and most important, have a great time, it's a really fun experience, make sure you explore the tank, breath slowly to make it last and for sure interact with the crowd, trust me, it REALLY makes their day. My family was talking about the reactions people had when we'd interact.. It's special to them also.. Dont forget to go watch people eating too :) It creeps some of the people out, which makes it worth it. All the money for the dive goes to their conservation fund so that's just a bonus.. I wish they did shirts, but when we did it, it was just a string backpack, which was ok.

My daughter did DiveQuest several years ago shortly after returning from a trip to Austrailia where she got her PADI certification on the Great Barrier Reef. Said that the Dive Quest experience surpassed her experiences on the reef ... sounds like an endorsement to me. she has since done several more dives in a variety of places and DiveQuest is still one of her faves.:)

My DH got his Diver Certification in Okinawa, Japan. Gave him Divequest for an anniversary present, and like a pp said, it ranks in his top 5 dives. He was thrilled, enjoyed every minute of it, and still pops the video in occasionally.:goodvibes

Well I can't do DiveQuest because I doubt that I'll have the time to get certified before my upcoming trip (exactly 3 months from yesterday!), but was hoping to be able to do the The Seas Aqua Tour while I'm there. Does anybody have any experiences with that? I've been trying to come up with some unique and interesting things to do on this upcoming trip, and I figured a snorkeling excursion in the Seas pavilion sounded perfect. But at $140 per person, I just want to make sure the whole thing is worth it.

Well I can't do DiveQuest because I doubt that I'll have the time to get certified before my upcoming trip (exactly 3 months from yesterday!), but was hoping to be able to do the The Seas Aqua Tour while I'm there. Does anybody have any experiences with that? I've been trying to come up with some unique and interesting things to do on this upcoming trip, and I figured a snorkeling excursion in the Seas pavilion sounded perfect. But at $140 per person, I just want to make sure the whole thing is worth it.

I cant comment on that tour, but you could be scuba certified in 3 months easily IF it was something you actually wanted to do.. From the time I decided to actually do it, til the time I was certified was less then 2 weeks :D
The time from first class to last check out dive was 6 days :D

Divequest was great. I think I enjoyed interacting with the guests on the other side of the glass as a temporary CM as much as I did the animals. I was giving kids high-fives, waving the people in Coral Reef, turning somersaults. The sea life is amazing -- up close with eagle rays, turtles, sharks -- but being part of the exhibit is equally interesting.

PHXscuba

Did it many years ago. Was expensive then (sure it's more now) but it was a blast. I really enjoyed being part of the show and interacting with guests on the other side of the glass.

That's the best part, diving in the aquarium isn't that big of a deal but being part of the show is.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has had any type of experience with the Epcot Divequest? I'm planning on getting my scuba license before my family's next trip, and am hoping that I can afford to do this! I would just like to know if anybody reccomends the experience or not? Thanks!

A friend I did my master diver certification with had just gotten back from his trip it and said it was awesome. He also said NAUI divers get a discount, so if you haven't signed up for scuba class yet you might consider finding a NAUI program.

There is also (at least as of last year) a Disney VISA discount and I think a AAA discount. Probably an annual pass discount? Ask if you book -- they won't just tell you. I think the discounts were around 20 percent.

PHXscuba

Booked the Divequest next month for my birthday!
AP holders get a 10% discount off the regular price - not sure about the Visa card discount ( I forgot to ask about that one).
Can't wait! :banana:

There is also (at least as of last year) a Disney VISA discount and I think a AAA discount. Probably an annual pass discount? Ask if you book -- they won't just tell you. I think the discounts were around 20 percent.

PHXscuba

There is a AAA discount. I'm just not sure how much it is.

Visa gets 20%, my sister was making our ressies, but since she wasnt one of the ones diving, she couldnt get the discount.. but since my wife and i are diving, and we are DVC members, the CM allowed her the 15% discount for DVC... (he looked and saw we were staying at kidani and asked about DVC and she told him we are the DVC members..)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter