• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPCOT days gone by

I agree with you. Horizons* really did go nicely with Walt's fondness of nostalgia and futurism. I still love Epcot, but it boggles my mind that they tore out the heart of Future World. World of Motion and Communicore are also sorely missed by me.

The exhibit you are talking about closed last fall. Here's a link to a few snapshots I took of the exhibit when I visited last August. I'm sure you can find even more on flickr.

*There are a couple of crazy guys who obsessively documented Horizons durings its last days by sneaking off the ride and wandering around the building. They have a fascinating blog called Mesa Verde Times. I love checking out their photos and videos. If you enjoy original EPCOT Center attractions, you'll get a kick out of it.

Checked out your photos and I think they are spectacular, I'm really bummed I missed it. It looked pretty well executed. Would be great if the video footage was relaeased on DVD, maybe a Disney Treasures Collection. Thank you for sharing! and remember, It's fun to be free! :goodvibes

Loved the original JII like everyone else who rode it. But the overall pavilion has gone down in general, it had so much more to offer in the past (it seemed.)

I really loved the upstairs exhibits, which are gone. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it reminded me of a hands on museum. There was a light tube you walked through, a giant pin thing (where you push up on the pins to see your hand.) And lots of other stuff. There is some interactive stuff downstairs now, but nearly as much variety wise or as interesting. I spent a ton of time there with my family.

I also loved the "True Colors" preshow. I think this was for the HISA show, but there were a few times I went in for the preshow alone. I do have fond memories of Captian EO, but that was due for a change and the Honey show was good at the time, but now I think it is time for a change again.

How is the new SE rehab? Last trip was '06. My folks said they liked it. I guess you can pick your own language now of the narration?

Yes. Thanks for all the links. EPCOT is my favorite, and I love walking down memory lane with all this stuff.

Let's move on to FW. Who misses the original Journey Into Imagination?

I miss it. I wish they would bring it back, but I don't think that will ever happen. :sad1:

How is the new SE rehab? Last trip was '06. My folks said they liked it. I guess you can pick your own language now of the narration?

No, not of the narration, just the crappy animation that follows the top view of spaceship earth. The narration is in English only, courtesy of Dame Judy Dench.

^^^OK. Expound, please. The word "crappy" concerns me. Did they damage my wonderful Spaceship Earth?

Sorry, there was so much written on here when it reopened that I forget some people don't know. IMHO, they really cheaped out on the ending by taking away all of the interesting visual elements and instead having you stare at a screen, first answering questions, and then watching "your future" until you are at the bottom. The animation is like the e-surance commercials, only sillier. It's cute, not terrible, but not fitting. The rest of the ride is pretty nicely cleaned up, although some changed things are slightly odd, it's just the ending where they seemingly crapped out. Some people do like it, so just see what you think. If you're not getting there soon, I'm sure there are videos on you-tube. There's also one ending where your animated self passes by a future version of Disneyland and a reference to the Carousel of Progress, but I had to answer the total opposite of what I would have normally, so I can't tell you how to get that ending.

Thought this would bring back a lot of memories.

FW%2BMickey%2Band%2BCo.jpg

Thought this would bring back a lot of memories.

FW%2BMickey%2Band%2BCo.jpg

'Sigh'

I too used to like the old Communicore too...I remember making dinner reservations there once and talking directly to a person on a TV screen, I was little but I thought it was the greatest thing, I think I thought I was in the future when I went to Epcot.

I'm thinking that part of our problem now is that technology is moving too fast, if they tried to keep up, attractions would be updated every 6 months...but I'd still like to see a newer version of Horizons...maybe the new end of SE is sort of up that alley

No, not of the narration, just the crappy animation that follows the top view of spaceship earth. The narration is in English only, courtesy of Dame Judy Dench.

The narration is available in other languages. I listened to it in French on my last trip. It wasn't just the movie at the end, but the whole attraction.

So (as was mentioned by another poster) they took one of the aspects of Horizons that we loved, and added it to the end of SE, only with poor production qualities? That's too bad.

^^^Love the photos of '80s EPCOT

I agree that technology is moving so fast rehabs would have to occur too often to be cost effective. But that's why I think the time is right for another Horizons-ish pavilion. Place it at least 20 years in the future. They could gut WoL if they're not bringing it back.

The only pavilion that was supposed to have a ride was Germany!! The bill was too high to add an attraction so they nixed the plan. As for Japan, that is where they store the pyro for Illuminations!!

The only pavilion that was supposed to have a ride was Germany!! The bill was too high to add an attraction so they nixed the plan. As for Japan, that is where they store the pyro for Illuminations!!

Didn't I read somewhere that the "control room" for Illuminations is above the Mexico pavilion? Just wondering.

Hopefully the economy will turn around and they can get some new sponsorship for pavilions.

Back to SE again. Did they change anything else, or just clean things up? I was so thankful when they cleaned up PotC.

Where was it that the guy with the purple suit and red beard was driving a train and you stood in front of a green background and your image was put on the monitor in front of you and you had to run in place and jump as you were runing on the train. (wow that's confusing even to me!) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Where was that and what was it called?

The narration is available in other languages. I listened to it in French on my last trip. It wasn't just the movie at the end, but the whole attraction.

I can vouch for this as our language selection was "stuck" on French....and we don't speak a word of French :rotfl2:

In any event, it was neat to disengage from the narration (I prefer Jeremy Irons anyway,) and just enjoy the attraction.

China already has a CircleVision 360 theater that takes up it's large interior space.

Epcot-Norway-China_BE.jpg

Yes, looks like there are some large "show-buildings" at both Japan
and Germany. (Presumably in search of a "ride.")

Epcot-USA-Japan-ShowBldg.jpg

Epcot-Germany_ShowBldg.jpg

do you know the web site where theese pics are from

Not true.

The building in Japan might be used for storage, but it was built to house a bullet-train simulator ride that would have simulated a ride from Tokyo through Japan's countryside with "moving" windows surrounding you. The moving windows will be put to work on Star Tours II, but for now Star Tours II is only for Anaheim and Tokyo.

Concept art form the never-built Japan bullet train attraction:
Bullet-train-interior.jpg

And the never-built Germany ride:
german-rhine-boat-ride.jpg

If Disney ever starts caring about World Showcase again, the space is there to build both attractions.

"but for now Star Tours II is only for Anaheim and Tokyo."

Where did you hear this? and considering all of the Star Wars stuff they do at DHS why wouldnt they bring the new ride there. The old one is sooooooooooo old and played out...I was there in May and Star Tours was completely empty, DHS needs something to change there

Well I'll have to try that next time! I did not know.
Where was it that the guy with the purple suit and red beard was driving a train and you stood in front of a green background and your image was put on the monitor in front of you and you had to run in place and jump as you were runing on the train. (wow that's confusing even to me!) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Where was that and what was it called?
That guy was Dreamfinder, and it was in the top level of the Imageworks after the JIA ride. It was an "acting school."

What was the Odyssey Restaurant like? Was there a specific theme? Type of food? I always liked the look of the building, but never got around to trying it before it was gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter