• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPCOT days gone by

I miss the older EPCOT attractions. Horizons and Cranium Command. I'm glad the hand is gone from SE and if they would get rid of the tombstones in front of it I would be thrilled!

agree agree agree, 10000000% agree!!!

ME TOO!!-

I may be alone on this one but i miss World of Motion and Communicore. But i think you are right about Figment being the face of Epcot. And although i wasn't the biggest fan of the Living Seas i agree about everything being tied to a movie...why? Some things are better left alone

I thought the "trip" to SeaBase Alpha was great and it fit in better with original idea of Epcot...

But nobody visited Living Seas.

The attraction was virtually deserted for at least a decade.

Now, it's busy.

IMHO, of all the attractions in Epcot, then and now, Horizons was the one that was the most in line with the vision of Walt Disney, and the original EPCOT Center concept. (meaning the concept as a theme park, of course the original concept of EPCOT was a living, breathing community.) The que at Horizons always moved quickly, the story and the songs were so original and as a kid I really enjoyed it...didn't even realize I was learning until I was much older! At it's peak Horizon was the showpiece of Future World...sad that it became dated and couldn't find sponsorship to finance an update.

World of Motion, the original Journey Into Imagination, Kitchen Kaberet, and the preshow to the old Universe of Energy...I loved that song about energy!

I feel like Epcot was so much more creative and original back in the day instead of now when they insist on pairing attractions with their movies that have nothing to do with the Epcot Center concept of future, innovation, and the ideas of tomorrow.

I was reading somewhere that at the end of 2008 there was an exhibit called The Epcot Gallery somewhere near Innoventions...does anyone know if that is still there? or was it a temporary thing? It sounds really interesting...

I agree with you. Horizons* really did go nicely with Walt's fondness of nostalgia and futurism. I still love Epcot, but it boggles my mind that they tore out the heart of Future World. World of Motion and Communicore are also sorely missed by me.

The exhibit you are talking about closed last fall. Here's a link to a few snapshots I took of the exhibit when I visited last August. I'm sure you can find even more on flickr.

*There are a couple of crazy guys who obsessively documented Horizons durings its last days by sneaking off the ride and wandering around the building. They have a fascinating blog called Mesa Verde Times. I love checking out their photos and videos. If you enjoy original EPCOT Center attractions, you'll get a kick out of it.

I was the one who mentioned Journey... being too long. What I meant was "they" probably thought it was too long. "I" could have spent a whole day riding it over and over again.

TLS: So do they even have the pre-show movie anymore? All the "welcome...to Seabase Alpha" sutff? That sort of creeped me out the first time. I was young, a poor swimmer, and really bought into the going down, far under the water stuff.

1-TLS:
2-So do they even have the pre-show movie anymore?
3-All the "welcome...to Seabase Alpha" sutff?

1- "The Living Seas" Pavilion is now called "The Seas with Nemo and Friends"

2- Nope. The theaters ("And it rained, and rained... the DELUGE") are gone
and now one theater's space is used as part of the new Clamshell ride.
The other theater space is used for "Turtle Talk with Crush."

3- Nope. The aforementioned Clamshell ride serves as the "into" to the aquarium viewing areas (former "Seabase Alpha.")
The queue to reach the Clamshells is a very long walk that makes it appear that you are walking under water. Very nice.

We rode in the old Sea Cabs just once, back in 1997 I believe. Did you see a lot more of the inside of the tanks then? It is hard to remember, since by 1999 they had closed that part and just used the "hydrolators".

Although the new ride is neat, it disappoints me to think that they hid away most of the view in the new version.

Although the new ride is neat, it disappoints me to think that they hid away most of the view in the new version.

We all miss certain bygone effects and opportunities.
(I know I do.)

But, I'd call the new Clamshells' use of the underwater viewing a "reasonable compromise."

It's not like you can't see the fish in the tanks after you exit the ride. ;)
And, of course, when they closed the SeaCabs, there was none of that viewing area at all
until they opened the new Nemo Clamshells.
AND, those Clamshells utilize
lots of that viewing space in one of the most clever (and amazing) combination
of animation plus live-action I have ever witnessed at a theme park.

1- "The Living Seas" Pavilion is now called "The Seas with Nemo and Friends"

2- Nope. The theaters ("And it rained, and rained... the DELUGE") are gone
and now one theater's space is used as part of the new Clamshell ride.
The other theater space is used for "Turtle Talk with Crush."

3- Nope. The aforementioned Clamshell ride serves as the "into" to the aquarium viewing areas (former "Seabase Alpha.")
The queue to reach the Clamshells is a very long walk that makes it appear that you are walking under water. Very nice.

Robo, it will always be TLS to me.
As for the rest, all I can do is [sigh].

utilize
lots of that viewing space in one of the most clever (and amazing) combination
of animation plus live-action I have ever witnessed at a theme park.

I would have liked to have seen more of that though...there was a ride through a tube, right? That could have been kept, with Nemo stuff before and after, but more of the "Nemo is in with the dolphins" tech used as well so there is plenty to see.

But yes, it is better than it being abandoned - cheers to Disney for once resurrecting something...

I really, truly miss the old EPCOT. It was my favorite part of Disney in the 80's.

Figment was my favorite part of future world and I remember selecting a figment stuffed animal to buy with my own money. (That means it was a big deal!) It was on my bed for years. When I rode the "updated" ride I was so disappointed. I recall figment as being THE headliner for the park. Meaning, I associated Mickey's face with MK and Figment's with Epcot. I don't know if that was just my imagination (pardon the pun) or intentional Disney marketing.

I miss Horizons, and the cabaret Kitchen.

I miss the astronaut characters that used to roam around Epcot. Does anyone else remember this? The silver costumes with the rainbow stripes? Space mickey, and the rest of the fab 5? I think there was a "space figment" too. I was into space so much as a kid and this was just so magical to me. I know the space race is not a part of our culture anymore, but I'd still love to see them out from time to time.

Kitchen Cabaret!!! Veggie Fruit Fruit...Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit!!

We still listen to an old soundtrack!! Miss that one!!

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.
OMG yes the ride photo. When we went for our first extended family trip in '96 we went on the JIA ride and well we were quite bored. When we saw the ride photos the guy in the car ahead of us had his chin on his chest, sleeping. We laughed at that and then at ours. We all looked totally bored and tired in our picture, even the kids. Now we had been running ragged so that may be why we thought we did not like it. Getting into the cool darkness and the motion of the ride probably made us want to nap.
I wish I had had the chance to ride that again before they changed it because honestly the only thing I remember about the ride was the photo.

I just want to say that I do not like all of the changes and ride closures. But you know things for kids have changed in the last 20 years. Kids not longer have to use their imaginations to be entertained. These days it seems like they need to be entertained by something, a movie or game and some of these kids have become adults needing the same kind of entertainment. I wonder if that has something to do with the changes.

Ok, I know I'm a geek when it comes to WDW - but I just finished a book Realityland - that has a lot of the info that the OP was talking about. The countries that were supposed to be in WS, sponsors, rides, etc.

If you're interested - it's a great read . . . :)

^^^thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Moving on...

Universe of Energy.

I barely remember the original. I know I liked it. I can still sort of remember the song. I don't mind the new one either, although it has become an attraction I can skip. I find it interesting that they didn't do anything to the final room before you return to the starting positions of the tram/seating area. You know, the totally dark room with, i believe, a radio tower on one end. I remember the tower from the original.

I miss the older EPCOT attractions. Horizons and Cranium Command. I'm glad the hand is gone from SE and if they would get rid of the tombstones in front of it I would be thrilled!

OH, I agree with this, and YES I remember the Dreamfinder and the ORIGINAL Journey, however, I believe I only rode it ONE time!:headache:How sad for me :sad1: but I do remember the Dreamfinder walking around the area.:cloud9: To me the BK guy sort of reminds me of him...if you squint your eyes and Imagine.....;)

I thought it was cool that the Dreamfinder had the Figment puppet with him when he'd be out for pictures. Does anyone remember if Figment spoke? I think that would be difficult to find an actor AND a ventriloquist.

I thought it was cool that the Dreamfinder had the Figment puppet with him when he'd be out for pictures. Does anyone remember if Figment spoke? I think that would be difficult to find an actor AND a ventriloquist.
Figment did not talk - he mimed all of his actions, and he was AWESOME - so expressive for a rubber puppet.:figment:

I found this interesting....robot chef on the Horizons attraction....

horizonschef.jpg

and on the news this week....

motoman_okonomiyaki.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter