• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Enterprise... refusing debit cards?

Tweevil

Twin Evils....
I just called my Enterprise place to confirm something on my rental and the rep said "in case you didn't know we can't accept debit cards". I said whoa... hold the phone - I have always used DC in the past. 5 reservations over the last 2 years - debit card with Visa or MC logo. (I am credit card free by choice.) He saw the reservations said they all should not have been done and he was going to talk to someone...??

He said he would have to look into it and call me but can't until Monday.

I am gobsmacked - talk about putting a kink in my travel plans. I leave on Friday and my reservation was at a good rate because in January I reserved all of my trips for the year. I already rented with them in Feb and March of this year. If I didn't live in podunk I would call another firm to check availability and their policy.

Is this new or the standard or no? :confused3 I am concerned because now I may not have wheels, probably will lose the good rate, and have to find something else. If you see me walking down I95 wave to me! LOL

Any advice is appreciated.

I just called my Enterprise place to confirm something on my rental and the rep said "in case you didn't know we can't accept debit cards". I said whoa... hold the phone - I have always used DC in the past. 5 reservations over the last 2 years - debit card with Visa or MC logo. (I am credit card free by choice.) He saw the reservations said they all should not have been done and he was going to talk to someone...??

He said he would have to look into it and call me but can't until Monday.

I am gobsmacked - talk about putting a kink in my travel plans. I leave on Friday and my reservation was at a good rate because in January I reserved all of my trips for the year. I already rented with them in Feb and March of this year. If I didn't live in podunk I would call another firm to check availability and their policy.

Is this new or the standard or no? :confused3 I am concerned because now I may not have wheels, probably will lose the good rate, and have to find something else. If you see me walking down I95 wave to me! LOL

Any advice is appreciated.

Based on their official policy on their website it looks like a credit card is required to book a rental even when paying with debit. I think the majority of car rental companies will require a credit card in my experience.

http://www.enterprise.com/content/car_rental/afterYouMakeReservation.html

Call again and make sure they run it through as a credit card. Not everyone understands that a debit card with a credit card logo can be run though as a credit card. Don't say it is a debit card, just visa or MC. And, good for you for going without a credit card. I am now credit card debit free and living cash only as much as possible. It is nice not having that debt hanging over my head :banana:

Call again and make sure they run it through as a credit card. Not everyone understands that a debit card with a credit card logo can be run though as a credit card. Don't say it is a debit card, just visa or MC. And, good for you for going without a credit card. I am now credit card debit free and living cash only as much as possible. It is nice not having that debt hanging over my head :banana:

A debit card, even with a Visa/MC logo can still be identified as such when scanned at the counter, their machines translate the card number automatically; it really doesn't matter if you run it as a debit or a credit, it's preidentified by the card number.

As for renting without a credit card, I expect more and more companies to start shying away from them although some states make it difficult for them to do so.

Well isn't that something.... I never considered checking the TOA - :rolleyes1

So, I guess I should get the Saturn an oil change and brake check. I had mentioned maybe taking it in the over 2000K driver thread and pretty much had myself talked out of taking it. I use it to putt putt to work and didn't want to kill it.

At least my CD's and GPS are already in there LOL

Thanks everyone!

I rented a car with Enterprise a few months ago with a debit card. They Do take them, but they need additional information when you do. (I lucked out and didn't need to do this because my BIL knew the guy). I think they require a bill or something. I would call a local Enterprise and ask them ahead of time what to bring, then try the Orlando location again. Maybe you will get someone different. Tell them what your local Enterprise said and ask them why they are different.

Unless I'm mistaken, they have no choice but to take a debit card. A few years back the government passed legislation making it discrimination to require a credit card. However I rented from enterprise recently and they told us if you use debit the same regulations apply as with cash. you have to leave a sizeable deposit. ($300.00 I think). Plus you have to jump through a few other hoops.

After my other post, I decided to do some digging. I went to enterprises website and clicked to chat with an agent here is what I found.
#1 the policy is different depending on where you rent.
#2 you can use debit.
the following is from enterprise:
For Orlando airport-DEBIT CARD POLICY
A DEPOSIT OF THE RENTAL AMOUNT PLUS 20%, OR $150, WHICHEVER IS GREATER WILL BE AUTHORIZED ON ALL CREDIT CARDS BELONGING TO THE PRIMARY RENTER AS A REQUIREMENT TO RENT. DEBIT CARDS WILL BE PROCESSED AS A SALE AND ARE ACCEPTED FROM DEPLANING AIRPORT CUSTOMERS ONLY. A COPY OF AN AIRLINE ITINERARY DISPLAYING A RETURN FLIGHT WILL BE REQUIRED ON ALL DEBIT CARD RENTALS. DEPOSIT WILL BE CHARGED UPON THE OPENING OF THE RENTAL.

To be clear, alamo, national and enterprise are all the same company now. I rarely use enterprise because their pricing is usually out of line. I always find great deals using my BJ's codes through alamo though. Plus alamo doesn't act all uppity like the enterprise people do. I think it's something in their training.

After my other post, I decided to do some digging. I went to enterprises website and clicked to chat with an agent here is what I found.
#1 the policy is different depending on where you rent.
#2 you can use debit.
the following is from enterprise:
For Orlando airport-DEBIT CARD POLICY
A DEPOSIT OF THE RENTAL AMOUNT PLUS 20%, OR $150, WHICHEVER IS GREATER WILL BE AUTHORIZED ON ALL CREDIT CARDS BELONGING TO THE PRIMARY RENTER AS A REQUIREMENT TO RENT. DEBIT CARDS WILL BE PROCESSED AS A SALE AND ARE ACCEPTED FROM DEPLANING AIRPORT CUSTOMERS ONLY. A COPY OF AN AIRLINE ITINERARY DISPLAYING A RETURN FLIGHT WILL BE REQUIRED ON ALL DEBIT CARD RENTALS. DEPOSIT WILL BE CHARGED UPON THE OPENING OF THE RENTAL.

To be clear, alamo, national and enterprise are all the same company now. I rarely use enterprise because their pricing is usually out of line. I always find great deals using my BJ's codes through alamo though. Plus alamo doesn't act all uppity like the enterprise people do. I think it's something in their training.

Yup, that's what I always have done, left a sizable deposit and they give it back when I give the car back. I have cash - just no credit card (prob why I have cash - lol).
Funny thing - I called there today and the mgr said he had to wait for the dist manager or something to authorize it. I told him that I know people ALL OVER the place who have done this up and down the east coast and could provide that data upon request - if this was new I understand but don't kill me 5 days before I leave for vacation.

Hmph... if they weren't the only game in town I would jump to another one but I live in po'dunk.

I rented a car with Enterprise a few months ago with a debit card. They Do take them, but they need additional information when you do. (I lucked out and didn't need to do this because my BIL knew the guy). I think they require a bill or something. I would call a local Enterprise and ask them ahead of time what to bring, then try the Orlando location again. Maybe you will get someone different. Tell them what your local Enterprise said and ask them why they are different.

Unfortunately this is my local Enterprise... I am driving to FL :)
Apparently there has been some issues because the guy I talked to today said I wouldn't believe some of the stuff that happens. I told him I get that but check his records - I should be A-ok!

I can't find their particular rental location policy online though... wonder why?

I found this on their website under Help-Pay For Rental Vehicle

Debit Card's are not accepted at all locations and require a rental qualification process. Please contact your local branch for debit card requirements.

I work for a retail establishment, and there has been a large amount of fraudelant activity concerning debit cards over the past few months. We are considering not accepting debit cards when consumers are purchasing certain items at night. Just checking for identification is not enough information to make sure the debit card is valid.

Hey Tweevil-
That's correct, some car rental agencies will not except debit-credit cards.
We switched on our last trip to a different car rental company (I used to use the Emerald isle, but found others were cheaper, and pretty easy to use) We used the agency that is right next to national- I can't remember. Budget?
I DO remember one thing, and that was that you had to have a round trip ticket in order to use a debit card. We did have to check in at the counter, but it didn't take long. We got hooked up with a really nice ride too.

Just a little update...
I am still waiting for the mgr to advise if I am good to go on Friday. Apparently they can do this but it needs an approval. So, it's Wed, I leave on Friday - nothing like making this a priority...

Anyhoo, plan b is still there but I would rather not use it.

Thanks for all of the good info everyone, I appreciate it. :)

The unlimited mileage offered by many neighborhood offices is void if you drive out of state. The OP should verify the terms of his rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter