Enjoying the parks in a wheelchair...

danielsmommy04

Earning My Ears
Well, the countdown is almost over... we leave at 8am tomorrow for Disney World! I am 8 weeks pregnant. Well, I was diagnosed with a Subchronic Hematoma in the placenta. As of today, the baby has a heartbeat, but I have a 50/50 chance of baby or no baby. My doctor told me to go and enjoy our trip, but I needed to keep off my feet, rest lots, and no lifting. So, we have a wheelchair that a friend is letting me use for our trip. So, my question is... what can I do to make sure I enjoy the parks in a wheelchair? We have a 5 year old and 2 year old and I don't want to let them down! What about standing in line or labeling a wheelchair (we have luggage tag and hankie on our stroller). Also, what is the nearest (or best) hospital that is possibly best for women? I am having a really hard time worrying about how am I going to enjoy our trip with worrying over this baby, but I know that isn't fair for my two other children. Any advice?

Needing some pixie dust...

Have you considered renting an ECV? I'm sure it would be easier than a wheelchair, and also your husband can push the stroller instead of you. It'll be worth the extra money not having to worry about that.

You'll also rest much better, and is there time to get a doctor's note? You can use the ECV line for rides that have them.

:( Sending you sticky vibes for the pregnancy, and lots of pixie dust for your trip. Relax and have fun.

I'm not sure if you've ever had a miscarriage, and while I hope for the best, you may want to prepare for the worst. Make sure to take feminine products with you in case you're in the park and something happens. :( I hate to even have to bring that up, but I'd hate for you to be in the middle of Magic Kingdom and something happen.

PM me if you need more detail about what I'm referring to.

:tink::tink::tink:Sounds like you need a lot of pixie dust...

I don't know anything about being in a wheelchair at WDW, but I know what it's like to lose a baby. I am hoping with all my heart that you have a happy healthy bundle of joy in your arms in 8 months!

Please take it easy, and take extra super special care of yourself.

Edited to add that I completely agree with the PP. I had placenta problems with my DD, it landed me in the hospital 3 times. I started bleeding in the middle of a store... I was terrified. You can PM me also. :flower:

Is it too late to take your mom or MIL, or a sister, or BFF with you?

Pixie dust and lots of prayers coming your way :wizard:

I would consider renting an ECV also...I am very plus sized, and have done it the last few years. I want to say it is only like $65 a day, and will be much easier to use. I still stand in line, but in your case, take advantage of not having to hun :love:

I know this will be hard to do...but relax, have fun, it will do you some good! Enjoy the atmposphere, and think positive thoughts! They truly do wonders!

I know how hard it is to lose a little one, we lost our first when I was five and a half months along. Stress does not help...so like I said, try and stay positive, and think positive :hug:

YOU WILL have a great trip, with all the pixie dust around you, how can you not :wizard: God Bless, and please keep us posted!

You'll also want to post your question on the DISabilities board. Those folks have TONS of info regarding enjoying the parks while physically limited or challenged. You'll have a great time!

:earsboy:

I had this with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies. Very scary...but all turned out well in the end. Hope it does for you too! :goodvibes

I was put on strict bedrest for several weeks. Standing would cause me to bleed heavier. So I would definitely recommend sitting as much as possible in the wheelchair for lines, etc. Disney is a very handicap accessible place so you should have no problems getting around in the wheelchair.

I hope that everything turns out well for you and you can enjoy your trip. :goodvibes

oh wait. you can't PM. apparently i was bad last night and they took that privelege away from me. lol

you can email me, though, if you want. :)

wishing you lots of sticky vibes as well. I definitely agree, an ECV will be so much easier. with two kiddos, it will be very difficult for DH to manage the chair and them (do you have others travelling with you?). It is hard work pushing the chair all day too. I've done it for my mom.

here's hoping you have a great trip and a healthy pregnancy.

we are taking our little IVF miracle on his first trip in 6 days!

I would strongly suggest going over to the disABILITIES Forum.

As far as an emergency, if there is one the paramedics will take you to the hospital that can best treat your needs; very possibly the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Woman and Infants which is part of the Orlando Regional Medical Center in Downtown Orldando.

If you rent a scooter off-site it's $30 a day. That way you have it 24/7, even at the resort and other places like DTD. My cousin rents her's from Walker Mobility. They deliver and pick it up at your hotel. It's easy to get around the parks in a scooter and if you're not sure where you go for the rides and shows, the CM's will be glad to help you.

I was in a wheelchair last January at DHS (fatigue related to vitamin deficiency). I had to transfer for a few rides, but I had no other problems, except a few of the sidewalks only had a single ramp (meaning you just get off where you get on). At the time the HSM show was in front of the car stunt show, and we got trapped on one of those sidewalks for a bit. I was able to stay in my wheelchair for all the lines for the rides we went on.

We rented the chair from the park, so they gave us a tag for it, but any large-ish piece of paper with your name attached will do.

I hope things work out on the best side of the 50% for you. :)

Just saw this thread - it looks like the original poster was leaving this morning, so information may be too late for her.
On the off chance that she will have internet access while she's gone (and for other posters in the future), I will add some information.
Have you considered renting an ECV? I'm sure it would be easier than a wheelchair, and also your husband can push the stroller instead of you. It'll be worth the extra money not having to worry about that.

You'll also rest much better, and is there time to get a doctor's note? You can use the ECV line for rides that have them.

:( Sending you sticky vibes for the pregnancy, and lots of pixie dust for your trip. Relax and have fun.

I'm not sure if you've ever had a miscarriage, and while I hope for the best, you may want to prepare for the worst. Make sure to take feminine products with you in case you're in the park and something happens. :( I hate to even have to bring that up, but I'd hate for you to be in the middle of Magic Kingdom and something happen.

PM me if you need more detail about what I'm referring to.
you don't need a doctor's note for anything unless you think your insurance may pay for the rental fee with a doctor's note. Policies differ in what they will cover, so having a doctor's note will not be a guarantee of getting it paid for. If you have a flexible medical spending account, you might also be able to get the rental price covered thru that with a doctor's note.

But, you don't need a doctor's note to rent an ECV/wheelchair or to use one in lines. Most lines are wheelchair and ECV accessible. There are a few that are wheelchair accessible, but not accessible to ECVs - for those, tell the CM at the entrance that you will need a wheelchair. They will show you where to park and will have a wheelchair at the attraction that you can use. When you enter the park, look for the park maps for Guests with Disabilities. Those will list where to enter each attraction (in most cases, it will tell you to go into the regular line) and also have an icon telling whether or not the line is ECV accessible (a little stick figure getting out of the ECV and getting into a wheelchair). If there is an icon showing a wheelchair with a person getting out, that means the line is wheelchair/ECV accessible, but you need to transfer to a ride car.

Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information on renting wheelchairs and ECVs.

I agree with Chesire Figment..Go to The Arnold Palmer/Winnie Palmer hospital..I had a similar situation when I was pregnant with my ds and went to their ER..They were fabulous. Have fun on your vacation and I hope you don't need my advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter