English or British

If you are English, you are also British.

If you are British, you aren't necessarily English.

Kind of like squares and rectangles.

Great now i gotta go look that up because my 25 year old geometry lessons didn't stick enough for me to remember if a square is always a rectangle. Or the reverse. I think it is but i can't believe i forgot this.
Carry on hijack over.

My sister's DH is from England, meaning he is both English and British. His first day of work for IBM in the US, the HR rep asked him what country he was from as she had to select one from her list. He said the United Kingdom. Not on the list. Great Britain? Not on the list. England? On the list. He was horrified, as England isn't the official name of the country. Stupid Americans (well, according to him :lmao: )

English from england. British people from great britain (england, scotland, wales)
:thumbsup2 This

and this:

And it's squares that are rectangles, but rectangles not necessarily squares.

My sister's DH is from England, meaning he is both English and British. His first day of work for IBM in the US, the HR rep asked him what country he was from as she had to select one from her list. He said the United Kingdom. Not on the list. Great Britain? Not on the list. England? On the list. He was horrified, as England isn't the official name of the country. Stupid Americans (well, according to him :lmao: )

Whereas I have friends who would get offended if England, Scotland, and Wales, etc. were not listed as separate countries.

And it's squares that are rectangles, but rectangles not necessarily squares.

Yup!

Great now i gotta go look that up because my 25 year old geometry lessons didn't stick enough for me to remember if a square is always a rectangle. Or the reverse. I think it is but i can't believe i forgot this.
Carry on hijack over.

Sorry. I was going to add the relationship, but didn't at the last minute.

Whereas I have friends who would get offended if England, Scotland, and Wales, etc. were not listed as separate countries.
::yes:: Me too. They say they are English, not British.

Yeah it depends which context you are using. The others summed it up well. My dad usually just says he's British (he's from England)

I think there should be a choice on passports rather than it saying British for all four countries

I'm English and hate to be called British.

I'm English, but will happily accept being called British. It is an umbrella term for UK peoples that the US apparently finds useful.

It is all a matter of perspective. The US, in general, doesn't quite seem to understand that there are distinct cultural and historical differences among the English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish.

I do wish citizens of the USA would stop abbreviating it and calling us all "Brits" though. I don't call them all "Yanks."

It just seems a trifle rude.

And monkeyboy finally asked a question that I felt worth answering.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter