Ending a relationship over Disney

DetroitDisney

DISfanatic
Has anyone ever ended a relationship over love/hate of disney?

I have been dating a girl for about 1.5 years and she doesn't like disney. She can tolerate it but isn't a huge fan. When I floated the idea of annual or twice-annual trips to WDW I was laughed at. She would prefer to go to a beach or walk around some city. I'm actually concerned that this could cause long-term problems, as I don't want to take vacations that I don't like.

Any thoughts?

Also info from folks that might already be in long-term relationship/marriage with this issue would be helpful. Id like to see how you deal with it.

there are several.

most are ladies - it is their husbands who don't appreciate Disney.

the ladies go to Disney - their spouses either don't come - or do other things - golf, tennis, horsebacking riding, boating, etc.

maybe you should let her see what else is at Disney - especially if she likes to shop.

my SIL did not like Disney when they got married. He and the kids changed her mind.

I think you should bring her to Disney. Have her see all there is to offer.

But yeah..alot of wifes/husbands will just take solo trips, or go with friends.

I say take her and see how she likes it. Visit a beach in Florida while youre there!!

I'd say to find out what it is she doesn't like about Disney and see if there is a compromise. She likes the beach, you'd rather hit the parks. What about a couple of days at both places? Or, is it that she thinks Disney is only for kids? If that's the case show her the other side of things like the dining, the night activities, etc. Maybe it's her own ignorance of what's there that is the issue.

I've actually taken her there already. She was excited to go, but now seems like she's over it. More like checking it off the to-do list. She's not super interested to go back, and had already made it seem like a negative. I want to go to disneyland this year for Christmas time, but I don't know how it will go over.

My other issue is that my vacation time is limited based on my job. It's hard to be away for even a week, so it's not like I can take my own weeks off and another set with her.

I feel like we have different religions. I believe in Mickey.

Has anyone ever ended a relationship over love/hate of disney?

I have been dating a girl for about 1.5 years and she doesn't like disney. She can tolerate it but isn't a huge fan. When I floated the idea of annual or twice-annual trips to WDW I was laughed at. She would prefer to go to a beach or walk around some city. I'm actually concerned that this could cause long-term problems, as I don't want to take vacations that I don't like.

Any thoughts?

I've actually taken her there already. She was excited to go, but now seems like she's over it. More like checking it off the to-do list. She's not super interested to go back, and had already made it seem like a negative. I want to go to disneyland this year for Christmas time, but I don't know how it will go over.

I feel like we have different religions. I believe in Mickey.

You actually do know how it will go over -- the fact that she laughed at your suggestion and now "seems like she's over it" gives you the information you need.

Relationships are about compromise. Neither of you want to take vacations you don't like, but have you considered taking a trip that combines what you each enjoy?

Disneyland at Christmas combined with a few days on the California Coast, maybe?

If she continues to laugh at your suggestions, I'd reconsider the relationship -- not because of Disney, per se, but for the lack of respect that represents.

Good luck.

We just got back from our second trip to Disney on Saturday and on the way home my DH said he just didnt like it. It's weird because when we went last March our kids, him and I loved it (that's why we went again last week). For some reason it also felt personal, I know sounds weird. I put so much time and energy putting a trip together I thought everyone would love since they did last time and he didnt like it.
I know most of it was because we only had a day and a half of nice weather but still...
Anyways we have decided to go to Arizona next winter instead to visit my parents and hangout by the pool. We will maybe try disney in a few years again as a family but for now I will have to go with my kids alone or not go.

Has she ever been to disney? if not it is time to plan a trip. My dh HATED disney due to brain washing by his father because his father hated eisner. I begged him to go just once. He had to try it..... that was our late honey moon (had been married 6 months when we had vacation time to go) and he loved it. We now own DVC and have been every year or every other year for the last 6 years. We go again in May ... 10 nights at Old Key West. It will be our first time staying at our home resort despite having done 3 other DVC trips lol.

wish me luck, i'm bringing my long term boyfriend to disney for valentines/presidents weekend .. he hasn't been in years and definitely never been with a disney addict so he's a little reluctant but i've actually convinced him to get an annual pass, so hopefully the fact that he will be paying every month will make him want to go more and more!

my ex fiancé hated Disney! I took him ONCE and he will never go back. My next boyfriend better be a Disney lover or at least go with me once a year LOL

I agree with PP i would work on the compromise and if you continually get laughed at... i think there is too much lack of respect. I know all couples are different but i would have a hard time not sharing my passion and love for disney with my SO. Luckily its not an issue for me bc my dh is more obsessive then i am about disney :)

I only recently started to think that it would be a problem. I made my intentions known with regards to the Disneyland vacation later this year. I want to go for a week and spend 4-5 days in the parks, but this seemed to be too much. She thinks it's crazy that I would want more than a day each.

I guess I shouldn't mention that I want to visit Paris and Tokyo in the next 2-3 years to see those parks too, haha.

Needless to say, I'm concerned this will become a greater issue over time.

my husband and I are (luckily) both disney fanatics. we have been 24 times to wdw. that being said, if you want to win her over, I would NOT suggest a trip to Disney land. we went once this last oct and neither of us were fond of it. we both feel like we "crossed if off our list". IF you do go there, sta on property (which would be pricey) we wanted to rent points for grand californian, but those are hard to come by. we stayed close (howard johnsons. walking distance, but SO dif than staying on proerty in WDW .. there you are in your own WDW "bubble" no buses, tons of cars, city like atmosphere.

maybe you could rent points at disney's Vero beach resort, then rent points for either the Boardwalk or Yach and beach club. a few days on the ocean, then a few days at the boardwalk. visit Jelly rolls for the piano bar, visit the espn club. hop into epcot to see the British invasion band and the off kilter band in canada. eat at a couple world showcase restaurants. watch illuminations. take the boat to hollywood studios.

resist the urge to "bombard her" with planning (pretty hard now with fp+) but DO plan a couple nice meals ahead of time.
even tho I LOVE disney, there are other places I wish I could go. but hubby only likes disney. I've never been to vegas, or seen the grand canyon, or been to europe. hubby is lucky I love disney.

maybe you could alternate years. you pick a vacation one year. she picks the nexe. every other year at WDW wouldn't be too bad (you wouldn't be able to make use of APs, tho). but it would seem like a good compromise.

Well I think this is a tough one. I've been divorced over a year and though he went to WDW every year with me (we own DVC) it was starting to become an issue. THough he would go, he would not ride any of the rides and really just started to be doom and gloom while we were there. He'd spend half his time laying around the room while I went and did things on my own. It was really the beginning of the end - to the point that I got the DVC in the divorce cause as he put it "it really was my thing, not his".

I think it's a tough call in your situation. Someone did say it was a compromise and I completely agree with that statement - but I also agree with statement made about laughing at you. So disrepectful.

Good luck but one thing I've learned over the last year or two is that you only get one go around so make it count. :)

I think I would try to work on a compromise, as a few other people have said. Her needs need to be met, just like your own.. and part of a relationship (in my opinion) is figuring that out while still making both of you happy. That being said, if she is being disrespectful about something you truly love and that bothers you, that is an issue unrelated to Disney itself.

One of my exes wasn't a huge Disney fan.. so when we went on a vacation we went on a cruise (not Disney) and then spent a few days in Disney before and after. We both got to do something we wanted.

Good luck! :goodvibes

My husband hates Disney World. I go without him either with friends or my daughter and friends. We've been married over 30 years. I don't expect him to like everything I like and he does not expect me to like everything he likes. We still take trps together but not to Disney World.

. I'm actually concerned that this could cause long-term problems, as I don't want to take vacations that I don't like. Any thoughts?
but you're expecting her to go on trips she doesn't like? Sounds like the both of you have a lot of learning to do in the relationship field. Because, if this is both your attitudes then it won't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter