End of the Year Teacher Gift - Room Mom rampage

Whatever happened to just giving the teacher a gift card or small gift at the end of the year? My mom (teacher) loves that. Why does the other mom need to complicate thigns so much?

My daughter is the first grade and this year we got a note at the start of the year from the teacher saying that she appreciated gift cards as gifts and then went on to detail the stores she shopped at. Talk about rubbing me the wrong way. Last year we did a personalized gift for the teacher that my dd picked out. Gift cards are great but that really does not include the kids much. I have a teacher friend and her shelves are stocked full of "teacher gifts" things kids picked out or made. It is just part of the job. Teachers don't teach for the thanks- They do it because they are very special people and parents should do nice things for them. But when we are told to do nice things it isn't as fun. okay- done I will get off my soapbox.

Teacher here too! Last year we each recieved a book with a special memory from each child in our class and some from past years too. i still have that book and it makes me smile each time I look at it. That being said this is a tough year for teachers here in NJ many of us have lost or will lose our jobs due to huge budget cuts....May 1st is D-day for the states' teachers. My job is safe since I work in a private school but some of my family members and close friends are waiting to hear what will happen to them. What I am getting at is that we need to show appreciation for teachers, in anyway we can!

Agreed. There are many ways to show appreciation that ranges from no cost to reasonable. I do hope your friends and family members that are teachers do not lose their teaching jobs.

Whatever happened to just giving the teacher a gift card or small gift at the end of the year? My mom (teacher) loves that. Why does the other mom need to complicate thigns so much?

It's grown from the end of the year gift to include a week long teacher appreciation event (for lack of another word). There are all kinds of things going on that week. Lunches brought in for the teachers, some parents make dinner for the teachers to take home to their families, little gifts and such. I can't remember anything else at the moment, but there is more I'm sure.

My daughter is the first grade and this year we got a note at the start of the year from the teacher saying that she appreciated gift cards as gifts and then went on to detail the stores she shopped at. Talk about rubbing me the wrong way. Last year we did a personalized gift for the teacher that my dd picked out. Gift cards are great but that really does not include the kids much. I have a teacher friend and her shelves are stocked full of "teacher gifts" things kids picked out or made. It is just part of the job. Teachers don't teach for the thanks- They do it because they are very special people and parents should do nice things for them. But when we are told to do nice things it isn't as fun. okay- done I will get off my soapbox.

:eek:

The other mom is a room mom and most likely following the tradition of what happens during teacher appreciation week. I can relate, I'm a room mom for 2 of my kids this year, don't take it out on us, we are just doing what is expected of us and half the time the rest of the parenst totally ignore our requests (whether it be for $, materials and help) and the few room moms take it all on our own and all the kids and parents get the credit. We aren't trying to make things complicated for anyone, the kids actually love doing this stuff for their teacher :love:

Not to rub people the wrong way, but some people are complaining about how the room mom and the PTA... have you ever been the room mom or in the PTA? Not always an easy job, many demands and a tiny budget. Yes, it seems like every time we turn around there is another fundraiser, but that $ doesn't go into the PTA's pocket, it goes to the kids. In my school one of the things the PTA funds is the field trips, so if the fundraisers are a bust then there are no field trips for the entire school that year. And as far as the room mom's Teacher Appreciation letter, she probably figured that was the quickest, easiest way to organize everybody. It is not easy to plan activities like Teacher Appreciation week by yourself, especially when the other parents don't respond to requests for assistance and donations.

Ok, I am done with my mini-rant now :goodvibes

The other mom is a room mom and most likely following the tradition of what happens during teacher appreciation week. I can relate, I'm a room mom for 2 of my kids this year, don't take it out on us, we are just doing what is expected of us and half the time the rest of the parenst totally ignore our requests (whether it be for $, materials and help) and the few room moms take it all on our own and all the kids and parents get the credit. We aren't trying to make things complicated for anyone, the kids actually love doing this stuff for their teacher :love:

Yes, this! You beat me to it, lol! :goodvibes

Not to rub people the wrong way, but some people are complaining about how the room mom and the PTA... have you ever been the room mom or in the PTA? Not always an easy job, many demands and a tiny budget. Yes, it seems like every time we turn around there is another fundraiser, but that $ doesn't go into the PTA's pocket, it goes to the kids. In my school one of the things the PTA funds is the field trips, so if the fundraisers are a bust then there are no field trips for the entire school that year. And as far as the room mom's Teacher Appreciation letter, she probably figured that was the quickest, easiest way to organize everybody. It is not easy to plan activities like Teacher Appreciation week by yourself, especially when the other parents don't respond to requests for assistance and donations.

Ok, I am done with my mini-rant now :goodvibes

I just want to clarify, I think the fundraiser for our school is too grandiose with this economy. It worked great in better times. I certainly don't blame the room mothers for that. I do work with and support our room moms. This one event is not for us.

I am both a teacher and a parent at my 1st graders school. First of all I have had to pay almost 40 out of pocket in the last 2 weeks for field trips because they want the younger non TAKS (Texas state test) kids out of the school during testing. Which irritates me to no end and my kids are one of the grades testing. One day is literally to the Park and to see Disney's oceans movie for 15. The week before was their 25 yearbook. Everyday they sell candy after school for ridiculous prices as fundraisers. Then their is my youngest s Pre K fundraising basket. plus I just had a 50 text book deposit for K next year. I am a single mom on a teacher's salary. While I thank God I have a job, all this just makes the bills even tighter than usual. It should be up to Parents IMO a thoughtful gesture is all that matters.

OP, I would just email her back and say you already had other plan and wish not to part with the class gift.

Do the teachers really need all of that stuff? I would imagine after one teacher has been teaching for 20 years, they'd have an awful lot of items to tote around (if they move or whatnot).

My son's school does the whole week of gifts where the kids bring a flower one day and a letter one day. Another day, the room mom decorates the classroom door with pictures and messages from the kids. At the end of the week, there's a gift bought with a classroom collection. I don't mind doing each thing, but it often gets to be a competition between classrooms. Who can make the best door display, the biggest bouquet, the best gift?

I like the way they do staff appreciation at the school where I work. They ask for a one-time $3 donation from each family. They pool the money from the whole school and set-up a luncheon for the staff. Not everyone donates but they always get enough for a nice lunch. Some items are catered and some are cooked in the staff room by parents. I think it's a nice way to handle it.

I love it when my DD's teachers let us know what stores they shop at for gift cards. I have told my DD since kindergarten no nic nacks, no candles, no mugs, etc. For the most part the teachers I know appreciate the gift cards so much more. In fact at Christmas it was the teachers on Dis that suggested WaWa gift cards and that's what I went with.

I know I will probably get flamed for this but............. teaching is a job folks. They get paid just the same as everyone else. I work 2 different jobs and I never expect gifts of any sort. Yes these are our children. But when gift are expected and asked for that is over the top for me.

By the way my daughter is a teacher.

I think doing simple things for teacher appreciation is fine and shouldn't be mandatory. A flower, a nice letter/card, candy or fruit etc. are things everyone can do without putting pressure on those that can't adfford it. I thtink it goes overboard when donation or a $$ are requested.

For my dd's school teacher appreciation week ask for 1 items per day for the week, a flower, chocolate,fruit, a nice note and can't remember the las item. Everyone can participate.

For x-mas we gave a $20 giftcard to ice cream shop and the end of the year will be another giftcard. This years teacher along with last years didnt do parties so I didnt send them goodies or gifts for holidays except for x-mas/end of the year. All her other teachers we would send goodies and lil gifts for every holiday.

State testing is coming and the Principal send a note asking for parents to send snack for their childs class during State Testing week. So we will send snacks for 36 kids. Some things dont bother me but when $$$ is asked for i think about those that are poor. low income or with mulitple kids, it can get expensive.

I'm glad my DD's school doesn't have a big blow-out for teacher appreciation week. Seriously, I do appreciate the teachers, and I do respect room mothers and their generous donation of their time.

The teacher DD has this year has been great. He is pretty strict in his expectations, and he has really whipped DD into shape about trying her hardest and working to her best potential. I have been thinking about ways to show him that, even though all of her teachers so far have been nice, I really think he has made a major impact on her future success as she goes into the older grades. I am really liking the idea of sending an email to the principal and cc'ing him to share my thoughts.

I am not even remotely into the game of "how much better of a gift can we give to the teacher than Sally and her mom". I know most moms aren't out for that, but I also know that some ARE. To that, I say :confused3 whatever. I will show the teachers we appreciate how MUCH we appreciate them in our own way.

A room mom here! We actually just had our "Staff Appreciation Day" today and I'm just going to say that I'm shocked by many of the responses.

At my kids' school, as room parents, we are told what to do by the PTA. We aren't choosing activities or trying to "one up" anyone. We are giving our time, many, many, many hours I might add, to create parties and activities for all of the children to enjoy. Honoring our teachers and staff is one of them. If a parent selects not to participate it is still on our shoulders to ensure that WE provide the flowers, notes, food items, etc, for every child to give to the teacher regardless of their parents' decision not to pay or donate. While you may find it a burden to send in a picture of your child, I'm just curious how you think the photographs get placed in the memory book or where the memory book came from, who paid for it or the supplies to make it? It's the room parent. We are not given the option to "opt out". While it might be a parent's decision not to donate a food item for a party it still needs to be provided. I have never had a parent say that their child won't be participating in the party or "please don't have them sign the gift card". They absolutely would blow a gasket if their child wasn't allowed to participate or sign their name even though they, as parents, chose "not to participate". Just something to think about when you decide not to participate, volunteer your time, or make a donation.

The truth? I really genuinely like to be a room parent.:goodvibes I love planning parties and working in the classroom. I adore seeing the kids' faces light up with joy when they hand their teacher a token of appreciation (a note, a flower, the memory book) and I don't for one second begrudge the time and money that I put into being a room parent. Tone is hard to convey over the internet and I'm not scolding or chastising anyone. I am simply more than a little shocked by the responses here and genuinely curious how some of the pp's think the classroom activities are organized, because they don't just magically appear. How can anyone think that a room parent is doing anything wrong by sending emails and reminders? She (or he) is volunteering their time and financial resources to help your child and the school staff. I guess I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the thought process going on here.:confused:

I don't think the requests were unusual or stressful. I would have had no problem participating especially if my child had a great teacher. I would just minus out $10 from your end of the year gift if its a budget concern.

Which reminds me we have a teacher appreciation breakfast and I need to send something in!

I am both a teacher and a parent at my 1st graders school. First of all I have had to pay almost 40 out of pocket in the last 2 weeks for field trips because they want the younger non TAKS (Texas state test) kids out of the school during testing. Which irritates me to no end and my kids are one of the grades testing. One day is literally to the Park and to see Disney's oceans movie for 15. The week before was their 25 yearbook. Everyday they sell candy after school for ridiculous prices as fundraisers. Then their is my youngest s Pre K fundraising basket. plus I just had a 50 text book deposit for K next year. I am a single mom on a teacher's salary. While I thank God I have a job, all this just makes the bills even tighter than usual. It should be up to Parents IMO a thoughtful gesture is all that matters.

I totally understand teachers wanting to take younger kids out of the school during testing. I teach preK/K and we are sequestered in our classroom for 3-4 hours and dared to breathe during that time. The kids get really antsy in that kind of situation, and we are taking them on field trips for 2 of the 3 EOG testing days. One of ours is funded by the PTA, and one is to the strawberry patch--$12/child, mostly bus costs(talk about a rant).

Do the teachers really need all of that stuff? I would imagine after one teacher has been teaching for 20 years, they'd have an awful lot of items to tote around (if they move or whatnot).

Our kids bring in school supplies. We don't tote those around; they are used up by Christmas and we are usually replacing them using our own money.

Just want to say I appreciate my parents. They are happy to help me when I need something for the class!

Marsha

A room mom here! We actually just had our "Staff Appreciation Day" today and I'm just going to say that I'm shocked by many of the responses.

At my kids' school, as room parents, we are told what to do by the PTA. We aren't choosing activities or trying to "one up" anyone. We are giving our time, many, many, many hours I might add, to create parties and activities for all of the children to enjoy. Honoring our teachers and staff is one of them. If a parent selects not to participate it is still on our shoulders to ensure that WE provide the flowers, notes, food items, etc, for every child to give to the teacher regardless of their parents' decision not to pay or donate. While you may find it a burden to send in a picture of your child, I'm just curious how you think the photographs get placed in the memory book or where the memory book came from, who paid for it or the supplies to make it? It's the room parent. We are not given the option to "opt out". While it might be a parent's decision not to donate a food item for a party it still needs to be provided. I have never had a parent say that their child won't be participating in the party or "please don't have them sign the gift card". They absolutely would blow a gasket if their child wasn't allowed to participate or sign their name even though they, as parents, chose "not to participate". Just something to think about when you decide not to participate, volunteer your time, or make a donation.

The truth? I really genuinely like to be a room parent.:goodvibes I love planning parties and working in the classroom. I adore seeing the kids' faces light up with joy when they hand their teacher a token of appreciation (a note, a flower, the memory book) and I don't for one second begrudge the time and money that I put into being a room parent. Tone is hard to convey over the internet and I'm not scolding or chastising anyone. I am simply more than a little shocked by the responses here and genuinely curious how some of the pp's think the classroom activities are organized, because they don't just magically appear. How can anyone think that a room parent is doing anything wrong by sending emails and reminders? She (or he) is volunteering their time and financial resources to help your child and the school staff. I guess I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the thought process going on here.:confused:

ITA!

Most likely the room mom was given this schedule of Teacher appreciation week events and is informing the class of it. This is probably not the room mom's idea. I don't think she is trying to outdo anyone. This must be how it's done in their school. I was room mom for
two years and had to handle this. And yes, whenever parents didn't participate, it all fell on me. I couldn't just say our class was doing nothing for the week. I can honestly say our TAW activities didn't require much money.

I am also a former teacher. Did I need all the little gifts? No. I appreciated the effort and thought that went into anything that was ever done for me by parents/ students. No matter the monetary value, the gesture always was appreciated.

Personally, I kind of agree that it all gets to be a little much. Token gifts have taken on a life of their own, and I don't just mean for teachers. It seems like everything I participate in ends up involving little token gifts for each other. I am thinking of things like church groups, VBS, Mops, etc. It must be a woman thing. I've never seen DH say he felt he needed to give a little something to his volleyball team captain at the end of the season. Even holidays have gotten crazy with gifts, I feel. Part of living in society is recognizing what the norms of the culture are and choosing what you will observe and what you will opt out of.

My point is, if you want to protest and not participate in the traditions of your school's PTA, that's your right. Heck, get on the board of your PTA, and try to change the way things are done at your school. But most likely this is not some crazy room mom's loony idea. THis is just the way it's done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter