End of Fast Pass...

I'm going to put my 2¢ in for the silent majority/minority/others.... etc. (Full disclosure - we are adults only, I understand families with kids will not think like I do.)

FP selections are not a significant factor in my selection to stay on or off property. We purposefully visit at low crowd level times, so FP availability is an insignificant part of our trip. I could care less how they change the system; I will adapt and use it if it is convenient to me. I'm using the FP+ system because it's new and I like new technology. Will we use the FP+ we reserved? Maybe. Right now everyone seems to be getting the three they want at the times best for them. I would bet it opens to everyone eventually. It only just fully opened to all on property guest beginning Oct. 23.

Low crowd levels, resort discounts, upgrade potentials, free transportation around the parks, a variety of events and park atmospheres, and the ease of immersing myself in the 'Disney World' to the exclusion of the real world, that is what sways my decision.

:confused3

Tkraz,

I acknowledge your points (as always)... But counter that there are some "lost rooms" that just will never be salvaged.
They won't run at highest occupancy in September, November, January; February or may...
It just isn't going to happen.

But that doesn't mean they won't use the new system to sell rooms...or more like do target promotions.
My take, However, is that it's gonna be more likely to be an addition cost. Additional revenue streams ( firsthand) are an obsession with Disney management... Especially behind the scenes.

Why no fifth park or massive expansion? Analysis predicts no new revenue streams...

Why did they out this together? Analysis predicts new money from different angles.

We'll just watch and see... I just hope they watch and don't make some of the consumer mistakes we have and will see.
everything you buy is a partnership on some level...never forget that.
Sometimes one partner gets screwed (Jacob marley)

FOTL guests get in the express line just as Disney guests get in the FP line. Both walk past the public. FOTL is basically an unlimited fast pass IF you stay onsite, however, you don't cut the line in front of other Express ticket holders.

Understood. I've used it myself and understand how it works.

The points I was trying to drive home are that you have to pay more for Universal Express (either daily fee or inflated hotel rates), there are no reservation / return times and no limits on its use. Participants get in the designated line with no restrictions or delays (other than the number of guests ahead in the Express line.)

FastPass is FREE for all guests, but there are return times and usage limits.

Shared post from 'DISBoards' by The Hub from thread 'Cast Members Testing MyMagic+ Experience for Annual Passholders 10/9-10/16':

As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, pre-selected Cast Members have been invited to take part in a test that will simulate the experience for Annual Passholders. The test will be held October 9 - 16. [*]Pre-selected Cast Members will act as Passholders during this test.[*]Test participants will link passes to My Disney Experience, make FastPass+ selections and then visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where they will test park entry and FastPass+ redemption with Passholder cards.[*]After visiting the park, these testers will return to My Disney Experience to customize MagicBands and then participate in another park visit with their MagicBands.[*]Park greeters and attractions Cast Members should be aware that test participants will use their Pass cards for all MyMagic+ functionality, including touch to enter and FastPass+ redemption.

Shared post from 'DISBoards' by The Hub from thread 'Cast Members Testing MyMagic+ Experience for Annual Passholders 10/9-10/16':

As part of the test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, pre-selected Cast Members have been invited to take part in a test that will simulate the experience for Annual Passholders. The test will be held October 9 - 16. [*]Pre-selected Cast Members will act as Passholders during this test.[*]Test participants will link passes to My Disney Experience, make FastPass+ selections and then visit Disneys Hollywood Studios, where they will test park entry and FastPass+ redemption with Passholder cards.[*]After visiting the park, these testers will return to My Disney Experience to customize MagicBands and then participate in another park visit with their MagicBands.[*]Park greeters and attractions Cast Members should be aware that test participants will use their Pass cards for all MyMagic+ functionality, including touch to enter and FastPass+ redemption.

I have some friends ( all happen to be management) who are currently or will be participating in The program this week...

One thing left out of the article is that they were given rooms ( which means reservations in the system) as part of the test.

That is a "minor" detail left out: right now the room res. is the glue that is holding the thing together...

"But Disney wouldn't spend that much money on something where you HAD to have the room...right?"

Uh huh...no breath holding on that one. Stay tuned.

Disneys goal is for you to drop your two weeks to the 10 days that you visit the parks with an onsite room, and take all of your vacation dollars.

They can try, but their amenities don't compare to what I can get offsite. And I get offsite for free.

It makes perfect business sense to me that WDW would make Fastpass+ and Magic Bands an on-site only perk. I think it would definately help fill rooms. A similar set-up to Universal makes perfect business sense to me. People who don't stay on-site shouldn't get all the same perks as on-site guests.

If they go this away they will probably come up with something for Florida residents with AP's and perhaps something you can pay for like Express Pass at Universal.

It makes perfect business sense to me that WDW would make Fastpass+ and Magic Bands an on-site only perk. I think it would definately help fill rooms. A similar set-up to Universal makes perfect business sense to me. People who don't stay on-site shouldn't get all the same perks as on-site guests.

If they go this away they will probably come up with something for Florida residents with AP's and perhaps something you can pay for like Express Pass at Universal.

Offsite already don't get the same perks.

Universal is also very different in terms of traffic than Disney. It's just not a good model.

Again, Disney has said repeatedly that all guests will have access to the 60 day advance reservations. Only requirement is that you have valid theme park tickets (including AP) linked to your My Disney Experience account.

A Disney resort reservation is not required.

There is nothing in the current FAQs about 60 days and all customers, unless I missed it.

If you look in the current FAQs, there are two things that jump out at me...valid park admission and "FP+ eligible"...Assuming the "+" in FP+ means the prebooking aspect, I think there could be differences in prebooking windows based on anything they want, including onsite versus everyone else.

I have some friends ( all happen to be management) who are currently or will be participating in The program this week...

One thing left out of the article is that they were given rooms ( which means reservations in the system) as part of the test.

That is a "minor" detail left out: right now the room res. is the glue that is holding the thing together...

"But Disney wouldn't spend that much money on something where you HAD to have the room...right?"

Uh huh...no breath holding on that one. Stay tuned.

Very interesting...

Could just be a loophole they used to get around the way the current testing is set up. Or not.

My theory is that onsite customers will be able to book FP+ ahead of everyone else...that will be the onsite perk.

There is nothing in the current FAQs about 60 days and all customers, unless I missed it.

If you look in the current FAQs, there are two things that jump out at me...valid park admission and "FP+ eligible"...Assuming the "+" in FP+ means the prebooking aspect, I think there could be differences in prebooking windows based on anything they want, including onsite versus everyone else.

The current My Disney Experience Terms and Conditions states that:

"Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets."

No mention of a hotel stay requirement. Additionally, when FP+ was formally announced on the Disney Parks Blog earlier this year, Tom Staggs responded to one reader question with the following:

"We’re working to make MyMagic+ available to all Walt Disney World Resort guests over the next year, starting with guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels. In order to deliver the best possible experience to every guest, we are rolling out MyMagic+ over several months."

Another question about MagicBands yielded this response:

"Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."

Here's a link to the blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/taking-the-disney-guest-experience-to-the-next-level/

Personally, when I first heard about FP+, I immediately envisioned it as something that would be free to Disney hotel guests & passholders, with others having to pay. But aside from a few scattered rumors, Disney really hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case. Official statements like the above--and CM comments during testing--all point to FP+ being available to everyone.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will have the same number of daily ride allotments. That's where I think they could add benefits for Disney hotel guest if they wish. Go to 4 or 5 per day.

As for the Cast Member testing requiring a hotel room, I suspect that's just because the current implementation is entirely tied-into room reservations. Unofficially I've heard it could be another year before Disney is ready to fully roll-out FP+ for day guests who are not staying at a hotel or using an AP.

"Magic Your Way ticket holders and annual passholders may make FastPass+ selections beginning 60 days prior to day of use. The selection window may vary for other admission tickets."

No mention of a hotel stay requirement. Additionally, when FP+ was formally announced on the Disney Parks Blog earlier this year, Tom Staggs responded to one reader question with the following:

"We’re working to make MyMagic+ available to all Walt Disney World Resort guests over the next year, starting with guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels. In order to deliver the best possible experience to every guest, we are rolling out MyMagic+ over several months."

"Hi, Todd. Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/taking-the-disney-guest-experience-to-the-next-level/

Personally, when I first heard about FP+, I immediately envisioned it as something that would be free to Disney hotel guests & passholders, with others having to pay. But aside from a few scattered rumors, Disney really hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case. Official statements like the above--and CM comments during testing--all point to FP+ being available to everyone.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone will have the same number of daily ride allotments. That's where I think they could add benefits for Disney hotel guest if they wish. Go to 4 or 5 per day.

As for the Cast Member testing requiring a hotel room, I suspect that's just because the current implementation is entirely tied-into room reservations. Unofficially I've heard it could be another year before Disney is ready to fully roll-out FP+ for day guests who are not staying at a hotel or using an AP.

Cool! Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, I guess they could still vary the number per day...

Yes Universal has fewer hotel rooms (although the number is growing--they have 1800 rooms under construction.)

However, Universal Express is quite different than FastPass. First, it's a "front of the line" option where participants walk right past the public to ride whenever they wish. There are no scheduled return times. Also there are no limits on its use. Disney is looking at 3 FP+ options per day. Universal Express could be used 30 times in a day by guests with park hopping tickets.

Additionally, Universal has fewer parks and fewer attractions which accept the Express Pass.

There may be fewer FOTL participants at Universal (hotel guests + those who pay for it) but there are also fewer attractions which offer that service and no limits on the number of times those people can use the perk.

You're right that there's no way to truly compare both since they are quite different. However, I suspect they have a similar psychological impact on guests.

The question posed was whether off-site guests would shun the Disney parks because they receive a lesser FP+ option. My response to that is yes, some probably will. However a similar two-tiered system (the Haves and the Have-nots) has existed at USF for many years and they don't seem to be harmed by the business lost.

Disney has repeatedly said that FP+ would be available to everyone. That includes a statement from Bob Iger to congressman Ed Markey.

What we don't know is if everyone will get identical FP+ benefits. Disney COULD give more rides to its hotel guests. They COULD sell additional FP+ ride times at a price. Many possibilities.

At the end of the day, if Disney does decide to directly monetize FP+, I think it stands to gain a lot more $$$ than it would lose from the disgruntled few.
Just two points:

The new resort being built at Universal will not be included in the unlimited express pass system. They, like offsite visitors, can either buy fastpass or wait in the regular lines. That is a tiered system but it doesn't really trouble me because we usually stay offsite and by carefully planning we don't need Express even during fairly busy times. I have my doubts if that will be the case at the Disney parks when it comes to rides such as TSM and the MK mountains.

Also, the Express at Universal does work exactly like Disney's fastpass as far as access goes. You don't get front of the line but wait with others in the Express line. You said that you've used so you probably know that already.

I was about to post some of this so thanks for already doing it. I believe that this indicates that offsite will have access to FP+ but access could mean many things. Could there be a fee? Is the access only day of visit?

JI believe that this indicates that offsite will have access to FP+ but access could mean many things. Could there be a fee? Is the access only day of visit?

Exactly what I was thinking-- Access is different from free access.

Just a note-- Returned home today from a 3 day boardwalk stay-- had bands for family. Worked perfectly in all aspects. Cast members addressed us by name during FPP. Check in was seemless. worked at all kiosks for Food and Wine.
Toy story mania went down and we got a phone message to make a change.

And we are AP holders, and right now I can make FPP's for any day in the next 2 months if I wanted to with no reservations.

Why is this such a big deal? I don't get it. Is it not possible to just relax and enjoy my trip without planning every second?

Why is this such a big deal? I don't get it. Is it not possible to just relax and enjoy my trip without planning every second?

Sure. You can vacation however you want. The problem is, for the "relaxed" tourist ( which I actually am) you will be competing in the parks with the "intense planner" and the "once in a lifetime so I need to squeeze everything in that I can" tourist. These groups are similar, but vary due to experience levels. I believe the 2 latter groups represent about 50 % of the visitors. The other main group would be the "I didn't know I would have to plan" group. These are the ones who leave disappointed.

My recent short trip was the highest combination of relaxed and productive I have had in a long time, due to the magic band, and a small amount of planning.

We arrived at 430 pm at BWV. I had scheduled epcot-- MS 5 to 6, TT 6 to 7, and soarin 7 to 8. This took about 10 minutes at home. We checked in sitting on the comfy couch at BWV, were at MS just before 6, went on MS, then our window was up for TT, rode that, including designing the car which my kids love, and were off by 620. went of nemo, went on figment, went on soarin. now its 800. 2 hours, 5 attractions, no thinking. Went to F/W for the rest of the evening.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but all you need to be able to do is pick a park for each day. The rest builds itself.

Sure. You can vacation however you want. The problem is, for the "relaxed" tourist ( which I actually am) you will be competing in the parks with the "intense planner" and the "once in a lifetime so I need to squeeze everything in that I can" tourist. These groups are similar, but vary due to experience levels. I believe the 2 latter groups represent about 50 % of the visitors. The other main group would be the "I didn't know I would have to plan" group. These are the ones who leave disappointed. My recent short trip was the highest combination of relaxed and productive I have had in a long time, due to the magic band, and a small amount of planning. We arrived at 430 pm at BWV. I had scheduled epcot-- MS 5 to 6, TT 6 to 7, and soarin 7 to 8. This took about 10 minutes at home. We checked in sitting on the comfy couch at BWV, were at MS just before 6, went on MS, then our window was up for TT, rode that, including designing the car which my kids love, and were off by 620. went of nemo, went on figment, went on soarin. now its 800. 2 hours, 5 attractions, no thinking. Went to F/W for the rest of the evening. I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but all you need to be able to do is pick a park for each day. The rest builds itself.

Thanks so much!! This is what I did. Booked our dining booked our fast passes. Then I decided a basic plan around that. Hoping with it being our first time this will suffice. We are relaxed and laid back people and hate to plan. Thanks for a good honest answer to a good honest question.

just to add-- you don't plan every second-- you plan the headliners for the day, which otherwise would take up a large time slot of your day with waits, or have you running around the park collecting passes. Either way, your day has more down time and time for wandering around ( or shopping as is the plan) We found ourselves looking at each other and saying "okay, now what?" quite a bit. We had a lot of free time in the parks.

Our last day we had to leave by 230. Got to HS around 1130-- did RR, TOT, GMR, and TSM. walked back to BWV to eat and left at 230. 3hrs-- 4 attractions and a meal. Can't do that with regular fp unless it is at rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter