End of Fast Pass...

I agree. The local AP holder pops in to visit the parks but they aren't paying for resort stays or dining or souvenirs. They are crowding the parks and using the FP and not really bringing in any $$$ for the mouse. Non-resort guests should have to purchase the FP+ like they do at Universal.

Your comment is possibly in the right ballpark for employees...but even that is steeped in stereotypical special sauce...

On annual pass holders...your completely off the map.

It feels like AP might be a good solution for me, but I wonder if on site benefits evaporate for AP users that then book an on site stay. In other words, do you lose EMH access/FP+/Magic Band if you use an AP with an onsite stay?
If you stay on-site you still get those privileges whether you stay via a package that includes tickets or if you book a room yourself and use your own AP. You just have to link your AP to your reservation.

I had an AP in 2011 and have PAP this year. Like I mentioned above, I am a DVC member who doesn't get free dining (we bought the DP for this Xmas trip and have used TIW card in the past).

Okay, so we're all on the same page then? :)

We are DVC members staying in October. We purchased tickets through the Disney Youth Education Series, as we do every year. Our daughter misses a couple days of school since Oct is the only time we can take a week off all together, so we plan educational activities as part of the trip.

In the past, the YES tickets were issued as paper tickets and couldn't be linked to the KTTW cards. If that is the case here, does that mean we won't have FP access at all for our trip in Oct? That sounds pretty extreme.

I haven't been able to link the on-call YES ticket reservations to My Disney Experience. Anyone else have any luck with this?

We are recently back from a 10 day trip to the World.
I had two conversations with CMs that were interesting.

The first was a CM at the FP machines by Primeval Whirl. He was specifically stationed by the Magic Band or Fastpass + scanner, not the regular FP machines. I was curious about the bands because we didn't have this on our trip, and I haven't really taken the time to learn about them, etc. So I asked him a few questions. He said that research has found the "average" guest was only getting 2.5 fastpasses a day. So they had to put a limit on the number for the Magicband or Fastpass + and they chose 3 for that reason. During the trip, our party was trying to decide if we would be better off just using the regular FP system vs. having the bands...

The second was a CM at the Poly Concierge desk. We were talking about how now we just scan our room key at the front desk there and it pulls everything up for them. She said that scanner is "the future" and everything will be done with the My Disney Experience/scanner process.

So, who knows if any of that is true, but I can definitely see them doing away with the FP system with the implementation of the Magic Bands. I still heard people on this trip walking up to a line and asking the CM standing at the FP entrance, "What is Fastpass?"

It will be interesting to see what transpires!

Also, (I didn't read all the comments here), but regarding the AP people. Perhaps they are thinking the AP holders visit more often and won't be running around like us crazies gathering and using as many FP as possible in our short trip. Just a thought...

I definitely see how it would upset the AP holders though. It's like a perk that has vanished for them. :confused3

If the "page" stretches from here to Uranus and back...
Them yeah... We're all on it

Yeah, right? I don't understand the point that was trying to be made... Just trying to neutralize it rather than saying anymore :/ to each their own ;)

Yeah, right? I don't understand the point that was trying to be made... Just trying to neutralize it rather than saying anymore :/ to each their own ;)

Well...I've done (and spent) it all at wdw...

And though I'm rarely offended...I just have a problem with those that shell out several hundreds/thousands of dollars on exhorbinantly inflated passes being called freeloaders.

That would be like me calling those that go to port Orleans one week a year as lemmings because they're paying through the nose, they're predictable, and Disney doesn't feel the need to spend a cent to earn their business..

See? Wouldn't be right, would it?

We are visiting the world end of Oct and a week in Nov. I called to check if the magic bands would be up for our visit and they said since at OKW and a DVC member most likley not at this time. My question is if most resorts have the magic bands and people can get fast passes what does that leave for rest of us. Does it make it harder to get a fast pass or two for a day.

As I said previously some offsite people spend a lot. Compare the family that stays at a budget resort and gets free dining to the offsite visitor who comes for the same amount of time and pay OOP for all meals. I would think that Disney is making a good chunk of change on the offsite visitor just for that.

I'm playing it by ear. We will likely go this December but I wont buy Disney passes until I know more. We get a free offsite place to stay and I'm going to enjoy it even if we only do other things. I just wish that I knew something!

ZERO chance they ever move to a system where only resort guests will be able to get fast passes. ZERO.

I do see some kind of priority system for resort guests in the future though.

ZERO chance they ever move to a system where only resort guests will be able to get fast passes. ZERO.

I would agree here...

I would definitely see a priority system as an enticement in the future...especially if their radio direction system takes off and the trip is completely dependent upon it...they could use the fastpass privileges to sell resort rooms when times are slow...
But i just don't think that just the resorts (30,000 rooms give or take) would supply enough guests to use the whole system. Not with fastpass being virtually added to everything including...i cringe..."fireworks viewing" :headache:

the numbers wouldn't pan out for "resort only" fastpasses.

A tier system that also could be "purchased" by off-site stays? now that is right down the line for the dis...

ITA but Universal discontinued their free Express Pass program. Guests staying at Universal Hotels get free access to the Express Pass entrances other guests can pay for Express Pass access.

AFAIK Disney is the only park which offers free FP to all guests. Other parks charge extra.

ITA but Universal discontinued their free Express Pass program. Guests staying at Universal Hotels get free access to the Express Pass entrances other guests can pay for Express Pass access.

AFAIK Disney is the only park which offers free FP to all guests. Other parks charge extra.

Of course keep in mind that "free" and "included" are two very different concepts. The gate fee includes access to the fast pass system. Whether it will include it going forward is up for debate, but fast pass is hardly free.

I am pretty sure I understand how this is going to work.

If you have a Disney Resort reservation and a valid ticket or voucher, then you can schedule advance Fastpass+.

Everyone else must wait until same-day, and will use their RFID ticket (card or magicband) to obtain Fastpass+ for that day using the Kiosks, or if you carry a device with MDE running, link your ticket in and do it wirelessly.

DVC will participate fully if you buy tickets before you arrive.

Annual Passholders will participate fully if they book a resort stay, otherwise they can only do same day.

Yes, I am still speculating a bit, but based on my experience the last 2 weeks and the questions I asked this is how I have pieced it together.

Of course keep in mind that "free" and "included" are two very different concepts. The gate fee includes access to the fast pass system. Whether it will include it going forward is up for debate, but fast pass is hardly free.

I don't want to quibble (much). I object to calling an "extra" free if there is anyway to buy the underlying product cheaper without the free item. A store sells a TV set with a "free" stand. Next week the TV is sold at a lower price without the "free" stand. Pay full price for a ticket to Universal and you get a "free" bus ride. Buy a discounted ticket and you don't get the "free" bus ride.

Currently every Disney ticket is eligible for FP. It doesn't matter what you paid for your ticket or where you purchased it.

It's certainly not free to enter a Disney park. Once you enter the park there is no additional charge for FP. In that sense it's free.

I am pretty sure I understand how this is going to work.

If you have a Disney Resort reservation and a valid ticket or voucher, then you can schedule advance Fastpass+.

Everyone else must wait until same-day, and will use their RFID ticket (card or magicband) to obtain Fastpass+ for that day using the Kiosks, or if you carry a device with MDE running, link your ticket in and do it wirelessly.

DVC will participate fully if you buy tickets before you arrive.

Annual Passholders will participate fully if they book a resort stay, otherwise they can only do same day.

Yes, I am still speculating a bit, but based on my experience the last 2 weeks and the questions I asked this is how I have pieced it together.

I agree with this. The key is scheduling the FPs in advance...that will be the incentive to stay onsite.

I just spoke with a CM at the Little Mermaid FastPass+ line last night. She said FastPass+ will be rolled out to everyone, including annual passholders, BEFORE Christmas. She said its coming very soon.

Ethan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter