Encouraging words from Eisner

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
There's a link on the CBS Marketwatch page for an article that quotes Eisner as valuing media content over means of media access. For a change it discusses why expansion for Disney is a bad thing, and emphasizes a focus on the core of Disney's content (which is pretty much what we've all been saying for the last week or two).

Sarangel

... It's going to get darker, before it gets lighter!!

WOW!! Yes he is talking more about the core business. And that would seem a good thing. Except:
And now, Mr. Eisner is ready to get back in the game again, after spending a few years on what he considers the sidelines.
Whoa!!! He's going to get MORE personally involved!! What was DCA??!! My God!! It's gonna get worse!! More Disney "Ei$ner" style! :(

Excuse me, I have to lie down for a while! :rolleyes:

DVC, I vacillated on forming that opinion myself. There were times while reading the article that I felt like more micromanagement from Eisner would be a horrible thing. But then there were times that I thought that maybe Iger can really fill the roll of Wells. Trouble is, I don't know much about the guy. Could it be possible that Eisner/Iger could function like Eisner/Wells? Here's hoping, cause I don't think Eisner going anywhere any time soon.

Actions speak louder than words! We'll have to wait and see if he puts the money where his mouth
is!

:confused:

in interviews with the press about how involved he was. I seem to remember one particular interview where he bragged about his parking garage ideas....

It’s the nature of the CEO spin game, but I always get a chuckle when these guys do the mea culpa routine as a way to try to regain investor confidence.

It usually goes like this: “It’s not that I’ve been a bad CEO, or have made bad decisions, I’ve just gotten distracted lately. In fact, now that I am getting back to my strengths we will really be able to turn this thing around.”

And now, Mr. Eisner is ready to get back in the game again, after spending a few years on what he considers the sidelines.

At least he is admitting there are problems. Isn’t that the first step to recovery?

Spin aside there is some interesting material here.

Good to hear that STORY (content), MAGIC (substituted for silly), and SHOW are still in their vocabulary and I assume their mission statement. Also good to hear him reference Walt’s philosophy.

I'm nervous that we'll all — including me — lose sight," he says. "I have to tie myself to the vision and I have to say to myself, `What is Disney? But for us, the main product is intellectual product, or content….watch a television show in a group or you go to a theme park and you see people react, then you start to understand content. And it is our single driver.

You ask what is the soul of the company and what is our direction? I'm trying to be the bridge from what Walt Disney made and created," he added, "to whoever will be the next person after me that maintains that same philosophy of `Let's put on a show.' Let's be silly. We're a silly company. Let's never not be a silly company.

I agree that actions will be key, but it is at least comforting to hear the words again.

I think we also debated whether he sees himself as a businessman or creative head.

But that may be because he genuinely sees himself as an entertainment producer who happens to be running a big company, rather than as an executive whose company happens to be in the media business.

Mr. Eisner is counting on Mr. Iger to make the trains run on time while Mr. Eisner himself concentrates on the movies, shows and theme parks that are still his passion.

"When Frank Wells was here, I was 90 percent in creative and 10 percent in making big decisions and Frank was the opposite," Mr. Eisner says, almost wistfully. "And when Frank died I ran it by myself for a while, which was fine. Then I made a mistake and that really put me back. And then I ran it for a little while longer alone and then Bob came in."

That seems pretty clear.

Question: Is the TV distribution model that much different than the internet distribution model?

Mr. Murphy is working on a plan to use television broadcast spectrum to transmit movies overnight to hard-drive devices, much like Tivo recorders, that sit atop televisions. The boxes might store 100 movies at a time, from Disney and other studios.

While Eisner downplayed the need to get bigger and acknowledged the risk of losing their way (more than they already have I guess), it seems like they are still intent on being a wide media content provider.

"We see movies as the Trojan horse. Once you have a relationship with the customer and you have a big hard drive in their house, there's all sorts of different data you can put on there. It can be music, it can be TV, it can be text."

So the creative Michael is back. If this isn’t a good news / bad news story.

I have been critical of his micro-management and authoritative style. If he was better at creating an open/empowered organization than the creative side wouldn’t have suffered so much when he stopped paying attention to it. When you are use to having someone else always making your decisions it can be quite paralyzing when it stops doing so.

While I would be happier if someone else was given their chance to be the creative mentor of the company, things have gotten so bad that a refocused Eisner is starting to look good. As I’ve said before I was reasonably happy with the product being produced up until the early 90’s. Maybe, we can at least get back to that level???

...but there's something that bothers me about Eisner's statements.

He refers to the current state of the creative side of the company as being attributable to "lack of attention." But in the case of feature animation particularly, the results we've seen are more accurately described as "bloodletting." If he thinks they've made mistakes by cutting the content-producing aspects of their company and he wants to reverse the trend, just say so: I'd start the standing O, myself. But to say "oops, I must not have been paying attention when I signed all those pink slips," well, that's a crock.

I agree with larworth that admitting you have a problem is the first step to implementing a solution. I just really need to see some actual steps in that direction before I get my hopes up much.

Jeff

I read somewhere that DCA was Eisner's wife's idea.

Wish I could remember the source. If this contention is true, it's pretty sad when major players in entertainment companies aren't capable to do their own work and instead, allow their spouses to make decisions for them over a ham and cheese sandwich.

Joe

I read somewhere that DCA was Eisner's wife's idea.

Sorry, I don't think that's entirely accurate. I believe DCA was cooked up during one of the corperate retreats.

But I have read that Splash was approved because Ei$ner's son saw the model in the Imagineering workshop and thought it would be a great ride.

Hey Mike, ask your kid what he thinks of DCA....

I don't know which son it was, but one of his desperatly wants to be George Lucas, also, if you look at my poll results on the Debate board, Splash mountain was the number 1 Disney attraction. Maybe Eisner's son knows something. :)

As to the story. I've been harping for a while now that Eisner has the talents to do entertainment right. Now he's saying that's his goal. I hope he's telling the truth and I hope he hasn't lost his edge.

IN DISNEY MAGAZINE IT SAIS DCA WAS CREATED BY ALL THE IMAGINEERS SITTING IN GROUPS AND THINKING UP IDEAS-DONT KNOW HOW ACCURATE THE ARTICLE IS THOUGH

As I've always agrued, the reasons for growth weren't motivated by greed but for survival, how they will fight that battle going forward remains to be seen, especially since the issues with Wallstreet have to be dealt with (like it or not). But it is at least great to hear the words from Eisner's mouth that something is indeed amiss. I, as will come as no surprise, will give Mike the benefit of the doubt and hope against hope that core, Disney-type improvements are where he starts his fix.

Lastly, it seems Robert Iger's name is appearing front and center more and more often. As the Pirate suggested some tme ago, I think the Big Cheese of the future is already in training...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

While Disney CA was not popular, they still made a huge profit because the place was so cheap to make

Hi, everyone back from mini-vacation. Just catching up but interesting article. My take is that Eisner has started to feel some heat, woke up and smelled the coffee. And it is burnt. Since Rome wasn't built in a day. I will now cut some slack and give him 1 year to see if words are changed into action.

Any one else care to come along for the ride and put away your barbs for the time being.

Eisner's decision to remove Horizons and World of Motion from Epcot was a bad move. I can't believe he did that. Not to mention destroying the Imagination ride - the old one was so much better. Come on Michael, if I were in charge, I wouldn't let that happen. Forget making more $$ with McDonald's happy meals and let's stick with the magic.

King Triton

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter