Enchanted Tiki Room to be "reminiscent of the original show"

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Official, via the Disney Parks Blog:

Enchanted Tiki Room: Classic Attraction Transforms This Summer

...The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) at Magic Kingdom Park is already undergoing changes behind closed doors that will reshape the attraction into a version reminiscent of the original show.

The latest version of the attraction, which will be called Enchanted Tiki Room, will debut at Magic Kingdom Park later this summer. Be sure to check the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on the attraction’s progress.

No specifics as to what will change yet...

Good! I was so tired of the Iago "screaming" throughout the show and I wonder if the controversy Gilbert Goffreid got in (voice of Iago who got fired from being the AFLAC duck voice) didn't move the rehab along a bit faster;)
This is one of our fave classic attractions :love:

Good! I was so tired of the Iago "screaming" throughout the show and I wonder if the controversy Gilbert Goffreid got in (voice of Iago who got fired from being the AFLAC duck voice) didn't move the rehab along a bit faster;)
This is one of our fave classic attractions :love:

Well, the fire moved the rehab on... :)

Having never seen the original, I gotta admit I never minded the Under New Management version. That being said, I am Excited to finally see the original attraction. I'm very curious as to what they mean when they say it will closely resemble the original. New AA? New songs? Can't wait for more news on this!

This is a copy of a response I made on a previous post:

There's no doubt that the Tiki Room needed updating. The under new management version was getting old fast. We went to Disneyland this past year, and the Tiki room there has the old version. I was really looking forward to it, because I could remember how much I liked it as a child. Unfortunately, it almost put us to sleep. It wasn't nearly as good as I had remembered. I hope his new version is different from the version at Disneyland, or at least jazzed up a little bit.

I assume (hope?!) this means they're doing away with the disaster that is Iago. I heard a rumor that the animatronic Iago birds were fried during the fire and I was unreasonably pleased.

Get rid of Zazu and (especially) Iago, keep the goddess character, do a longer version of original song, and rework the story a bit to keep it moving and they'll have a winner on their hands.

I never saw the original and I have to say I didn't mind 'under new management'.

I'm looking forward to seeing it open, but I hope they keep Zazu (Iago I don't care for but I love Zazu!)

IMHO the original was boring... the under new management was boring... I'm hoping the new version won't be boring but I'm not holding my breath! lol! ;)

Do you think its possible that the reason its taking so long to reopen is that we'll be seeing all new AA in this ride? That could explain why they they keep saying it'll be close to the original instead of that it WILL BE the original. Thoughts?

Do you think its possible that the reason its taking so long to reopen is that we'll be seeing all new AA in this ride? That could explain why they they keep saying it'll be close to the original instead of that it WILL BE the original. Thoughts?

Just a guess, but I figure that this "new/old" version at MK will be the same show that is currently running at Disneyland.

It is just a slightly shortened version of the full original show.

The Tiki Room is like COP for me. It's the nastalgia of when I went to the Magic Kingdom when it was Disney World. I've lost the sky ride, 20,000 leagues and other things over time. I understand they have to keep things fresh, but I just found under new managment obnoxious. It may be boring to today's gotta have everything in your face crowd, but I can tell you this old man will be willing to make a special trip to see an old friend make a comeback.

Ooh, let me guess. Characters on screens???

It seems that every new thing they do has characters on screens. Like they can't come up with an idea that doesn't involve characters on screens. This is very disappointing to me because I can see characters on screens at home.

One thing with characters on screens is very much like the next thing with characters on screens and after a while, I get very tired of characters on screens.

Most stuff that they New and Improve ends up worse than the original (and, of course, often involves characters on screens.)

But the 3rd version of Figment is better than the 2nd one was, so maybe the 3rd version of the Tiki Room will be, too.

I am cautiously hopeful.

I can't wait until my next trip to WDW to see this attraction! Granted, it prolly won't be until 2013, but I still am looking forward to it. The only part of the Under New Management show I will miss is the preshow featuring the late, great Phil Hartman and Don Rickles.

Ooh, let me guess. Characters on screens???

It seems that every new thing they do has characters on screens. Like they can't come up with an idea that doesn't involve characters on screens. This is very disappointing to me because I can see characters on screens at home.

One thing with characters on screens is very much like the next thing with characters on screens and after a while, I get very tired of characters on screens.

:confused: Turtle Talk, Laugh Floor, TS Mania... That's a lot of vitriol for tech used in a whopping three attractions.

Anyway, content. There was a new rumor I read today that the "New Old" Tiki Room may be "randomized" somehow. (Oh noes, randomizing is the new characters on screens! OK, I'll stop.) I wonder if they'll use some of the Living Character Initiative technology?

:confused: Turtle Talk, Laugh Floor, TS Mania... That's a lot of vitriol for tech used in a whopping three attractions.

You're leaving out the Finding Nemo Clamshells at the Seas.

However, of the three you did mention, one of them (TSM) is, by far, the most sought-after new attraction at WDW,
and another (Turtle Talk) is one of the most well-executed and entertaining attractions,
and Laugh Floor is just a solid work-horse attraction.

I'd say that's a pretty effective use of "characters on screens" technology.

LOVE the original DL show and hope they can include all of it at WDW. If there are any modifications I hope they fit the original theme well. The outside setting and the totems that interact at DL set the stage for the attraction inside. It would be nice if WDW included that element.

I have to say, the regulars at DL make the attraction that much better when everyone knows the words and sings along. And I normally am all for quiet in an attraction. But then I would also like it if it was just the show and no other guests - it's really peaceful and beautiful and tropical in there. I love looking around at all the totem poles moving and the "rain and thunderstorms outside". It's just really great kitchy polynesia nostalgia. Love the flowers and birdies too. Nothing I don't like about the DL version.

I did grow up with it (west coaster) but I think I actually enjoy it even more as an adult.

We make a point of seeing it more than once at DL and skipping it at WDW.

You're leaving out the Finding Nemo Clamshells at the Seas.

However, of the three you did mention, one of them (TSM) is, by far, the most sought-after new attraction at WDW,
and another (Turtle Talk) is one of the most well-executed and entertaining attractions,
and Laugh Floor is just a solid work-horse attraction.

I'd say that's a pretty effective use of "characters on screens" technology.

Does Philharmagic count? Love that one.

I prefer the ones that are not interactive with the audience. I'll try something like Turtle Talk once and try to fly under the radar so I don't get picked by the character, but they aren't my cup of tea. I don't think I would try the Laugh Floor.

1- Does Philharmagic count? Love that one.

2- I prefer the ones that are not interactive with the audience. I'll try something like Turtle Talk once and try to fly under the radar so I don't get picked by the character, but they aren't my cup of tea. I don't think I would try the Laugh Floor.

1- You could count the 3D/4D films if you like. I wouldn't.
I might include the current incarnation of "Imagination," with so much of Figment seen on the screens.

2- There is nothing to "fear" in Disney's interactive shows...
ESPECIALLY Turtle Talk.

Crush is all about the little kids (who sit on the floor in the front.)

I loved the original and it was something we were sure to do every visit. After seeing "Under New Management" once, we've never been back. I am very much looking forward to this new version. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter