Employment as a parameidc or an rn

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
I'm sorry if I asked something similar to this before but...My son has been a lifeguard for 7yrs on a very busy beach and does some basic life saving in his job. He loves his job. He particularly likes rescues. He is in school to be a teacher however, employment is looking grim. He is looking at enrolling in a program in the fall that starts you with your emt cert and transitions you into either paramedic or rn. The program is run thru the community college in conjunction with a local hospital who you work for for a period of time. He prefers the idea of paramedic as he likes the idea of being a first responder and would especially like to be involved in helicopter work when he gets sufficient experience. He has done a ride along in an ambulance.
Given that he's invested time into his teaching degree I want to know that what he chooses is a valid choice. I am concerned about pay rates for paramedics and when he does research he sees many different numbers. Also, it seems that it is possible that man hospitals privatize their paramedics and these firms pay low and don't treat their employees very well. Both the paramedic and nursing programs are two year associate degree programs which will accept the same amount of his existing credits. Both actually will take a bit longer then two years and he will work as an emt and on the beach while he goes to school. He is an adult and will make his own decision. I want him to be happy on his job. But I do want him to know all of the basic facts about the job. I suspect he may like paramedic a bit more initially but he might find a niche in nursing that he enjoys as much such as er. Thanks if you can help.

My DH is a paramedic. The pay rate would be much better for an RN than a medic. Another thought would be to get the RN and then work on the requirements to be a flight nurse (medical helicopter). DH was recently hired as a flight medic, which is does on his days off from his f/t job, and he loves it. However, he had to work as a medic for 5 years before he could apply (that may vary) and there were a lot of other things he had to do before he could fly--clinical time, other classes, etc. He was hired in October and it took him until the end of March to get everything done. There were a few others hired with him who aren't done. The helicopter he works for is hospital based/owned and uses a flight medic and nurse both on each flight. His regular ground-medic job is through a county agency. There are a few private owned EMS services around here but they mainly do transports from our small hospital to either nursing homes or larger hospitals a few hours away.

I am assuming your dh likes his job as a paramedic and enjoys the aspects of it that are involved in chopper work. Would he have liked being an rn as much? If he had to start over would he have gone the rn route due to the pay difference? Do you know how much of a pay difference there is? It also seems to me that there are more opportunities to advance in pay and job diversity as an rn.
My son knows of the five year experience for the chopper program and the other requirements.

I would encourage the RN program. He will find many many more employment opportunities with an RN than with a paramedic lic. And he can do everything as an RN that he can do as a paramedic. Most medivac helicopters use RN's. Or he can work in an ER. The salary range is higher for RN's than paramedic also.

I followed a very similar course but I had my BS in elem ed, was working in a parochial school with dim job prospects and was teaching for the Red Cross and was a volunteer EMT. Decided to go back to school for my BSN.
Depending on how many credits he has he may want to check on getting his BSN it may not be much longer.

Any how I worked full time as an EMT, 4-12 and went to nursing school during the day. After some experience getting time on a med surg floor I mover to the ER and loved it. He could work in an ER and get experience and then work on a transport team.

I would encourage him to make the switch now because it is extremely hard to find teaching jobs and it isn't going to get easier for a long time.

Thanks. I like being able to tell him he can be a part of a transport team as an rn, which would be similar to paramedic, right? He did not take any classes last semester and just worked. Many of his friends graduated with their teaching cert and no work after a year or more. It's a shame because it's what he really wants to do.
Also, he loves working as a lifeguard. They have many long term guards who work a shift work job like medic and guard two or three days per week in the summer. This is what he is hoping to do. He knows it is possible as a paramedic and is hoping it is still possible as an rn.

I am assuming your dh likes his job as a paramedic and enjoys the aspects of it that are involved in chopper work. Would he have liked being an rn as much? If he had to start over would he have gone the rn route due to the pay difference? Do you know how much of a pay difference there is? It also seems to me that there are more opportunities to advance in pay and job diversity as an rn.
My son knows of the five year experience for the chopper program and the other requirements.

My DH loves his job! He was an engineer for 10 years, and he hated that; he was an EMT in college and had wanted to be a paramedic then, but his dad pushed hard for a "good paying job", and he gave in.

It's been about 6 years since he left his engineering job and got his paramedic. He won't consider nursing right now. He said possibly, maybe, when he gets "too old" to work on the truck, he might consider getting his RN, but it's just not what he wants right now and if he had to work on a medical floor he wouldn't do it. He really enjoyed the clinical hours he did in the NICU, PICU, and ER for the helicopter, but he didn't like his rotations on the regular medical floors at all. As far as what he would do if he could start over, I think he would go the same way. He had a big paying job but it didn't make him happy, and I think he sees nursing the same way. In this area, he would make close to twice an hour starting out as an RN than he makes as a medic, basing that on the job postings I've seen at the hospital I work for (I'm not in nursing). Several of his medic coworkers have gotten their RN in the last 2-3 years, but none have given up EMS completely. I swear, it gets in their blood. He works 24 hour shifts on the truck, with 48 hours off in between. Some places have set days, some rotate. Those hours give him more free time to spend with our boys, coach soccer, pursue the helicopter (they hire only part time around here, then fill the full-time positions from the part timers). A lot of the medics we know work part time for other services on their days off.

I don't know of any EMS ground units that use RN's, but I live in the middle of nowhere, at least 2 hours from a city of any size. Could he go ahead and get the RN and then just take the remainder of the classes that are different so he can work as a medic on the side?

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me!!

You are a big help. The shifts are part of the appeal to paramedic. He has heard his schedule will allow him to continue to coach track and lifeguard. In addition beach patrol hires paramedics. He can pursue his interests. At this point in his life he's not really interested in money. I know by himself he'll be fine. I'm worried that in a few more years if children enter the picture he may regret not going for the r.n. He feels he can do paramedic for a few years and if he wants more money he can go for the rn. I don't care if that is what he does. I just want him to know the pay scale for the two jobs, the ability for employment and advancement and make an informed decision. The cost for the program is pretty high and he may take on some debt. I want him to be happy with the money he spends.
Also, he loves to snowboard and would like to consider spending a year or two working and living in Utah to snowboard. He would like a career choice where he could do that a bit while he's young.

I know you asked about RN or EMT, but has your son considered a career as a firefighter?

My brother is a Captain in his FD. He earns a very good salary & loves his job. In his FD, all firefighters are required to be paramedics of the highest degree, with advanced life-saving skills. In our area, we have tiered response & the firefighters are usually first on scene. My brother said the vast majority of their calls are medical.

Since your son also likes teaching, a firefighting career would also be great because of all the public education. My brother visits schools 2-3x/month to talk to the children about fire safety.

He has taken courses in water & mountain rescue, done Life flights, remote rescue etc. They work 24 hour shifts and have a lot of time off.

Firefighters are awesome people. I have never met one who didn't love what they did for a living.

He would love to be on a FD but that is a tough one to get around here. He has taken the placement test and is on the list in several places.

He would love to be on a FD but that is a tough one to get around here. He has taken the placement test and is on the list in several places.

Yes, it is tough to get in here as well. It used to be that most firefighters were hired right out of highschool, but no more.

My brother started off as a volunteer paramedic & then continued volunteering while he went to college to earn his EMT designation. I think it was a 2 year program to get the highest level. He worked as a full-time paramedic for a few years and then applied to the FD and was accepted.

He also has a lot of mechanical aptitude and can take apart anything & put it back together, working better than before. This is also a highly sought skillset for firefighters. I seem to recall he needed certain advanced drivers' licences for heavy vehicles which he also obtained before he applied to the FD.

There are college firefighter programs as well but I think paramedic graduates are more sought after by FD's.

Are there any volunteer paramedic or firefighter opportunities in your area?

Good Luck to him...it sounds like firefighting would be a good fit for him.

Paramedic = Male, RN= Female, thats good old school sexism 101

:sad2:

I'm a floor nurse, and don't know a lot about paramedic vs RN. What I do know I know from clinical and hospital sponsered practicums. At our hospital they emply paramedics in the ER. They did essentially the same job for less pay.

I love being a nurse- most of the time. Sometimes I can't believe I get paid to do what I do- other times I swear I'm moving to Vegas for another career opportunity (better hours, better pay, less chance for disease ;))

:sad2:

I'm a floor nurse, and don't know a lot about paramedic vs RN. What I do know I know from clinical and hospital sponsered practicums. At our hospital they emply paramedics in the ER. They did essentially the same job for less pay.

I love being a nurse- most of the time. Sometimes I can't believe I get paid to do what I do- other times I swear I'm moving to Vegas for another career opportunity (better hours, better pay, less chance for disease ;))

LOL, depends on what you are doing in Vegas;)

My DH is a FF/paramedic working on his nursing degree. I know your son is young but just tell him that the more education he can get the better off he'll be. Doors open with every bit of education that he can get!

I'm sorry. I saw this post last night but didn't have time to respond.

Tiggeroo said:
Both the paramedic and nursing programs are two year associate degree programs which will accept the same amount

I suspect he may like paramedic a bit more initially but he might find a niche in nursing that he enjoys as much such as er.

Just wanted to mention that Med Flight jobs will require a BSN and LOTS of great experience, certifications, etc. There aren't too many of these jobs available so they are very selective - and the pay is low compared to that of an equally experienced trauma center RN.

Role of the Flight Nurse

RNs that make it onto a plane or rescue helicopter have earned some serious stripes in the Nursing Industry. These are not jobs open to new grads still wet behind the ears from nursing school. You might imagine the level of expertise and preparedness it could take to win a spot on a flight team….

Flight nurses are a sub-specialty of Trauma Nurse that take emergency care to the skies. It’s like a super-charged EMT but with even more aggressive patient care tactics. Flight crews are common at large trauma hospitals where flight teams rspond to accidents, disasters, and transport critically ill patients sometimes over hundreds of miles, or far beyond the ground an ambulance could respond to. The goal of each mission: to triage, stabilize and transport as many victims as possible to a medical center able to more adequately handle these types of incidents.

Nursing School Programs for Flight Nurses

Flight nursing, in and of itself, is not packaged into any formal nursing school degree. However there is a logical educational and professional track to follow in nursing that could put you squarely in contention for such a job should you prove the mettle.

First, most flight nurses are expected to earn an MSN or BSN at the least. Almost a requirement is experience in Emergency Nursing—ED or trauma unit. Critical Care nurses are often considered as well. In the ED you gain the know-how necessary to manage a constantly changing patient ebb and flow where a wide variety of mild conditions to life-threatening traumas can exist in tandem. In an ED RNs learn to sink or swim, to fly by the seat of their pants and make split-second life-changing decisions based on excellent nursing judgment and attention to patient care and safety.

If you can do this successfully for a few years then you may be ready to compete for a flight nurse job. “Compete,” is the operative term. Flight nurse job positions are limited and not available everywhere. Furthermore flight nurses are seriously committed to their jobs, so there is hardly a glut of openings. You’ll have to pursue a job at a large Level I or II trauma center most likely.

The key to landing a flight nurse job: the more advanced and trauma-targeted your training, the better.

Further Certification Requirements
You can help advance your qualifications with membership in the Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) and by opting to take the Certified Flight RN exam. Other possible certifications and qualifications include:

•EMT certification
•Various life support certifications—neonate, pediatric, geriatric, etc.
•Disaster management certification
On the job training for Flight Nurses ensures new job candidates are skilled with specialized flight equipment and understand the scope of practice in this ultra-specialized environment. Prospective RN flight nurses may be required to complete in-flight clinical hours to meet job pre-requisites, as well.

Average salary for a flight RN is $66,000.

http://nursingschool.org/nursing-careers/specialties/flight/

Since no one else has addressed this issue head on:

I understand the attraction of being a lifeguard/paramedic for your son at this stage in his life. However, being a paramedic is a job for the young, in my opinion. Not many 40-50 year olds want to, or are capable of, transporting 300+ lb patients down three flights of stairs, among the million other tasks that require a healthy strong body. How many jobs are there for paramedics that don't require hands on patient contact? What do paramedics do for employment as they age?

Nursing provides all the excitement and variety of emergency care that being a paramedic does. Many places, outside of hospital facilities, use RNs as first responders. However, as one begins to age and have less physical ability, there are many avenues and options open to nurses. Nursing research, employee health, phone triage to name a few. There are many options that don't require direct contact with patients. With additional education, a nurse can easily work in other disciplines as well.

IMHO, the smartest option for your son would be to pursue nursing and seek out an area that will fulfill his need for excitement and the other parameters he is seeking in a job. My DH told his mother he wanted to become a paramedic in the early 80s. She, being a hospital dietician, told him to become a nurse. He did so and is now a CRNA and absolutely loves his job. Good luck to your son.

If I read correctly your son has college credits towards an education degree? He should 1st see if he can transition those credits into a nursing major. He may only need 2 or so more years to have a bachelor's degree, and this will increase his ability to find a job.

As for paramedic/RN, in our area (I'm in South Jersey) RNs make about $30,000 more a year than paramedics. ... just a thought....

There is also a lot of different opportunities as an RN then there are as a paramedic. I work in the ER, but there is flight (which is admittedly hard to get into) floor, ICU, offices, long term care.... the list goes on.

I am not a paramedic or a RN. However, I often have to call out paramedics to attend to emergencies. One thing that paramedics do that some people like and others do not is attend to horrific situations. As first responders they deal with things in the heat of the moment and it takes a special kind of person to do something like that. Not everybody is suited.

Working as a RN in a hospital has it's own high stress adrenaline adventures but it is different than attending to a scene on the highway or in somebody's house.

Since no one else has addressed this issue head on:

I understand the attraction of being a lifeguard/paramedic for your son at this stage in his life. However, being a paramedic is a job for the young, in my opinion. Not many 40-50 year olds want to, or are capable of, transporting 300+ lb patients down three flights of stairs, among the million other tasks that require a healthy strong body. How many jobs are there for paramedics that don't require hands on patient contact? What do paramedics do for employment as they age?

Nursing provides all the excitement and variety of emergency care that being a paramedic does. Many places, outside of hospital facilities, use RNs as first responders. However, as one begins to age and have less physical ability, there are many avenues and options open to nurses. Nursing research, employee health, phone triage to name a few. There are many options that don't require direct contact with patients. With additional education, a nurse can easily work in other disciplines as well.

IMHO, the smartest option for your son would be to pursue nursing and seek out an area that will fulfill his need for excitement and the other parameters he is seeking in a job. My DH told his mother he wanted to become a paramedic in the early 80s. She, being a hospital dietician, told him to become a nurse. He did so and is now a CRNA and absolutely loves his job. Good luck to your son.

I was thinking the same thing-as you get older, being able to do the job of a paramedic is going to be more and more difficult-and advancement opportunities just aren't there like you will find with RN positions.

If he goes the RN route I would strongly encourage him to get a 4 year degree vs a 2 year degree. I know it is not the same everywhere but around here you won't get hired without a 4 year degree, the advancement opportunities are much better with a 4 year degree and the pay is better. At least with an RN background if you are not longer physically able to do patient care there are administrative jobs available.

Also, there are hospitals, clinics, etc. everywhere. Not all areas use paramedics. Most ambulance crews are staffed with EMT's, not necessarily paramedics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter