• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Emergency situation

MommaluvsDis

DIS Veteran
We are at WDWwith our grandson and ex- daughter-in-law. Long story short, she and my son are divorced but she and DGS live with DH and I.

Her grandmother who is in a nursing home has been taken to the hospital non responsive. Her grandmother fell about two months ago, suffered a blood clot on the brain and had successful surgery. She is 90.

We are all suppose to cruise on the Dream on Thursday. Now, ex daughter-in-law has sole custody.

Can I get a letter from Disney, have her sign it, get it notarized and take him with us without my sons signature? She brought her divorce and custody papers with her.

I booked our return flights on Southwest using points, so I can fly her home without penalty.

I did get insurance on the cruise but will they reimburse under these circumstances?

Thanks and please tell me what I need to do.

If you have the custody paperwork, I would have her sign a letter giving you consent to travel on xyz cruise line ship, on xyz dates, with stops here, here, and here. Just because im a worrier and like to be over documented/over prepared.

you are asking if you and your husband can take your grandson on the cruise without his mother (who has sole custody)? :confused3

Sorry for everything you guys are going through right now. I, personally, would contact DCL to get the final word on this. What you are basically asking is if you and your DH can take your grandson on the cruise and your ex DIL will fly home to be her grandmother?

As far as insurance, you would have to ask your insurance company as each policy is different.

Good luck and hope everything works out.

MJ

Sorry, yes, I am asking if DH , DGS and I can cruise without mom if she gives us a letter saying it is okay on this short notice. She has sole custody.

Sorry, yes, I am asking if DH , DGS and I can cruise without mom if she gives us a letter saying it is okay on this short notice. She has sole custody.

While I don't think anyone can give you a yes or no in your situation as it stands....Yes, with proper documentation people take children who are not theirs or who they do not have custody of, on cruises all the time. Grandparents can take grand-kids, aunts can take nieces, etc. I know there is a form on DCL's site for taking a child you do not have custody of. Hopefully someone else can give more info.

You should have no problem. Disney has a form on their website if the child is not traveling without either parent. You can have it notarized and should have no problems. My mom takes my DS on a Disney cruise each summer without me and I have sole custody of my DS. Last year they went to Alaska and the only people who asked to see the custody papers was immigration at the border leaving Seattle. This summer they went on the Canada cruise and nobody asked.

We are at WDWwith our grandson and ex- daughter-in-law. Long story short, she and my son are divorced but she and DGS live with DH and I.

Her grandmother who is in a nursing home has been taken to the hospital non responsive. Her grandmother fell about two months ago, suffered a blood clot on the brain and had successful surgery. She is 90.

We are all suppose to cruise on the Dream on Thursday. Now, ex daughter-in-law has sole custody.

Can I get a letter from Disney, have her sign it, get it notarized and take him with us without my sons signature? She brought her divorce and custody papers with her.

I booked our return flights on Southwest using points, so I can fly her home without penalty.

I did get insurance on the cruise but will they reimburse under these circumstances?

Thanks and please tell me what I need to do.

Call Disney ASAP!

I would also go online and fill out a medical power of attorney. That way if you need medical care for your GS during the cruise you can do so.

Hi everyone,
I am. So happy to report that mother got to cruise with us but mainly that her grandmother went through surgery and is doing well.

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter