Emergency Road Service Recommendation?

Nikfour

Nikki Who Loves Mickey!
Hi!
We were on our way back from the Fort on Sunday when we popped a tire on our RV!
We have AAA RV but they said they were NOT able to tow us b/c it was a blown back tire. They were not even able to change the tire. I felt like what is the point in having AAA???? Anyways. We had to have a tire service come out and $400 later....we were on the road again.

We would really like to look into Emergency Services other than AAA for our future use.
Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thank You!

Nikki

Hi!
We were on our way back from the Fort on Sunday when we popped a tire on our RV!
We have AAA RV but they said they were NOT able to tow us b/c it was a blown back tire. They were not even able to change the tire. I felt like what is the point in having AAA???? Anyways. We had to have a tire service come out and $400 later....we were on the road again.

We would really like to look into Emergency Services other than AAA for our future use.

Thank You!

Nikki

Over the years I've had AAA (both the plus and RV plus), GS, and CoachNet. Our new trailer came with 1 year of CoachNet which I just renewed.

For all around coverage especially with an RV based on what I have read over the last several months I will be keeping CoachNet and I have already dropped the AAA RV plus and will drop that down to just the basic AAA for me only before I renew my AAA again. Keeping AAA basically for WDW discount since this year it saved us over $300 on CG fees.

Larry

Over the years I've had AAA (both the plus and RV plus), GS, and CoachNet. Our new trailer came with 1 year of CoachNet which I just renewed.

For all around coverage especially with an RV based on what I have read over the last several months I will be keeping CoachNet and I have already dropped the AAA RV plus and will drop that down to just the basic AAA for me only before I renew my AAA again. Keeping AAA basically for WDW discount since this year it saved us over $300 on CG fees.

Larry

Larry- I know this is a "questionable" question :-)confused: ), but I've had good luck here in Florida with AAA for the RV. Thankfully, I've only used it twice in about 10 years. Does CoachNet have as large a network at AAA for RV's??

Hi!

Thank You!

Nikki

What the heck is the point of having RV road service if they cant work on an RV. I think I would make some phone calls on that one. I can see where a standard road service vehicle wouldnt be able to handle a larger tire replacement but it sounds to me like they didnt want to pony up for the appropriate service. Did the $400 include a new tire ? Typically around here we pay $75 for a service call and then about $40 labor for each mount/dismount, then of course the price of the tire.

Scott

We have Good Sam. Luckily I've never had to use it, but I have several friends who have used it and said it worked out great. Plus I read many positive things about Good Sam on some of the RV forums. For that small fee a year it sure does beat a $600 or more towing bill.

Good luck with your research.

Hi!

Thank You!

Nikki

I have to agree what exactly is the point of paying for AAA RV..and then they can't help you out?..
We have AAA ..the regular service for your car.
We are insured with Progressive for the RV, and they say they provide road service for it as well, now I'm wondering just what they really cover.:confused3

Wow, I use AAA rv for the discount at fort wilderness and roadside coverage. Maybe I go back to Sams rv

We use Allstate RV roadside assistance through KOA. First year fees are $74.96 for your RV and all of your cars. Only had to used it once, but they were very fast and efficient. Here is a link that I found:

http://www.koa.com/rvroadhelp/

You also get a 1 year membership to KOA's Value Kard program (discounts)

Hope this helps!

We have AAA RV Plus too. We got a nail in our tire. Luckily we made it home ok (it wasn't leaking much air at all) and I called them. They could come and change the tire for us as long as we had a spare but it sounded like only if we were still on the road they wouldn't come to the house (they were a little confusing to me). Well, at the time we didn't. Just didn't think about it yet. (Really ticks me off that when you spend all that money on a motorhome they can't give you a spare tire:mad: :mad: )

We ended up finding a tire place that could take care of changing the tire for us. We also got another rim and tire so now we have a spare. Hopefully we won't ever have this problem again. This was close to $800 bucks later. :mad:

We didn't really get to see how AAA would handle things because we didn't have the spare but it seems like they would have/could have if we had one but if we were on the road probably not since we had made it home but maybe. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We also have a road side assistance that came with our motorhome through Ford which I have heard from others is very nice.

I am confused after reading the posts. Has anyone ever had road side assistance for a flat or any other TT or Motorhome repair. I had a 'situation' and I called one number after another from Yellowpages that advertised Emergency RV service and Roadside assistance. Nobody would come out and help me with my TT sitting on the Interstate. All of them told me to have it towed in by a wrecker service and then they would make the repair in the shop.:confused3

Larry- I know this is a "questionable" question :-)confused: ), but I've had good luck here in Florida with AAA for the RV. Thankfully, I've only used it twice in about 10 years. Does CoachNet have as large a network at AAA for RV's??

Well I believe they do and only time will tell as I have never over the years had to use anything for the TT so I'm basing my decisions on having read many, many threads asking about which is the best and also the horror stories from both AAA and GS with very few if any about CoachNet. From everything I've heard CoachNet seems to get it right the first time as to what to send and they even have an RV tech line you can use on the road and IIRC even cover you in Canada. I've read stories where AAA has refused to tow dually pickups and the RV Plus is a regional thing, etc., etc. Also, the CoachNet is around $100/year (you have to belong to one of the many clubs, mine being the HR one to get that price) and my last AAA RV Plus for the two us was close to $175.

Now I've probably gone and jinxed myself and will break down going back to Va and have a bad experience with CoachNet :lmao:

Larry

We had a flat tire on our RV when we pulled into FW on our last trip. At the time we had Good Sam Roadside service. They were very good. They immediately dispatched a tire company to come out and fix the tire. It had a bad tire valve stem which had caused all the air to leak out. We just signed up for AAA because of the discount on the campsite but will switch back to Good Sam when this expires.

Hi!

Thank You!

Nikki

We have Good Sam Club RV Emergency Road Service. We've had a tire changed and been towed when a belt broke. I think it costs us $119 or $129/year. One year they actually towed us to a campground because it was a Sunday and no repair shops were open. We have a MH so when they tow they use the big tow trucks.

As a followup ....

As an example scroll down to page 4 in THIS THREAD (hopefully the link will take you to page 4 and read forward from the post by jsikora on 10/27/08 at 8:33PM and this type of thing with AAA from my reading is all too common.

GS is sort of a hit or miss kind of thing just as you can see if you read that entire thread linked above.

As far as CoachNet goes THIS THREAD is what I see typically when CoachNet is discussed.

Larry

What the heck is the point of having RV road service if they cant work on an RV. I think I would make some phone calls on that one. I can see where a standard road service vehicle wouldnt be able to handle a larger tire replacement but it sounds to me like they didnt want to pony up for the appropriate service. Did the $400 include a new tire ? Typically around here we pay $75 for a service call and then about $40 labor for each mount/dismount, then of course the price of the tire.

Scott

Yes! It did include the tire. I guess we are so fortunate (ha ha) to have special tires that are only made by Michelin that cost 350.00. I think we need to replace 5 more b/c the one that blew was 8 yrs old. That will be quite pricey!

Nikki

I agree that GS ERS is hit and miss. I have had numerous occasions to use them (sadly). Sometimes the service is flawless other than the slow response (which is universal). Other times it has been down-right infuriating. I have twice requested a tow by a big-rig tow and they sent a flatbed tow truck! The last guy actually tried to pick the front end with his flatbad and lifted his tow truck off the ground... nothing like waiting 4 hours for the WRONG TRUCK! I am still a subscriber, but I may look into CoachNet when it is up.

Well I believe they do and only time will tell as I have never over the years had to use anything for the TT so I'm basing my decisions on having read many, many threads asking about which is the best and also the horror stories from both AAA and GS with very few if any about CoachNet. From everything I've heard CoachNet seems to get it right the first time as to what to send and they even have an RV tech line you can use on the road and IIRC even cover you in Canada. I've read stories where AAA has refused to tow dually pickups and the RV Plus is a regional thing, etc., etc. Also, the CoachNet is around $100/year (you have to belong to one of the many clubs, mine being the HR one to get that price) and my last AAA RV Plus for the two us was close to $175.

Now I've probably gone and jinxed myself and will break down going back to Va and have a bad experience with CoachNet :lmao:

Larry

That sounds pretty good, and pretty reasonable. We've never had a flat , but did break down twice in 2 older RV's & had no problem w/AAA towing us. I have heard other horror stories about AAA not having the equipment necessary to tow a MH however. I may look into CoachNet when we start going places other than FW (50 miles round trip).:rotfl2:

I agree that GS ERS is hit and miss. I have had numerous occasions to use them (sadly). Sometimes the service is flawless other than the slow response (which is universal). Other times it has been down-right infuriating. I have twice requested a tow by a big-rig tow and they sent a flatbed tow truck! The last guy actually tried to pick the front end with his flatbad and lifted his tow truck off the ground... nothing like waiting 4 hours for the WRONG TRUCK! I am still a subscriber, but I may look into CoachNet when it is up.

My experience with GS exactly, sad to say. DD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter