Embrace The Rain!!!

jenniferma

DIS Veteran
We visited Magic Kingdom last Tuesday morning.. woke up in the pouring rain and were kind of sad. We'll.. we had an 8:05 ressie at Crystal Palace, we bought ponchos on the way into MK. When we arrived, we were seated promptly and the restaurant was not full. Instead of the usual 60-1:15 time our CM told us it takes to see all four characters, we were done and had seen all four in 45 minutes!

Our DD2 and DD4 had a blast splashing in the puddles... and we had NO lines in Fantasyland-- we rode Peter Pan twice in a row-- no wait, rode Small World, Winnie the Pooh, the Carousel and Dumbo (maybe 5 min wait).. Towntown was empty too-- saw three Princesses and Minnie, Donald and Goofy-- no lines!!!

That morning was the highlight of our trip! I guess what I am trying to say is don't get down if the weather is bad-- it was wonderful for us!!!

have great trips-
jen

Sounds like a great time!

Some of my best times at WDW were in the rain. Once at AK. Holly and I had our ponchos on. So many people were not prepared or did not want to buy ponchos that they were huddled under every scrap of cover possible. I have a photo of 30 people huddled in a tiny covered around on one of the bridges.

Another time, Holly and I went to MK during an afternoon in the summer. Yeah, of course there was a downpour. We decided not to run and hide and this time, we did not have our ponchos. So, we strolled hand-in-hand down the center of Main Street as people ran for cover. We saw people trying to hide under the hanging plants! We were soaked. My over-used joke on that day was asking the CM at every ride, "Do you get wet on this ride?"

Glad you had a good time Jennifer. We needed the rain on Tuesday badly!

Ted

I totally agree. The day it rained while we were at Epcot was the best day of our trip. We even got to ride TT before they closed it. TT in a light sprinkle is...different. That light sprinkle turns into needles going 60 MPH. :)

One of our best memories of last year's trip was the day it POURed and we were in MGM! It was simply the best just rsplashing through knee-deep rain in the middle of the park! All the other people- and really, it seemed like EVERYONE- were huddled underneath roofs of shops or crowded inside the shops- it was a mess! I wouldn't want to be them! So we just kinda laughed to ourselves and kept splashing throguh the puddles. It was so great. I also got a great pic of myself in a poncho riding the star wars bike in the rain. Very dramatic.

We have gone down several times with no rain at all and it was great. The last time we went it rained every single day we were there and it was cold.
Guess What ... we still had a great time. I learned a wonderful lesson last December ... it does not matter if it rains we, unlike many, were willing to look a little silly with our ugly poncho's on but we had a GREAT TIME none the less.

Someday, when you have nothing better to do, grab your old Disney park maps or look at a WDW guide book, and consider all the attractions at each of the four parks.

How many of those attractions would likely be closed because of rain?

Case closed!

Enjoy.

We have gone in July and August and got hit with TS each time. We love it!!! The parks were empty, the weather was warm and we had a great time. We are doing it again this July, We love Florida Rain!
Alicia pirate:

Ted and Holly said:
My over-used joke on that day was asking the CM at every ride, "Do you get wet on this ride?"

Ted

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: That is a good one. I will have to remember that for when it pours.

Going to the parks in the rain is great...as long as you don't mind getting somewhat wet. There are hardly any lines and you can do whatever you want.

Do the ponchos that you buy at Disney have Mickey or any other character on them or are they just the clear plastic ones? Also, how much are they? I'm trying to decide if I should buy some before we go or just buy them in the park.

We leave in 11 days :cheer2:

2 Happy Kids said:
Do the ponchos that you buy at Disney have Mickey or any other character on them or are they just the clear plastic ones? Also, how much are they? I'm trying to decide if I should buy some before we go or just buy them in the park.

We leave in 11 days :cheer2:

The ponchos at Disney are clear with Mickey on the back.

I love it when it rains! Especially in the summer months. I travel to parks all across the country and while its never good for photography its always a blast to visit a park when it rains as most rides will still continue to run. At Disney World as someone mentioned I can't think of a single ride that wouldn't run!

I still have a rain coat I bought at Universal's IOA about 4 years ago for $40 and it's never let in the rain once.

Jennifer

I agree, we don't even watch the weather forecast the week before we go, aside from a hurricane, nothing will ruin our trip to Disney. Remember, it's only water, chances are you won't dissolve and you'll surely dry out.

This past April first day..it poured fro about 90 minutes while at MK...we were soaked waiting it out in Toontown barn along with everyone else. So we did the character lines and did all 3...the funny thing was everyone was stasnding near the entrance watching he rain or shopping. We dried off and di the pictures..It was a great use of time. We loved it! I'm glad hardly anyone else thought about it.

I actually head over to IOA sometimes after it's rained heavily to enjoy the lack of crowds :)

I do love it when it rains. Just got back from WDW yesterday. Tuesday it rained from late morning through mid afternoon while at MK. It really cut down the crowds. I always carry disposable ponchos (cost me 20 cents each) that are thin but effective. When the rain stops you just throw them away. Between a good tour plan and the rain we waited for nothing. Rode everything of interest and hit our favorites multiple times. We still had time to leisurely stroll around the park, talk to cast members and smell the flowers.

I agree, the rainy days were the best days of our vacation. :thumbsup2

I've planned what park we should go to each day. But now I'm wondering if it does rain if I should maybe go to another park to take advantage of the light crowds. For example, if we're at Epcot maybe we should get over to MK. What do you think?
MeggP

We were at AK last Tuesday and waited 5-10 minutes for EE and went on it 3 times in a row!!!! :woohoo:
It was awesome to be there in the rain. Just grab some ponchos and enjoy the low crowds. Being from Oregon, we are used to the rain and felt like we were at home! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter